Chicks of Cuckoo Bird!

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Chicks of Cuckoo Bird!

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:50 am

Richard Dawkins in one of his talks "Greatest show on Earth" mentions the new born chick probably few hours into it, shoves the other eggs (of the host) out of the nest, for its own survival (selfish, self-centered conduct). I found a short video on Youtube on it, so fasicinating. Yet, the cuckoo spieces are dying. I guess, the cosmos doesn't support the selfish self-centered attitude.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Chicks of Cuckoo Bird!

Post by Tosh » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:22 am

Dodos are also extinct; they were so trusting of humans that sailors could just walk up to them and club them to death. In fact 99% of the all the animals that have ever flown, walked, crawled or swam on planet Earth are now extinct.

Extinction of the species seems to be the natural order of things; what the cosmos wants; sad though that may seem to us.

I wouldn't impute selfish - self centredness onto a baby chick either; the chick is just what the Universe has created it to be. It's like trying to blame a vicious dog for being vicious. That's not the dog's fault; the Universe created the dog that way.

It's the same for being an alcoholic; I don't believe I'm to blame for that. My genetic inheritance (which I had no control over), coupled with all of my experiences (which I had little or no control over) led me to being an alcoholic. Obviously - and paradoxically - to recover I've had to take full responsibility for all of my actions.

I think that's why they say we shouldn't judge a man till we've walked a mile in his shoes. Don't judge baby cuckoos till you've walked a mile in theirs. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: Chicks of Cuckoo Bird!

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:30 am

The bonobo chimps were victims of Congo Civil war. Again selfish self-centered nature of human race in play. Perhaps the sailors ate too many Dodos too soon not giving time for them to reproduce. :(
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)