So, when do you meditate?

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Niagara
Forums Old Timer

So, when do you meditate?

Post by Niagara » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:23 am

I'm just curious as to when folk meditate.

I think it was joe mcQ (forgive me if I'm wrong) suggested that meditation is like preparing yourself for the day ahead - heading out into the world in a non peaceful state, will result in a bad day, or words to that effect. That's the general gist of it anyway.

I can see the wisdom in that, but....it's difficult. I'm up at 6.30 am every morning. I'm NOT a morning person. I am very shrek like, or walking dead, depending on the day. I can see how meditation in a morning would be beneficial to me, but honestly I struggle with it. I either end up nodding off - seriously, I had to say the st francis of asissi prayer several times today because I kept losing track and kind of nodding off whilst sitting upright, or, the family wakes (teenagers, daughter needs 2 hours to ready herself for school, I kid you not) and families are noisy. It's difficult to meditate with a chorus of 'muuuuum, where's the *insert random household item here*

I know the logical answer is to get up earlier (I'm shuddering internally at the thought), but falling asleep during...does that even class as meditation? Not terribly calming when you wake an hour later and end up in a mad spin because you're now late for work :lol:

Does anyone meditate at any other time of day? Do you have a set time of day? (also heard this is beneficial). Do you do it on the fly? how do you deal with noisy kids and finding that quiet time to do it?

Again, I think I just answered my own question here. Put my big girl panties on and get up earlier. Ew. :lol: Still curious as to others habits, though :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Re: So, when do you meditate?

Post by Duke » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:42 am

Morning Niagara.

I've outlined my ritual before so I won't again. As you say, it's usually in the morning. However, like you, I have many days when trying to take the time necessary in the morning means getting up very early and usually, an invitation to go back to sleep.

I found that on those mornings, doing my meditation while walking (on familiar turf, by the way) usually does the trick. I put some very calm music on my headphones and head out for thirty minutes or so. It's not the same as sitting quietly, but I think the effort alone is enough to bring some amount of the results.

Also, I've found that closing myself in a room at work and sitting quietly for even a few minutes while breathing slowly and steadily helps quite a bit as well.

I used to try meditating while driving (someone suggested it) but it proved too dangerous for me. However, I do make an effort to keep peaceful music on while driving. That way, at least I'm not pulling myself further from that peaceful state I seek.

Good luck. Please share anything you come up with that works for you.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:45 am

Does anyone meditate at any other time of day? Do you have a set time of day? (also heard this is beneficial). Do you do it on the fly? how do you deal with noisy kids and finding that quiet time to do it?
Usually I try to do it in the morning after the first tea. But today, as usualy my daughter came back running after missing the bus, after little bit of drama, I had to look into other stuff. I am going to sit for a 15 minute meditation after this post.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:55 am

There is no way I could stick to a set time, either to do it or for how long, far too regimented for my taste.

I do agree that it's best not to leave home in the morning without at least spending a few minutes to 'get my head together,' but as it has been said life gets in the way of that sometimes.

The idea of sitting quietly at work or wherever for a short while during the day I find very beneficial, just to say thanks for the day so far and showing me the way sort of thing. Also the idea of the right music I agree, I hooked my small stereo set to the computer, you tube has some very relaxing and inspiring stuff, I have a desk top link to you tube and the song 'Amazing Grace – best version by far,' you read inspiring stuff on the screen and listen to a great singer, can't help but feel better after.

For the sake of someone really new perhaps reading these meditation discussions, I would just like to point out that often we discuss meditation as part of the program, but the sort of regimented setting aside certain times and so forth is a personal choice, and not mentioned in the literature. The meditation in the literature is of a meditating or pondering on the word type, be it the words in the book that we may better understand, or any other inspirational passages we choose.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:02 am

"Sought through prayer and meditation" makes the two inseparable for me, and "Pray without ceasing" is what I actually do. Learn to live in that frame of mind rather than trying to figure out when or how much. But if forced to pick a specific time, it would be in the evening so I can both fall asleep and wake up there.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:26 pm

Every morning at 4:30 am and every evening at 20:00 pm; usually for 10 minutes.
The morning is accompanied with 30 mins of "spiritual reading" (lectio divina) which is also meditation.
...a score card reading zero...

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:58 pm

I don't work outside the home so after I get up, around 10am, after coffee, after attention to this board and reading and writing at the Daily Reflection forum. Needless to say, I don't get to it - I get distracted. I know I need to change this, and luckily getting up earlier doesn't seem to be the fix. I need a set time. And I need to stick to it like it is the most important thing I have to do in the day.

Still balking at it, even though I have had previously been in a good routine and getting good results. Sigh.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:40 am

Because of my ruddy family - trying to be spiritual with a family isn't easy - I usually meditated before bed, quite late, when the noisy gimps have all settled down.

I mean my daughter would get up really early to travel to college (it took her two trains and she had to do the full make-up thing before leaving the house), then Mrs Tosh gets up and when most normal people get up, they go and have a cup of tea; not her, she's up 'n' at 'em, rattling around the whole house with the hoover.

Then in the evening my daughter would be talking (loudly) on the phone, or playing music, or asking me for money, and Mrs Tosh would probably be hoovering again (I'm sure she's got a cleaning disorder).

So I found around 11pm worked for me.

Now my daughter has left for university, it's a lot quieter around here, but I'm still in the habit of meditating quite late on.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:41 am

Spirit Flower wrote:Every morning at 4:30 am and every evening at 20:00 pm; usually for 10 minutes.
4.30 am does not exist.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:30 am

Down by the river at sunrise, the dawn chorus is my choir and gateway to a quiet head. Listening intently to the river and the birds till nothing else exists in my head sets me free from thoughts of self or worldly cares allowing my morning prayer to come from the heart not the head. I read my 'Just for Today' card on the way back home to give me direction for the new day.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:42 pm

Wow Robert - sounds live you live in the place of dreams! Though I suppose with a little effort ~ work~ I could meet the morning chorus without too much urban interference! Work being the operative word.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:11 pm

Yes Paige i live in a lovely little Scottish village, now that the AA programme has given me the eyes and the heart to see it. Whilst drinking I perceived it as a dead end backwater with no endearing qualities whatsoever. Now however I can't imagine living anywhere else. Surrounded by lovely people, beautiful countryside I have come 'home' without moving an inch physically. Mentally and spiritually however I have travelled far thanks to the 12 Steps. Still travelling, this is a journey with no end!
Sorry if I've gone off topic a bit.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:50 pm

The other option is to put in ear plugs and shut your eyes and imagine a scene in nature.
Who knows, it may materialize.
...a score card reading zero...