Meditation rings

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
Momster5515
Forums Enthusiast

Meditation rings

Post by Momster5515 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Hello is this an OK place to ask about meditation? OK great because I was wondering if anyone is or has a similar experience in the beginning while doing so. ?
If I'm pretty emotional like tears and S***, I'm getting some gray wavy smokey like circles. I call it energy rings. Lol not sure what it is foreal. Sometimes I get humming or ringing in my ears. The other night I was doing a guided meditation with Lillian on utube and it was as if a porch light was turned on. Ya know in the distance. Its always black, and its always like gray swirls that eventually run into a moving ring that's flowing far out from my face. Anyone? Oh and last night I done a meditation looking for a spirit animal and I woke up with my dream on my mind. My cousin was standing in front of me with a damn bird on ur shoulder and the bird had a dime in its beak. Lol. Is this bad stuff? I enjoy it and wanna just flow with it. I look forward to meditation. Seems as when I use binarual beats from utube the wavy gray rings moving from my face, they start atbswils. But the rings form FASTER with the beats. Anyone else?

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: Meditation rings

Post by leejosepho » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:10 pm

Smoke rings might not be attractive for everyone, but the idea in relation to recovery is something like this:

"...we found ourselves thinking, when enchanted by a starlit night, 'Who, then, made all this?'" (page 46)

And overall, many of us have learned to enjoy something like this:

"We have come to believe He would like us to keep our heads in the clouds with Him, but that our feet ought to be firmly planted on earth. That is where our fellow travelers are, and that is where our work must be done. These are the realities for us. We have found nothing incompatible between a powerful spiritual experience and a life of sane and happy usefulness." (page 130)

Here is what I do:

Pray for God's will in my life;
Listen and "meditate" upon that by reading our book;
Ask for whatever help I need to do what is shared in it.

If smoke rings or energy rings help get you there and are not illegal or fattening, good deal!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:57 am

Any task done with awareness is meditation. It could be a mandane task, like walking the dog in the wood. Do you hear the leaves ruffling under your feet? The birds chirping? Or Are when you just eating your food, are you just showing the food down the throat? Or when you drive do you take every turn mechanically or with awareness? I was chatting with a friend, he said, suddenly he regressed, with too much in his head and one day, never had a faint idea how he took those winding stretch (of roads) back from his kids karate lessons. Lot of accidents happen due to "too much noice in the head". And the 12 steps gets us grounded.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:22 am

I have heard members speak about first attempts at meditation and many were similar to what I tried, and what you are trying now, I lit incense and tried to sit on the floor with legs crossed, also tried various you tube suggestions as you have done. In the seventies when transcendental meditation was popular I had tried that as well, so I thought I could go back to it. None of these things worked out for me, I didn't feel worse doing them but really didn't feel any lasting benefit as well. Let me quote a section from the 12 & 12 page 101 which helped me --
This much could be a fragment of what is called meditation, perhaps our very first attempt at a mood, a flier into the realm of spirit, if you like. It ought to be followed by a good look at where we stand now, and a further look at what might happen in our lives were we able to move closer to the ideal we have been trying to glimpse. Meditation is something which can always be further developed. It has no boundaries, either of width or height. Aided by such instruction and example as we can find, it is essentially an individual adventure, something which each one of us works out in his own way. But its object is always the same: to improve our conscious contact with God, with His grace, wisdom, and love. And let's always remember that meditation is in reality intensely practical. One of its first fruits is emotional balance. With it we can broaden and deepen the channel between ourselves and God as we understand Him.
Please let's not allow the fact that they mention God to put us off, any higher power will of course do. But really as the book says the purpose is to improve our spiritual well being, because after doing what is suggested up to step 9, and having hopefully had a spiritual awaking, whatever happiness and serenity we then feel are the fruits of the program, and to build on that is our purpose, and I believe the purpose of mediation.

Lee said “meditate” by reading the book, this sort of thing has come to make great sense to me, the act of meditation does not have to include music, incense, or thank heaven sitting with our legs crossed, the book says it is a personal thing we pretty much do what works for us. On the page before that (#100) the word 'ponder' is used, sounds like an old fashioned idea, but in practice I believe is very useful. If you see something really nice, or have a nice thought, you stop and 'ponder' on it for a short while, even if just to think 'what a beautiful flower,' anything you like, to me all of these things are meditation.

Also something I keep in mind, on page 63 of the big book it says in relation to prayer “the wording was of course quite optional,” many prayers in the book and things on which they suggest we might meditate might sound 'weird,' especially to younger folks, just put your own words and thoughts in if you feel better. Once again do what works for you and best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:57 am

I have attempted different kinds of meditation. No experiences like that to report, so far...but I've found that TRYING to meditate is kind of counter productive for me. Still my mind....I say that to myself and my mind says 'don't think of purple rhinos'..and voila, purple rhinos stomping all over my head space. I don't do well at all, with the sitting still type, at the moment.

I find as Avaneesh already mentioned, mindfulness works for me to still the mind far more than TRYING to still the mind does. Sometimes I can achieve this for quite a while, other times, mere seconds before my head is yanking me off in another direction. I do know that it works when I get those cheeky obsessional thoughts running around in my head (just to clarify, I don't mean alcohol) What can I say, I quit alcohol and realized how many other obsessions were hidden by the booze :lol:

I ask for directions with my prayers, and with meditation I listen out for them. when I am calm and focused (strangely, usually at work when I'm cleaning - I practice mindfulness a lot at work) but the other day, just sorting through the odd sock pile (have to be focused to do that :lol: ), came the answer to something that's been popping up on my inventories quite often, and the answer was just out of reach when I struggled to find it. Relax and stop struggling, and often it just comes. Revelations. I don't get those when my head is noisy. At the moment, trying to think my mind still simply = the opposite happening.

I can't say whether your experience is bad stuff or not. Increasingly as time goes on, I feel meditation is an intensely personal thing, rather than a one size fits all thing. As long as it works for you, is all that matters :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Momster5515
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Momster5515 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 am

I feel like that's the only reason I started meditating. Was to get that "lovelovelove" deep in my cheast while I had an awakening outside looking out at the earth. The sky, the ground and trees, where the earth met the sky. It was brief. I didn't realize what was happening until afterwords. I was filled with peace and serinity for the rest of the evening and I felt like I could have become a nun the next day lmao... It faded..that feeling of deep understanding with ppl and situations. Nothing has came close to that LOVELOVELOVE .. I want to feel it again. In that degree. I'm scared I will forget and the obsession to use will take over again.

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:07 am

I'm going to go slightly off topic here I think, but I think I understand where you're coming from.

I had a massive kick off the back of a step 5. I was like, whoa, what happened there? everything looked different, and I felt as light as a bird. I described it, as having a new pair of glasses. Everything was the same, but it looked different to me, alright.

My sponsor described that as being the closest to God I have ever come, because for the first time ever I was free of the sins of my past, and the fear that went along with them - and those were what blocked me off.

It faded for me too. I'd love to feel like that, day in, day out, but that's not life, I think. We have to grow towards God (of our own understanding) He is doing his part, we have to do ours, not only by our thoughts and words, but by our actions towards others. Keep working those steps Momster :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 am

Momster5515 wrote:...reason I started meditating...get that "lovelovelove" deep in my chest...an awakening...want to feel it again. In that degree. I'm scared I will forget and the obsession to use will take over again.
I believe you have all of that correct and now just need to add the Steps in order to get there in a way that can actually be sustainable. Smoke rings always vanish, but our awareness of God as you understand God in our lives need not...and action, not meditation, is what brings on the seeming magic.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:12 am

I have had moments where I experience amazing peace and serenity and yes I want more. Chasing peace and serenity never works for me, counterproductive even. Fear of forgetting those feelings and regressing can indeed be very powerful and self propagating, so to that end, I don't feed the fear. Becoming awash with gratitude helps to counter the fear and to feed feelings of peace and serenity. To experience it, I have to be it.

A Cherokee Legend

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil - he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego." He continued, "The other is good - he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:55 am

Momster5515 wrote:Hello is this an OK place to ask about meditation? OK great because I was wondering if anyone is or has a similar experience in the beginning while doing so. ?
If I'm pretty emotional like tears and S***, I'm getting some gray wavy smokey like circles. I call it energy rings. Lol not sure what it is foreal. Sometimes I get humming or ringing in my ears. The other night I was doing a guided meditation with Lillian on utube and it was as if a porch light was turned on. Ya know in the distance. Its always black, and its always like gray swirls that eventually run into a moving ring that's flowing far out from my face. Anyone? Oh and last night I done a meditation looking for a spirit animal and I woke up with my dream on my mind. My cousin was standing in front of me with a damn bird on ur shoulder and the bird had a dime in its beak. Lol. Is this bad stuff? I enjoy it and wanna just flow with it. I look forward to meditation. Seems as when I use binarual beats from utube the wavy gray rings moving from my face, they start atbswils. But the rings form FASTER with the beats. Anyone else?
Hi Momster

I've never used the guided meditations with Lilian, but I've been using a variety of different guided meditations recorded by Barrie Konicov for about 30 years now and have found this type of meditation to be a very powerful tool in sobriety. All of his different guided meditations for specific goals--self-healing, stop smoking, weight loss, depression, fear of success, fear of failure, etc-- involve using the same imagery for mental, emotional, and spiritual cleansing by getting rid of subconscious anger and resentments through forgiveness of others and self. Very tame stuff. The kind of imagery you're experiencing with the guided meditations you're using sounds really fascinating. Love the bird with a dime in it's beak. Have you figured out what that's about yet?

Keep coming back....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:56 am

Sorry I don't know much about your background where you are in the journey. The reason meditiation does not work for most people is that they haven't shut off the incessant thinking. We in AA start working on our short comings and as we start making amends, love and tolerance start slowly trickling in. And the voice in the head comes down. Of-course if we don't continue to watch for the character defects, the noise creeps back in and we can't sit still during our meditation.

Another spiritual master used to say most of us not qualified to know god. looking for AA perspective, I see what he is saying. We are filled with so much of resentments, fear, issues we can't experience the power. Thats why meditation is step 11.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:25 pm

There's a great app called Insight Meditation Timer, it has guided meditations on it, or just a timer you can set for however long; it starts and finishes with a bong; no need to clock watch. It also records your meditation statistics and you get stars for meditation targets (such as 10 or 50 days in a row). Stars are very important.

And you can friend fellow meditators on there. There's also groups you can join, like 12 Step groups. I have a couple of sponsees who use this app and they keep an eye on me. It wouldn't be unusual for a guy I sponsor to comment, "Hey, Tosh, I haven't seen you on Insight Timer for a while!".

I plan to be enlightened by Christmas, so I'd better go and meditate.

May all sentient beings be happy, especially me.

Metta.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:12 pm

I plan to be enlightened by Christmas

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, is this cross talk? :mrgreen:
...a score card reading zero...

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:
I plan to be enlightened by Christmas

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, is this cross talk? :mrgreen:
Actually I think it qualifies as cross yuks. :lol: Good in my book!

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:03 pm

One of the most powerful spiritual practices is to meditate deeply on the mortality of physical forms, including your own. This is called: Die before you die. Go into it deeply. Your physical form is dissolving, is no more. Then a moment comes when all mind-forms or thoughts also die. Yet you are still there - the divine presence that you are. Radiant, fully awake. Nothing that was real ever died, only names, forms, and illusions.
Beyond Happiness and Un-Happiness there is peace-Eckhart