My Way up the Mountain

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: My Way up the Mountain

Post by leejosepho » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:23 pm

Spirit Flower wrote:...just had a brilliant idea. Why not meditate on one step an hour? That should get me through 12 hours, then I can work my way back down.
Might work!
I have an appointment with my cardiologist in a couple days, his office is nearly 40 miles away and I will be exhausted by the time I have wound my way through all the heavy traffic while getting back home at the end of that long day.

Sounds to me like you might have a decent plan and I will give it a try.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:21 am

leejosepho wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:...just had a brilliant idea. Why not meditate on one step an hour? That should get me through 12 hours, then I can work my way back down.
Might work!
I have an appointment with my cardiologist in a couple days, his office is nearly 40 miles away and I will be exhausted by the time I have wound my way through all the heavy traffic while getting back home at the end of that long day.

Sounds to me like you might have a decent plan and I will give it a try.
For myself, I looked at step one in the 12x12 today. "Who care to admit complete defeat." It was perfect. Not only for my work day today but also for an ultra marathon. Just admit defeat upfront.
...a score card reading zero...

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:29 am

Spirit Flower wrote:For myself, I looked at step one in the 12x12 today. "Who care to admit complete defeat." It was perfect. Not only for my work day today but also for an ultra marathon. Just admit defeat upfront.
Sometimes it is hard to keep my head wrapped around that thought, but that is exactly what Tiebout suggests. It is impossible to lose after we stop fighting to get somewhere and learn to just face challenges as they come without trying to affect/effect the outcome.
=======================
=======================

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:30 am

"Who care to admit complete defeat." It was perfect. Not only for my work day today but also for an ultra marathon. Just admit defeat upfront.
A friend of mine is known for saying that it is not so much that admitting defeat is losing, it is more like coming over to the winning side! :D
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:My understanding is that the...exists in...three dimensional construct...

The...different...path takes us beyond all human constructs...
leejosepho wrote: I would say the same thing in different words and with or without referencing the same sources while nevertheless seeing no conflict anywhere other than possibly within my own human construct...and then I would, if asked, likely at least try to share all of that in A.A. parlance.
Of course. Choosing the right metaphors for the right audience is always crucial to effectively carrying the message. "Milk for lambs, pasture for sheep" is an ancient wisdom proverb.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:03 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:Choosing the right metaphors for the right audience is always crucial to effectively carrying the message. "Milk for lambs, pasture for sheep" is an ancient wisdom proverb.
Yes, agreed, and then the "shepherds" or more-seasoned climbers can bounce things around and have discussions or even an occasional debate far beyond that as long as their voices do not become so loud as to scare the sheep...or something like that. I often miss the kinds of discussions in Key West when I was new. Nobody cared *who* might be right, we just all knew none of us could afford continuing to be wrong for much longer or we would each soon again be gone. Bill never seemed to be concerned about "protecting the program", but he did seem to care that you and I and others would at least have the untainted nourishment we needed for getting a decent start toward the pasture...and then like Clancy mentions, at least some of us eventually forget all about trying to get to Bermuda and just enjoy riding around in our invisible boat!
=======================
=======================

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:47 pm

leejosepho wrote:
ezdzit247 wrote:Choosing the right metaphors for the right audience is always crucial to effectively carrying the message. "Milk for lambs, pasture for sheep" is an ancient wisdom proverb.
Yes, agreed, and then the "shepherds" or more-seasoned climbers can bounce things around and have discussions or even an occasional debate far beyond that as long as their voices do not become so loud as to scare the sheep...or something like that. I often miss the kinds of discussions in Key West when I was new. Nobody cared *who* might be right, we just all knew none of us could afford continuing to be wrong for much longer or we would each soon again be gone. Bill never seemed to be concerned about "protecting the program", but he did seem to care that you and I and others would at least have the untainted nourishment we needed for getting a decent start toward the pasture...and then like Clancy mentions, at least some of us eventually forget all about trying to get to Bermuda and just enjoy riding around in our invisible boat!
Good topic and I think this particular e-aa forum, "If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else", is the most appropriate place for it as it's off public radar and has low newcomer traffic.

I recommend reading Bill W.'s Dallas speech about how the Big Book was out together. It's hilarious as well as very informative regarding the way Bill grew in sobriety and eventually learned to turn AA over to the care and protection of God. Good stuff.

As an AA member, I am very concerned about "protecting the program" as exactly a it is written in the BB. It's the very least I can do to show my gratitude and honor the legacy of our founders, pass on their ESH. A couple of other members and myself started a Step Study meeting about 2 years ago, the first Step Study meeting in our area ever. I am currently chairing the meeting because the new secretary bailed a few months after taking the job and the meeting doesn't have a regular secretary yet. The only AA members who come to this meeting are 7 newcomers so we started on Step 1 and are working a step per week using the 12 & 12 and the BB. No one is balking, no one is afraid of the Steps, everyone is voluntarily engaged in the process, everyone seems to clearly understand that the Steps are suggested, not mandatory, everyone seems to enjoy the meeting, and they keep coming back! These same 7 newcomers are now also coming to my Thursday night group and sharing their ESH about working the Steps and how it's helping them to stay sober one day at a time. I love it!
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:03 pm

ezdzit247 wrote:...exactly as it is written in the BB...
...working the Steps...
"Here are the steps we took..." (page 58)
...helping them to stay sober...
"...this book is about...find a Power...which will solve your problem (for you)." (page 45)
...one day at a time.
Not in there, but I suppose God can "do for us what we could not do for ourselves" (pages 71, 84) at any pace of His own choosing even if He might not ever wear a watch. In any case, it is the potter that works the clay by making the Steps actually work as the clay takes them to get away from the self that would otherwise block the potter's work.

alcoholic: "God, I offer myself to Thee..."
God: Okay, be still.
alcoholic: "...to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt."
God: Be still and I will.
alcoholic: "Relieve me of the bondage of self..."
God: Take the Steps while I do the work.
=======================
=======================