Hello from Ukraine

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
greenonion
Forums Newcomer

Hello from Ukraine

Post by greenonion » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:33 am

Hello friends.
My name is Igor and i'm an alcoholic.
Today exactly one year since i stopped drinking and thanks God for that.

I have a question. I'm not sure is it correct place for it, but anyway.

I worked as software developers for many years. Can't say that i'm super professional, but i'm doing quite nice things :)
I worked over myself a whole year, i found job and i feel like i can do more.

I just wondering if someone can advise some nice books or articles about how to find clients or projects in IT?
I created a small group of software developers - alcoholics and i found nice small project we are working for. But it's almost done and i need some more clients to stay afloat.
But my experience is too low for such things( I'm trying to read and investigate a lot but no luck so far.

If someone can give some advices I will be more than grateful!

Thanks!
God bless you, today I am clean and sober

Barbara D.
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Hello from Ukraine

Post by Barbara D. » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:55 am

Congratulations on 1 year of sobriety!!!

Having IT skills is great! In the US, the way to become professional is to work for an employer for a couple of years and/or to take courses and get accreditations from colleges or technical schools. I always learned something on my various jobs but I doubt employers would have appreciated paying me a salary for skills I was hoping to acquire by working for them.

One day at a time, more will be revealed!!! Good luck. In fellowship, Barbara D.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am

I haven't a clue about your question, sorry, but I think it's brilliant we've got an Igor from the Ukraine!

Regards

Tosh, from the UK.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:47 am

Tosh wrote:I haven't a clue about your question, sorry, but I think it's brilliant we've got an Igor from the Ukraine!

Regards

Tosh, from the UK.
Me too, Welcome Igor!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Glad you are here Igor!

It is okay to mention the name of a book here in the Forum thread you have chosen "If it doesn't fit anywhere else". But this IS an AA Forum so this thread is kind of like talking in the hall after a meeting. People may or may not be interested. As a general guideline we do not accept links to other pages, but you can request that a link be approved. Usually just AA related stuff, though.

Stick around and meet a few friends here and you will usually find those with similar interests as you. We have a Men's Forum as well in our Registered Discussion which requires you ask for entry - it just keeps the spammer away - no requirements except a desire to stop drinking.

Congrats on 1 year! That is a huge milestone! Have you worked the Steps? I just had my 6 year celebration and I must say, I get a little goofy around my anniversary time! I am glad to have this forum, and an opportunity to be of service here, to keep my hands and my heart busy in AA all day everyday. YOU keep coming back! We are here around the clock, though some times are more active than others! :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

greenonion
Forums Newcomer

Post by greenonion » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Hello again.

Thanks for your replies. To tell the truth I did not expect answers :)

PaigeB, sorry for talking about AA unrelated stuff. But... All the things in my life is actually AA related. I'm trying to be honest, so i asked question that really important for me, because i'm trying to change my life. I know that career should not be my primary target and i need to focus more on other things... And i'm doing that, but job is still a part of my life.

I'm still working on steps, but it so happened that I gave it up due to misunderstanding with my sponsor. Probably i was not ready to go as fast as he wanted. I'm reading a lot and searching for sponsor. But it's not simple here due to pretty low AA community,

Thanks again, and sorry if I am irritated with my questions.

Igor.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Here is the link to the e-aa 12 Step Committee. They will be able to put you in touch with our chat meetings and email meetings as well as our Temporary Sponsorship people!
http://www.e-aa.org/help.php

I always hate to hear a person is without a sponsor! Jump right back into this thing, please. It is rough out there and when we pull back from a part of our program, it may be just that part that is what will end up getting us drunk again!

Peace.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

mikek365
Forums Newcomer

Post by mikek365 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:37 am

greenonion wrote:Hello again.

Thanks for your replies. To tell the truth I did not expect answers :)

PaigeB, sorry for talking about AA unrelated stuff. But... All the things in my life is actually AA related. I'm trying to be honest, so i asked question that really important for me, because i'm trying to change my life. I know that career should not be my primary target and i need to focus more on other things... And i'm doing that, but job is still a part of my life.

I'm still working on steps, but it so happened that I gave it up due to misunderstanding with my sponsor. Probably i was not ready to go as fast as he wanted. I'm reading a lot and searching for sponsor. But it's not simple here due to pretty low AA community,

Thanks again, and sorry if I am irritated with my questions.

Igor.

Hi! greenonion,
Welcome to this Forum, Congratulations on 12 months without using Alcohol.Thanks to this Forum, Regular A.A. Meetings, Readings from Daily Reflections Booklet, Support of other ex-users in my daily life. A very patient Sponsor alcohol use is a thing from my past. Remember! Always! there is no need to be alone as a non-user of alcohol, ever again even though there are few A.A. Meetings were you live in Ukraine. Sharing here is possible as PageB says 24 hours a day, Even if you cannot get immediate Response Reality has shown me there is nearly always Someone, a member, a moderator, on line watching out for others who need support available from what this on line A.A. Service.
Mikek