Page 2 of 3

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:29 am
by desypete
positrac wrote:This is a topic that has an opinion.....
I am an compulsive personality and I can not under any circumstances eat, drink, smoke, have sex, drive fast, or do anything because I am out of frigging control! I guess what this means to me is I have a two fold responsibility and they are 1) I need to know myself honestly. 2) Because I have a idear of my personality and having been honest I need to remove all of the hype and do what I need to do in order to stay healthy. Healthy is more mentally than physically as I am broke all to pieces and I work hard to stay out of the pain meds. These doctors are pushing these drugs to make us all dependent and rarely do they actually listen to our warnings of our addictive personalities if we are totally honest and transparent about our "other" issues like addiction. Not referring that we are all addicts although I know I am and I can't trade one for the other and think I might be getting over on my way of life.

Weed is just another gateway opportunity to do stuff. Some folks may use it for a specific reason and I am not judging as I know life has a sick sense of humor and I too could be begging to get some weed in order to cope with pain.

But overall I think it is more of a reason to get stoned and play the pain card for hair splitting for other portion of society.

you can think what ever it is you wish to think its up to you but the fact is,it is just your own opinion, all i know is aa is clear it has no opinion on such matters and that all medical conditions should be treated by professionally trained people like drs,

they learned to take that stance because of past mistakes that do get repeated by others in aa who give out there opinion on the subject. if we go around telling people there not sober or not living the right way by taking there substances and then they stop taking them, what happens ? they might be ok and find a new way of life but sadly the mistakes they learned was that some people couldnt cope without there substances and would kill themselves, i certainly wouldn't want to sit in an aa room when news of someones death gets announced if i had put my opinion over to that person that they shouldn't take there drugs

my sponsoer has had 3 people who have killed themselves in his 40 odd years and it affected him badly as he questioned himself and if he could of done more or less etc i listen to this sort of wisdom in aa as it makes so much sense to me, if i dont give out my opinion then i can not be held accountable later on

its nothing more than pointing fingers and me thinking i am better than them just because i dont use or take anything but the truth is i dont know how that person really is as we are all so different, we might be alcoholics and share that same nature but we are still different from each other some people have a very high pain tolerance and others much less

of course you can take the view that you dont care if they kill themselves or not just so long as you have been honest enough to tell them what you think.

but for me i like the idea of saying i have no opinion as i am not a dr, if your worried about the effects of a drug then speak to a medically trained person. it takes me out of the problem and directs the person in the right way for them to find there own answers

i would at one time of been shouting from the roof tops about how wrong it would be and there not really sober and not really thinking about how that person really is it would all be about me and what i think on the matter. thankfully i am growing in aa

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 am
by positrac
desypete wrote:
positrac wrote:This is a topic that has an opinion.....
I am an compulsive personality and I can not under any circumstances eat, drink, smoke, have sex, drive fast, or do anything because I am out of frigging control! I guess what this means to me is I have a two fold responsibility and they are 1) I need to know myself honestly. 2) Because I have a idear of my personality and having been honest I need to remove all of the hype and do what I need to do in order to stay healthy. Healthy is more mentally than physically as I am broke all to pieces and I work hard to stay out of the pain meds. These doctors are pushing these drugs to make us all dependent and rarely do they actually listen to our warnings of our addictive personalities if we are totally honest and transparent about our "other" issues like addiction. Not referring that we are all addicts although I know I am and I can't trade one for the other and think I might be getting over on my way of life.

Weed is just another gateway opportunity to do stuff. Some folks may use it for a specific reason and I am not judging as I know life has a sick sense of humor and I too could be begging to get some weed in order to cope with pain.

But overall I think it is more of a reason to get stoned and play the pain card for hair splitting for other portion of society.

you can think what ever it is you wish to think its up to you but the fact is,it is just your own opinion, all i know is aa is clear it has no opinion on such matters and that all medical conditions should be treated by professionally trained people like drs,

they learned to take that stance because of past mistakes that do get repeated by others in aa who give out there opinion on the subject. if we go around telling people there not sober or not living the right way by taking there substances and then they stop taking them, what happens ? they might be ok and find a new way of life but sadly the mistakes they learned was that some people couldnt cope without there substances and would kill themselves, i certainly wouldn't want to sit in an aa room when news of someones death gets announced if i had put my opinion over to that person that they shouldn't take there drugs

my sponsoer has had 3 people who have killed themselves in his 40 odd years and it affected him badly as he questioned himself and if he could of done more or less etc i listen to this sort of wisdom in aa as it makes so much sense to me, if i dont give out my opinion then i can not be held accountable later on

its nothing more than pointing fingers and me thinking i am better than them just because i dont use or take anything but the truth is i dont know how that person really is as we are all so different, we might be alcoholics and share that same nature but we are still different from each other some people have a very high pain tolerance and others much less

of course you can take the view that you dont care if they kill themselves or not just so long as you have been honest enough to tell them what you think.

but for me i like the idea of saying i have no opinion as i am not a dr, if your worried about the effects of a drug then speak to a medically trained person. it takes me out of the problem and directs the person in the right way for them to find there own answers

i would at one time of been shouting from the roof tops about how wrong it would be and there not really sober and not really thinking about how that person really is it would all be about me and what i think on the matter. thankfully i am growing in aa
Opinions---yep that is the ticket.

I didn't and rarely thump the BB as it put me in a classic group and I know what I need to know and refer as necessary. If we are to help those who are still suffering then open mindedness may be a useful tool. This doesn't mean that we are supposed to cave in because they are weak and or refuse to change. What I can express that if they want what I have then I have the means to direct them to that light and the rest is up to them.

We haven't seen the last of this topic in our future and I suspect AA will eventually have to review some policies because our world have clearly changed and addiction is part of society and though NA has the drug end AA also has some of the drug topic as NA/AA do overlap socially whether we want to acknowledge that is immaterial. I don't talk about N/A as I am not a member.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:36 am
by PerryD065
Yeah, but this isn't an AA meeting...I don't want to get into a tradition discussion about that though.

Look, if I was smoking pot, I wouldn't consider myself sober. That's that.

desypete wrote:what is the difference between someone smoking pot or someone high on anti depressants or sitting in a meeting drunk, or any other mind altering substance that is out there that drs give to people ?

it makes no difference to me at all as there all the same, the only difference is that a dr gives them out in a way to try to help people, but people like me will abuse them or not it makes no difference to me if they want to sit in meeting telling me how happy they are being sober but that they need other substances as well to help them that is there own business. not mine

aa is clear on it as its an outside issue and therefore has no opinion so i have to try to follow that myself and keep my nose out and my big gob firmly shut, i am not a dr i dont know someones medical condition i am not trained in that area. so what does my opinion matter it doesnt

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:12 am
by Db1105
individual's medical issues are between them, their doctor, and their Higher Power.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:32 pm
by PerryD065
Basically, if I'm smoking pot, can I pick up an AA year anniversary chip? Please stop being so Politically Correct. I just want to know what you think.

Everyone here is anonymous and anyone can log into this. You don't have to be an AA member.
Db1105 wrote:individual's medical issues are between them, their doctor, and their Higher Power.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:33 pm
by PerryD065
Everyone is too P.C. nowadays that they are too afraid to say what they think.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:35 am
by desypete
PerryD065 wrote:Everyone is too P.C. nowadays that they are too afraid to say what they think.
glad you seem to know what is wrong with everyone else my friend. it will be good to have you around trying to tell us all what is wrong with us.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:36 am
by Niagara
Everyone is too P.C. nowadays that they are too afraid to say what they think
or perhaps they ARE saying what they think, they just think differently to you ;)

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:59 pm
by ezdzit247
PerryD065 wrote:Everyone is too P.C. nowadays that they are too afraid to say what they think.
I've already clearly expressed exactly what I think to the OP:
ezdzit247 wrote:
The use of medical marijuana and prescription drugs is an "outside issue" according to our AA traditions. Tradition 3 clearly states the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. I am aware that the newer edition of "Living Sober" addresses the recreational use of pot and cautions AA members that using it in this way may put their sobriety at risk, but I'm not aware of any AA literature which addresses or cautions against the use of medical marijuana or prescription drugs.

I'm in California and personally know several AA members with long term sobriety who have used medical marijuana for chronic pain, insomnia, diseases, or during cancer chemo treatments. None of them have reported that it affected their desire to stay sober in any way. If I ever needed it for a medical condition, I certainly would not hesitate to make use of it.

Hope my sharing is helpful and that MM helps you cope with your pain.
Unfortunately, I've seen the irreparable damage some AA gurus have caused to both newcomers and other AA members with medical issues who were struggling to get or stay sober. I use the word "irreparable" to describe the damage done because the alcoholics who were bullied into not taking their prescription meds by these know-it-all AA gurus are dead.

Alcoholics Anonymous is and has always been about getting and maintaining abstinence from alcohol. Period. Our primary purpose is clearly stated in the AA preamble: to stay sober and help other alcoholics achieve sobriety. Today, all I know, all I can ever know, is what works and doesn't work for me. I can't know, don't know, and don't presume to know, what works or won't work for any other alcoholic. Early on in my sobriety, I thought I knew and every once in a while I'd be tempted to put on my God-suit and educate everybody, but eventually I realized I was full of crap and turned the AA program back over to God. He seems to be really good at knowing what works and doesn't work for everybody and is much better at micro-managing people's lives than I am.

Keep coming back.....

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:00 am
by johnd
Hi
I may be old school about the use of drugs and pain killers ... But I still view marijuana as a narcotic. I never cared for it even while I was actively drinking. I recently have been witnessing a person who now goes to a heroin clinic who isn't supposed to be using any other substances smoking marijuana on a daily basis . My thoughts are that you are still denying yourself a life free from substances that I believe still alter your production in life. Yes, I have heard of success from marijuana treatment but it was under supervision and a limited supply. I am a firm believer that as an alcoholic I can easily misuse anything that is going to make me feel relief from not only physical pain but emotional pain as well. Just MYHOP.... I've been told by the user that it is not addictive . As I seen his mood swings from happy to angry . is it the marijuana or is it the combo with his daily dose of methodone? ???? I don't know but I have had some terrible physical pain and I wanted relief. But for the grace of God I have a doctor who understands my alcoholism who knows what I won't become addicted to. Mostly Ibupofrin or Tylenol.... Well Good Luck with your decision ... Just my Thoughts.
Keep Coming John D.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 am
by PaigeB
CastNoShadow ยป Sat May 31, 2014 9:15 am

Has not returned to post since starting this convo... :? Do we need to go back and forth? If someone asked me, I would say "talk to your sponsor about it". No one wins, we all have today - or not.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am
by Db1105
PerryD065 wrote:Basically, if I'm smoking pot, can I pick up an AA year anniversary chip? Please stop being so Politically Correct. I just want to know what you think.

Everyone here is anonymous and anyone can log into this. You don't have to be an AA member.
Db1105 wrote:individual's medical issues are between them, their doctor, and their Higher Power.
A one year chip is just a "chip". It holds very little in any value in itself. Try going to Starbucks and buying a cup of coffee with it. What gives it's value is the spirituality behind the chip.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:45 am
by positrac
johnd wrote:Hi
I may be old school about the use of drugs and pain killers ... But I still view marijuana as a narcotic. I never cared for it even while I was actively drinking. I recently have been witnessing a person who now goes to a heroin clinic who isn't supposed to be using any other substances smoking marijuana on a daily basis . My thoughts are that you are still denying yourself a life free from substances that I believe still alter your production in life. Yes, I have heard of success from marijuana treatment but it was under supervision and a limited supply. I am a firm believer that as an alcoholic I can easily misuse anything that is going to make me feel relief from not only physical pain but emotional pain as well. Just MYHOP.... I've been told by the user that it is not addictive . As I seen his mood swings from happy to angry . is it the marijuana or is it the combo with his daily dose of methodone? ???? I don't know but I have had some terrible physical pain and I wanted relief. But for the grace of God I have a doctor who understands my alcoholism who knows what I won't become addicted to. Mostly Ibupofrin or Tylenol.... Well Good Luck with your decision ... Just my Thoughts.
Keep Coming John D.

WOW amazing what you said about this topic. I agree is it not living free and I mentioned that at least for me I need to express that if you use anything other than air then you are denying yourself a sober start because the mind is being held back from growth. It was said what is the difference if a person is drunk or stoned in a meeting? Well I believe the point is I have a responsibility to express they need to figure something out. If they died over night I don't wear that because I made an effort and they might of died even if I never said a word.
I heard this driver yammering on the box one day just bragging about being on Percocet. Well I listened for a while before I cranked up my linear and boosted my signal: I said that is a drug and you are an OTR driver how in the hell can you justify that the off time you'll be clear headed enough to be safe? Got real quiet and then I broke the silence and said we are liable under DOT regulations and the topic got changed real fast. So be it sleep apnea, pain meds, being drunk and or stoned it is amazing any of us make it through the day without being injured in our vehicles.

Fact is we are a drug dependent nation and it is all around us and if I live in a vacuum then what exactly am I doing? I don't disagree with your point and you are 100% correct and I suffer with lower back pain and I have a Tens unit for pain and it keeps me alert and numbs the pain so it is bearable for me on my job.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:25 am
by avaneesh912
At the recent meeting at the correction facility an in-mate opened up and shared this. "I wish I didn't smoke a joint" after 3 years of continuous sobriety". What happened after that was a path that lead him to be incarcerated. If people can just smoke pot here and there and enjoy it, all power to them. But be considerate of the addictive personalities.

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:51 am
by desypete
avaneesh912 wrote:At the recent meeting at the correction facility an in-mate opened up and shared this. "I wish I didn't smoke a joint" after 3 years of continuous sobriety". What happened after that was a path that lead him to be incarcerated. If people can just smoke pot here and there and enjoy it, all power to them. But be considerate of the addictive personalities.
whats to say he wouldn't of picked up a drink without having a joint ? as plenty of people end up picking up a drink and ending up back in prison time and time again without the need to have taken a joint first.

it may or may not lead on to other things but the fact is people take a drink and its game over with or without taking others substances i have never used drugs in my life drink was my poison but i agree with the aa guidelines on this issue

drug use is between the person and there dr and nothing to do with me as i am just a drunk who knows nothing about it aa is about helping me with my drink problem not about helping me with a drug problem there are other fellowships out there that cater for that.