Medical marijuana and AA

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.
CastNoShadow
Forums Newcomer

Medical marijuana and AA

Post by CastNoShadow » Sat May 31, 2014 7:15 am

I'm a chronic pain patient. I have five known herniations in my back and neck, fused C4-C5 and rheumatoid arthritis. I know I am opening a can of worms here and please let it be known this post was created with no evil or negative intentions. I'd like opinions, views, experiences please. Thank you. :)
For every whispered lullaby
And all the castles in the sky
For every word I'll ever need
And all my friends about to leave
For all the time I fell in love
And when my love was not enough
And for the future I don't see
Just let it come down over me

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Re: Medical marijuana and AA

Post by Layne » Sat May 31, 2014 7:43 am

Any time I use pain medication, I am careful to run it by my higher power, follow directions on the label, use honesty, and get off the prescription as soon as possible.

I am an alcoholic and know somewhat about the workings of my mind and my justification denial process; so when using pain medication, I exercise extreme caution.

The above is strictly applicable to me and learned by my hard earned experience in dealing with myself. I wouldn't begin to suggest how anybody else deal with themselves. It is none of my business and definitely outside my realm of expertise.

kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Post by kenyal » Sat May 31, 2014 8:08 am

With your conditions you've no doubt plenty of experience with various pain relief methods. Why not see for yourself how mj stacks up against what you've used in the past? If it's the best pain relief substance for you then the reasonable thing would be to take it as directed. If not, or if the side effects are too negative then you will want to continue your search for sufficient relief.

I think you owe it to yourself to see if it will allow you to live more comfortably. Obviously, if the level of use that relieves your pain satisfactorily is such that you're blasted then a red flag should go up. It would be hard to go through life that way.

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Sat May 31, 2014 11:10 am

For myself, if this was medically prescribed and I was confident I would be able to use it just as prescribed, I'd be fine with it.

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Sat May 31, 2014 12:39 pm

CastNoShadow wrote:I'm a chronic pain patient. I have five known herniations in my back and neck, fused C4-C5 and rheumatoid arthritis. I know I am opening a can of worms here and please let it be known this post was created with no evil or negative intentions. I'd like opinions, views, experiences please. Thank you. :)
The use of medical marijuana and prescription drugs is an "outside issue" according to our AA traditions. Tradition 3 clearly states the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. I am aware that the newer edition of "Living Sober" addresses the recreational use of pot and cautions AA members that using it in this way may put their sobriety at risk, but I'm not aware of any AA literature which addresses or cautions against the use of medical marijuana or prescription drugs.

I'm in California and personally know several AA members with long term sobriety who have used medical marijuana for chronic pain, insomnia, diseases, or during cancer chemo treatments. None of them have reported that it affected their desire to stay sober in any way. If I ever needed it for a medical condition, I certainly would not hesitate to make use of it.

Hope my sharing is helpful and that MM helps you cope with your pain.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Sat May 31, 2014 2:02 pm

ezdzit247 wrote: I'm not aware of any AA literature which addresses or cautions against the use of medical marijuana or prescription drugs.

The link below should be allowed since it’s to aa.org. This seems to be the extent of “approved” literature on the use of prescribed drugs. Marijuana is not mentioned, and the pamphlet itself is just more or less stories from various alcoholics who have used other drugs. My feeling is that the GSO has never had or will have the “stones” to give a definitive opinion on this, and will hide behind the outside issue excuse.
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?o ... product=33

Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O » Sat May 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Brock wrote:
ezdzit247 wrote:. My feeling is that the GSO has never had or will have the “stones” to give a definitive opinion on this, and will hide behind the outside issue excuse.

Brock.
Of course the GSO will never give a definitive opinion on this. There can be no "definitive opinion" on such a matter.

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Sat May 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Brock wrote:
ezdzit247 wrote: I'm not aware of any AA literature which addresses or cautions against the use of medical marijuana or prescription drugs.

The link below should be allowed since it’s to aa.org. This seems to be the extent of “approved” literature on the use of prescribed drugs. Marijuana is not mentioned, and the pamphlet itself is just more or less stories from various alcoholics who have used other drugs. My feeling is that the GSO has never had or will have the “stones” to give a definitive opinion on this, and will hide behind the outside issue excuse.
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?o ... product=33

Brock.

Thanks for the link. Interesting read. Except for the personal stories and no mention of MM, the gist of the pamphlet's text is very similar to what was published in "Living Sober".

The AA BB, pamphlets, and other literature A.A. state that AA is not a medical organization, does not give out medicines or psychiatric advice, and is not qualified to advise anyone against taking a prescribed medication. That reads definitive to me.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:40 am

If I'm in chronic pain, and if a doctor recommended marijuana for medical purposes (i.e. to help me deal with the pain), I'd take it. Just the same way that when I go to the dentist I readily accept Novacaine (a type of cocaine I think?) to help me with the pain of that.

As long as I'm honest with myself, that I'm taking a drug for good medical reasons - and NOT recreationally - then I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I would ask around though, just to make sure that it wouldn't lead me back to the booze, and if I thought there was a risk, I'd investigate to see what the alternatives are. And chronic pain must be difficult to live with. I've only experienced short periods of physical pain and it was a bummer. Respect to any alcoholic - who stays sober with that kind of thing - especially when we know where we can find immediate relief from it.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:19 am

Tradition Ten
“Alcoholics Anonymous has no opinion on out- side issues; hence the A.A. name ought never be drawn into public controversy.”
As others have said, this is a 'to thine own self be true' matter, IMHO.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:53 am

People use marijuana use for any purpose is really none of my business. If you were to ask me why I don't smoke pot my response has always been because I am afraid I might get thirsty.

Unless I am a doctor advising use marijuana or any drug use for medical purpose fall in the category of practicing medicine without a license. It’s not only dangerous but illegal too
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!

PerryD065
Forums Newcomer

Post by PerryD065 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:42 pm

Ok -

So, for example, if I go to get my 10-year A.A. medallion, and I'm also in O.A. and the night before I pick up my 10 year A.A. medallion, I eat 4 chickens, 2 cakes, and 15 cheeseburgers, would you still consider me being sober? Would you say to yourself, "Well, although he ate like he has a problem with over-eating, he still deserves a 10 year medallion for staying sober?"

On the other hand, if I came in for my 10 year medallion and smoked a big fattie last night (assuming everyone knew) would you say that I deserved my 10 year medallion?

Just food for thought ( no pun intended )

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 am

I would know, and this is all about personal responsibility to me. Lets be real, I've seen people sit there and say they have 3 years sober, all the while reeking of booze. It doesn't make a blind bit of difference to my sobriety, but THEY know.

My sobriety is my business and my responsibility. Sometimes I feel like this argument only ever comes about because the person smoking a big fattie either wants to justify it to him/herself or wants validation that it's ok from other people. Either 'yeah yeah, it's fine' (great I can have one, don't feel like naughty child) or 'wow, I'm so misunderstood, why not, huh, huh, huh?' like a teenager not allowed to go to a disco (showing my age there :lol: ) who then goes anyway as an act of rebellion and gets a kick out of that in itself. I stopped doing all that stuff with the steps, thankfully.

If I was in O.A and ate all that, first I would know myself that that is no sobriety (for me). What others think....not important. This is between me and God.

I personally wouldn't touch marijuana for pain because there are other, medically approved painkillers out there. I know my motives would not be good. What anothers motives are is their own business. If they are ok with it, that's their choice to make. Who am I to judge?
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

desypete
Forums Contributor

Post by desypete » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:39 am

what is the difference between someone smoking pot or someone high on anti depressants or sitting in a meeting drunk, or any other mind altering substance that is out there that drs give to people ?

it makes no difference to me at all as there all the same, the only difference is that a dr gives them out in a way to try to help people, but people like me will abuse them or not it makes no difference to me if they want to sit in meeting telling me how happy they are being sober but that they need other substances as well to help them that is there own business. not mine

aa is clear on it as its an outside issue and therefore has no opinion so i have to try to follow that myself and keep my nose out and my big gob firmly shut, i am not a dr i dont know someones medical condition i am not trained in that area. so what does my opinion matter it doesnt

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:52 am

This is a topic that has an opinion.....
I am an compulsive personality and I can not under any circumstances eat, drink, smoke, have sex, drive fast, or do anything because I am out of frigging control! I guess what this means to me is I have a two fold responsibility and they are 1) I need to know myself honestly. 2) Because I have a idear of my personality and having been honest I need to remove all of the hype and do what I need to do in order to stay healthy. Healthy is more mentally than physically as I am broke all to pieces and I work hard to stay out of the pain meds. These doctors are pushing these drugs to make us all dependent and rarely do they actually listen to our warnings of our addictive personalities if we are totally honest and transparent about our "other" issues like addiction. Not referring that we are all addicts although I know I am and I can't trade one for the other and think I might be getting over on my way of life.

Weed is just another gateway opportunity to do stuff. Some folks may use it for a specific reason and I am not judging as I know life has a sick sense of humor and I too could be begging to get some weed in order to cope with pain.

But overall I think it is more of a reason to get stoned and play the pain card for hair splitting for other portion of society.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.