The White Light Experience

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Postby rayurrutia » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:34 pm

All things are possible through God
My freedom is not used to corrupt or abuse anyone.
Freedom is precious. Love your enemies, I realize that I am not God and only want the best for people... LOVE.
The White Light Experience.
Are the people in AA treated differently because of what has happen to them... Why? if they to are alcoholics... who have received a spiritual awakening... You say, but they got a big mouth “who wouldn’t”.
Ray, I got some money... let go get a drink is what the homeless man ask me, as I was waking up in the midnight mission. I told him that I called out to God and He answered my prayers. "Yah, Ray Urrutia White Light Experience." He might of thought I was telling him a joke as he stood there waiting for me to except. I know I would have thought it was a joke if I was looking through his eyes at a alcoholic homeless drug addict who hasn't taken a bath or shaved in no telling how long and still smelling like booze and telling me that he don't drink or do drugs no more cause God answered his prayers. It was funny to people then... but its not funny now since I'm still not drinking or sucking on a crack pipe That's my experience. What else could I possible say but the truth. Real power comes from knowing who is the real God is, or I would be just another average AA member looking for a solution to stop drinking. I read ann2, PaigeB, Karl R Topics all the times. Only from the things that they know do they find strength, and only through the things that I know do I find strength, and only from the things that we have done do we find knowledge.
rayurrutia
Forums Enthusiast

Re: The White Light Experience

Postby ann2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:16 am

rayurrutia wrote:
Only from the things that they know do they find strength, and only through the things that I know do I find strength, and only from the things that we have done do we find knowledge.

That is really powerful, Ray. Thanks for the shout out :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Trusted Servant

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:38 am

I had a white light experience.

20 hours into an acid trip. :lol:
Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Postby JohnZ » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 am

I had a white light experience in my early sobriety, and I've never desired alcohol since.
JohnZ
Forums Contributor

Postby rayurrutia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:10 am

JohnZ wrote:I had a white light experience in my early sobriety, and I've never desired alcohol since.
I remember someone else that had a white light experience bluemoon what step where you on when you had your white light experience... And, much thanks ann2
rayurrutia
Forums Enthusiast

Postby rayurrutia » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:18 am

Abraham Lincoln I never tripped on acid, so tell us what did you see... I'm almost to sure you saw alot of stuff.
rayurrutia
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Warning - Post Contains Vivid Description of a Psychedelic Drug Experience. If you would prefer not to go to that mental space, please be kind to yourself and don't read any furthur. :)

The room just filled with white light, and I thought God was EVERYWHERE!

But a trip that was more fun... I was staying on the beach in the Florida Keys with some friends. I dropped at about 6pm the previous evening. Tripped all night, listened to a lot of good music. Saw showers of shooting stars while I listened to "Abbey Road".

Anyway, dawn comes around and I put on a Dead show from February of 1970 -- "Dark Star." I walked down to the beach to watch the sunrise. I'm listening, and about 20 minutes into the song, the band hits this groove. Suddenly, the rising sun's rays stretched all across the sky and swayed gently. The clouds around the sun turned brilliant shades of purple, green, and orange. The water sparkled like glitter on fire, and whales swam in the water in front of me. It was great.
Last edited by Abraham Lincoln on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Abe, this is not the place to "romance" drugs or alcohol.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:34 am

Is it the group conscious decision of the e-aa.org group that no one is allowed to recount any experiences they had with drugs or alcohol in a positive light? Many drug and alcohol experiences I had were quite wonderful. Most of them were not, of course, but I enjoy the memories.

As a friend who recently celebrated 30 years said to me a few years back: "if we didn't have great experiences with drugs and alcohol, we wouldn't have continued using them." My intention was not to offend you or make you uncomfortable. Just to recount a wonderful memory that I thought someone else with similar experiences might be able to relate to.
Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Tosh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:58 am

I once heard someone share that they had such an overwhelming spiritual experience with drugs that they spent the next 30 years trying to capture it via a spiritual (non drug) method.

I think that's what we do in A.A.; those promises came true when I drank - when it was working for me - but now drink doesn't work for me, I have to take action to try and get the good stuff that I used to get when I was drunk; stuff like being free of economic insecurity - peace of mind.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 am

Well, I'm not sure what the group conscience would have to say, but it's just common sense. We do have our preamble that is read at every meeting that states that we should limit our shares as pertains to alcohol. Sorry, I don't mean to be a b*tch but I was a little disturbed by your post.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby JohnZ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:15 am

A curious and little-known fact: Bill Wilson himself experimented with LSD, long after he got sober and founded AA. He thought it might be of some use to recovering alcoholics, but he eventually rejected the idea. Also, he was undergoing the "Belladonna treatment" when he had his white light experience. The tropane alkaloids in Belladonna make for a powerful hallucinogen, so that may have had something to do with the event. I'm not sure that negates it in any way, though.

My experience did not involve any mind-altering drugs, unless you include caffeine and nicotine. (I was the guy drinking up all the coffee at meetings and sucking down a pack of cigarettes.) But sobriety, after all my years of heavy drinking, must have been quite a shock to my physiology, and that may have played a part.
JohnZ
Forums Contributor

Postby Tosh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:20 am

JohnZ wrote:A curious and little-known fact: Bill Wilson himself experimented with LSD, long after he got sober and founded AA. He thought it might be of some use to recovering alcoholics, but he eventually rejected the idea.

Today, LSD is thought of as an illegal street drug, but back when Bill experimented with it, it was perceived as a genuine pharmaceutical product with a real use in the medical world. There's actually a movement by some psychotherapists to have it legalised for psychiatric use.

What I'm saying is, when Bill took LSD, the thinking around it was very different to how LSD is perceived today.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Abraham Lincoln » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:45 am

Lali wrote:Well, I'm not sure what the group conscience would have to say, but it's just common sense. We do have our preamble that is read at every meeting that states that we should limit our shares as pertains to alcohol. Sorry, I don't mean to be a b*tch but I was a little disturbed by your post.

It's alright. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or make you uncomfortable. The Big Book says it best in "Working With Others":

"If he is in a serious mood dwell on the troubles liquor has caused you, being careful not to moralize or lecture. If his mood is light, tell him humorous stories of your escapades. Get him to tell some of his."

Belladonna used to grow in my backyard. Though I never took it, I had friends who did. It's a strange and disorienting hallucinogen by all accounts.
Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:04 am

Abraham Lincoln wrote:The Big Book says it best in "Working With Others":

"If he is in a serious mood dwell on the troubles liquor has caused you, being careful not to moralize or lecture. If his mood is light, tell him humorous stories of your escapades. Get him to tell some of his."

The intent of that section of the BB was to share funny stories without describing in detail how a drug/alcohol made us feel and without using words like "it was fun", "it was great", the sun was brilliant, the water sparkled. If I were a pillhead, this might make me think, Hmmm, here's something that sounds good that I haven't tried. It think the BB's meaning was more along the lines of "I got drunk at a party where I didn't know the host and fell in the pool fully clothed.", NOT how the alcohol felt going down your throat, how it made your body feel, not how it gave you a buzz" That is what I call romancing drugs or alcohol.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Next

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else