that quick urge to drink how fast it can play with the mind

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

that quick urge to drink how fast it can play with the mind

Postby positrac » Thu May 10, 2018 4:39 am

Yesterday I am out on my tractor mowing and I have a safety headset with a radio and so I hear this commercial about this watering hole. Well that in itself had no bearing on my mind and or feelings at that moment. Now the part that hit me was when they used a glass with ice and hearing the liquid being poured in the glass and for a brief second or so I said that sounds good! How quick it can come with no warning and I was completely off guard when it happened. Over the past 28 years I've had urges to drink and in my younger years those urges were more intense and stayed around longer because my skills of knowing how to deal with those urges was in the infant stages. I am not bragging because this topic for me is not ego driven or giving me bragging rights!

I keep my last drink handy and vivid because I can not allow myself to think I am cured. Point here is we are human and we all get into situations and it is our responsibility to stay out of areas physically and mentally that are unhealthy. So when you ponder of wanting to cave in I hope you'll look at the whole picture before you give in, as you might be giving up a lot and it is always harder to get back what you've lost.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Re: that quick urge to drink how fast it can play with the m

Postby D'oh » Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 am

I guess the Wife is mowing the lawn from now on.

Yes, they can appear out of no where, without much thought or action, "Whiskey with Milk on a full Stomach" kind of thing. An old Boss/Sponsor, use to say "Meetings are like Gas in your tank. Keep the tank full, so you are prepared for instances."
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 am

I think about it as a series of decisions. Where I sit now, there would be many many wrong decisions before the last one of picking up a drink. For a new comer, maybe fewer. But I think the next to last decision for me would be to buy cigarettes. If you every see me smoking, know that I'm about to drink!
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 am

... hear this commercial about this watering hole... (then) the part that hit me was when they used a glass with ice and hearing the liquid being poured in the glass and for a brief second or so I said that sounds good!

Thanks for this topic. It always amazes me when that happens! I do have to stop myself from romancing the idea of a drink. The idea is never the same as the real thing! It comes as a blessing & proves to me that I am not cured... Rarely does a normal drinker have such a reaction, let alone a violent gut punch reaction, to the thought of a cool drink on a hot day.

It tells me, in no uncertain terms, as an alcoholic I do not think of "a drink" the same way as a non-alcoholic. =surprised
Last edited by PaigeB on Thu May 10, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Thu May 10, 2018 10:53 am

My work used to sometimes take me on top of tall structures, once a few of us were having a smoke break looking over the edge and one asked if we ever felt to jump, funny enough everyone said yes. Then I saw a study done pointing out it was normal, also driving off bridges sometimes crossed peoples minds, quite sane people who enjoyed life and didn’t want to end it.

I think if they included recovered alcoholics in the study they would get the same result. We know jumping or driving off would kill us, and when it flashes across the mind we just shrug it off as a weird thought. Since as a recovered alcoholic I know starting drinking again would be the end for me, maybe that’s why these sorts of thoughts occur now and then. When they do I usually just smile and wonder where the hell did that come from, just like jumping off there is never any real danger of actually doing it, providing of course we are in a fit spiritual condition.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby positrac » Fri May 11, 2018 2:04 am

Spirit Flower wrote:I think about it as a series of decisions. Where I sit now, there would be many many wrong decisions before the last one of picking up a drink. For a new comer, maybe fewer. But I think the next to last decision for me would be to buy cigarettes. If you every see me smoking, know that I'm about to drink!

I used to smoke quite heavy and back in the early days cigs were my drug of choice and saved me from slipping. They were legal, wouldn't lose my job, couldn't get a DWI and so in time I was able to quite and I still at times get those urges and yet I think it though and the cost...... Say no more they helped me overcome a period in life. :)
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Sun May 20, 2018 1:52 pm

positrac wrote:
Spirit Flower wrote:I think about it as a series of decisions. Where I sit now, there would be many many wrong decisions before the last one of picking up a drink. For a new comer, maybe fewer. But I think the next to last decision for me would be to buy cigarettes. If you every see me smoking, know that I'm about to drink!

I used to smoke quite heavy and back in the early days cigs were my drug of choice and saved me from slipping. They were legal, wouldn't lose my job, couldn't get a DWI and so in time I was able to quite and I still at times get those urges and yet I think it though and the cost...... Say no more they helped me overcome a period in life. :)

I've been there too, with the cigarettes.

Cake, chocolate and doughnuts are now my drugs of no choice when I'm spiritually low.

Progress, not perfection eh?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else