Denial and Isolation

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Denial and Isolation

Postby Doddering Moron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 am

Denying alcohol to an alcoholic is akin to pouring salt into his wounds. And yet, through AA, I found out that the cause of drinking is denial and isolation. Finding that out doesn't change anything except your attitude toward the disease.

I was born into denial and isolation. 55 years later, I'm ten years without a drink -but still living in denial and isolation.

I only hope that the cop who destroyed my life doesn't ruin my children's lives. If I ever get a shot -I will gut-shoot him. And yet, a simple baseball bat would suffice -and be more satisfying.

Manny Pierce was right "AA is not for everyone".
Doddering Moron
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Denial and Isolation

Postby Layne » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 am

For me, isolation propagates denial. When I started working on my isolation tendencies, I exposed myself to second opinions. Which helped me to confront my denial, which in turn helped me to work on my isolation tendencies. It turned into a snowball effect, but I had to initiate the process before the effects could be felt.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby Brock » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:26 am

Doddering Moron wrote:Manny Pierce was right "AA is not for everyone".

I don’t have a clue who Manny Pierce was, but even our own big book says that some simply can’t ‘get’ the AA program -
Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average.

And you are probably right that - “Denying alcohol to an alcoholic is akin to pouring salt into his wounds.” - And that is why we don’t just deny alcohol, we do the program so the reasons we drank are removed, then we don’t miss drinking at all. Only those who will not give themselves to this simple program live a life of denial, and of resentment to the point they believe a cop ruined their lives.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Tosh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:49 am

Doddering Moron wrote:Manny Pierce was right "AA is not for everyone".

I agree too; it's for those who want it.

You're sounding full of fun so I take it that you're in some kind of mental pain.

Is there a way you can find some peace with the situation with the policeman that doesn't involve violence?

I know I can't be resentful and hating, and at the same time be happy; so why are you letting this policeman control the level of your happiness?
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else