Turning 21

Got an issue with someone or something? Want to whine a little? Here's the place to do it, or to get to know folks, or ask those questions that don't fit anywhere else.

Turning 21

Postby nickjd2301 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:15 pm

This is gonna sound crazy, but... anyways I've always had problems with pills, idk exactly if I do or not with alcohol but my view is if I don't try it when I turn 21 and have a plan to go out with specific chosen people who will limit me that I'll keep thinking about it and try it myself and end up in a disaster. Now I know this is a aa e group. And idk exactly if it's forbidden to talk about stuff like this if not I'm sorry. Just looking for some feedback to know if I went completely in insane or what.. thanks/:...
nickjd2301
Forums Newcomer

Re: Turning 21

Postby Brock » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:06 pm

Welcome Nick. It would seem to most people that if you had problems with pills, you may have similar problems with alcohol. I understand the reasoning, that if you intend to try it anyway, doing so with trusted friends around might be a good idea. Generally speaking the alcoholic is a person who can not have just a couple of drinks, once he starts drinking he will end up in bad shape.

Perhaps someone with direct experience in both pills and booze will be along, and give a better answer, best of luck.
The seed has been planted in his mind. He knows that thousands of men, much like himself, have recovered. B.B. P.113
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Noels » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Good morning Nick and welcome to e-aa. I am an alcoholic. I've always gotten very bad headaches so I did take anything from 2 up to possibly 6 painkillers a day - depending on the severity of the headache and whether it went away. Many times it didn't go away -which is when my tablet intake was around 6, maximum 8 if I had to take during the night as well. On these occasions although the headaches didn't go away the tablets at least eased the pain slightly so I could carry on with the day and still complete my tasks for that day with reasonable success.
Since March this year though I've been going through a terrible experience, is almost constantly in pain - severe headaches, nausea, dizziness, pressure pushing on my brain especially the left side - so my pill intake have almost trippled since March. Yet on 'better days ' I don't exceed between 10 and 12. Do I have an addiction to tablets? Who knows. Am I taking the pills because I'm in constant pain? Definitely.
Welcome to our forum.
Love and light Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:17 pm

Noels wrote:Since March this year though I've been going through a terrible experience, is almost constantly in pain - severe headaches, nausea, dizziness, pressure pushing on my brain especially the left side - so my pill intake have almost trippled since March. Yet on 'better days ' I don't exceed between 10 and 12. Do I have an addiction to tablets? Who knows. Am I taking the pills because I'm in constant pain? Definitely.

Hi, I would go get that checked out. Pain with pressure, nausea, etc. doesn't sound great to me, maybe they can do a scan or something to see if it's something physical that they can fix.

It's possible to overdose on certain meds without being addicted to them. Of course, taking too many can cause other problems, eg certain pain meds can hurt the liver. Some types of pain meds can be dangerous to overdose even by a small amount, eg paracetamol.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Noels » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 am

Thanks Ian, that is scary :shock: :shock: :shock: Thank God then ive been on something else :shock: Not better at all I'm sure but after hearing "Paracetamol" I'm grateful its rather the others :shock: as Panado which is suggested as the safest medication contains that I think so its actually a blessing Panado never helped in the first place! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Noels xxx
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby boozequeen » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:06 am

See I am opposite. I have done almost every drug under the book and never got addicted to any pills or drug but for the past five months I cant go a day without even thinking of alcohol. and the only reason i sometimes do go without it is because I have no money for it. I drink before and after work and if i could hide it at work i would drink while i was there. It runs in the family. oddly enough so does drug addiction. I did heroin and meth for months on end but never got sick, never lost a pound, never felt the need to keep doing it I was doing it to party and because my friends were. Then, my ex of four years cheated on me and I got wasted that very night went out and slept with this guy I went to school with ended up sleeping with him and getting drunk every night just to ease the pain and before I knew it I was just getting completely wasted every night sleeping with a new guy almost every week or alternating between the same guys every couple of days. I black out and dont remember a lot. I now have a boyfriend and he was my best friend for 8 years I love hiim so much and would never want to hurt him but were both alcoholics. Sometimes I even think hes worse than me other than the fact he doesnt sleep with people like I do. I love him so much and am such a drunk I get black out and cheat on him without even realizing it becase I go out and hang out with people who can get me drunk because if i dontt drink i literally cant focus i get the shakes, puke, stomach cramps, zone out, side cramps. the works.
and then end up F*** them and I feel like an awful piece of S***. He gets drunk every day all day like me but he doesnt usually black out like i do. And i cant stop myself. And Im going to tell him eventually about everything that ive done i just need us to both be in a better place when i do so that he understands. And sometimes i wonder if he is doing it to me as well because when we were friends he cheated on two of his girlfriends with me. Moral of the story, dont drink alcohol period. Dont risk it. atleast when i was on drugs i was fully aware of what was going on around me and never did anything like this. on alcohol you just dont carre you get care free your real person and personality leaves your body. and I guess thats why people drink to begin with. thats on of the reasons I drink. Just to get away from my own body every night so I dont have to feel so miserable abouut the person i am. Or maybe its just because I already am such an awful person i need an excuse as to why ive done stuff. Idk. I wouldnt drink tho if i were you.
boozequeen
Forums Newcomer

Postby Brock » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:16 am

There you go Nick, someone with direct experience of pills has fallen into a low place because of alcohol. Thank you boozequeen for coming here and giving your account, but now that you have come and helped others with your warning, it is mine and every other member here's greatest hope, that you might think about helping yourself.

Many of us will give a story similar to yours, didn't like who we were sober, drank to get away from ourselves, ended up in crap. I hope and expect others will be along to encourage you to give the AA program a try, it's really pretty simple, (a little struggle at first), and the urges to drink are gone once the steps are done. Better yet we find out the things that had us wanting to escape from ourselves in the first place, corrected our attitude on those, and leading a life now we never expected.

I will put up a few links to things you might read when you feel like it -

Is A.A. For You – 12 Questions.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/is-aa-for ... can-answer

A Brief Guide To AA.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-42_abriefguidetoaa.pdf

Three Chapters From The Big Book-

1.The Doctors Opinion.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbo ... pinion.pdf

2.There Is A Solution.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt2.pdf

3.More About Alcoholism.
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf

A.A. Meeting Finder.
A.A. Near You.
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
The seed has been planted in his mind. He knows that thousands of men, much like himself, have recovered. B.B. P.113
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby Noels » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:16 am

Thank you boozequeen for your share. At least you have an excuse. .... you do those awful things when under the influence. I wonder what the excuse is for the 'recovered ' alcoholics for their bad behaviour.
Welcome to our forum. Feel free to share anywhere anytime.
Noels
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 am

Noels wrote:I wonder what the excuse is for the 'recovered ' alcoholics for their bad behaviour.

Sadly, when I recovered from alcoholism I wasn't rendered a saint. I'm still human, and I can still react negatively to stuff that shouldn't bother me at all. It took a while to see how things were really going to play out, because my first sober year was such a period of change. Life itself is a learning-curve, we just stumble along learning how to handle situations differently.

But sure, I do have saint-like qualities (modesty, humility, etc.) ;)

(and yes, in case anyone wondered, that's very tongue-in-cheek ... whenever I see someone in AA harping on about how much humility they think they have, it's almost amusing to see them stomping out when quietly invited to let someone else share for a change).
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Reborn » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:56 pm

Alcoholism can manifest itself in all areas of life...drinking is but a symptom of the spiritual malady. I'm a chemical gourmet...whatever I could put in my body that changed me from the neck up I did. I identify as an alcoholic because no matter what "other" things were going on at the time my good buddy alcohol was always there. I have to remember that this disease centers in my mind not my body...that commitee in my head that tells me I'm a no good piece of S*** is the same committee that says I'm better than all of you....and it's the same committee that tells me "you know what just have one drink it will be different this time." It wasn't until I worked the steps with a sponsor out of the Big book that I gave up my precious victim status. I finally got down to causes and conditions....cleared the wreckage of my past...became 100% accountable for my actions and behavior. Today I get to live...to participate not just survive. There is hope here...since these things have happened among us they can happen with you...if you wish them above all else and make use of our experience...a life awaits that you never thought possible!
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132
Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Postby Noels » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:34 am

Blue Moon wrote:
Noels wrote:I wonder what the excuse is for the 'recovered ' alcoholics for their bad behaviour.

Sadly, when I recovered from alcoholism I wasn't rendered a saint. I'm still human, and I can still react negatively to stuff that shouldn't bother me at all. It took a while to see how things were really going to play out, because my first sober year was such a period of change. Life itself is a learning-curve, we just stumble along learning how to handle situations differently.

But sure, I do have saint-like qualities (modesty, humility, etc.) ;)

(and yes, in case anyone wondered, that's very tongue-in-cheek ... whenever I see someone in AA harping on about how much humility they think they have, it's almost amusing to see them stomping out when quietly invited to let someone else share for a change).

Thanks Blue for some explanation. Your explanation "kinda" make sense when an alcoholic "just" became sober and haven't worked our beautiful 12 step program full heartedly and completely yet - I remember when I "just" got sober - up to around 6 months and having only worked through steps 1 - 3 I still had the tendency to lash out and do selfish things - but even then, it was because I didn't know better and I always tried to go back and apologise if I thought I had hurt someone whether through word, action or any other way. Even then I tried to do the next right thing - or rather the next loving action available to me. Since then ive worked the 12 step program thoroughly and by thoroughly I mean "living" our wonderful program to the best of my ability. Now at 21 months sober I still have my moments - especially when irked and when others don't "LISTEN" to what I am trying to say to them but it is short lasting and I always try to rectify my negative action wherever possible by again - apologizing and then doing the next right thing - or rather, the next loving action available to me.

So in THAT sense, I understand and even agree. However, this site have long-term sobriety members who regularly respond. You yourself if I'm not mistaken have 11 years sobriety behind you? Brock if I'm not mistaken have 5 or 6, Paige celebrated her 8th just the other day (congratulations Paige :D I think I neglected congratulating you on that day!), Clouds have in her 30s and so do Spirit Flower ? So there is a wealth of wisdom and sobriety on this site which is what drew me to this particular site and is keeping me here.

So thank you guys for sharing your well-earned wisdom in sobriety with us all. I appreciate you.

Love and Light
Noels xxx

There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby nickjd2301 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:01 am

Thank you so Much Everyone. This Has Been So Helpful!
nickjd2301
Forums Newcomer

Postby Db1105 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am

I know in Narcotics Anonymous, alcohol is a drug. I find myself addicted to almost any chemical that makes me feel good. I sobered up one month before my 18th birthday. The legal drinking age the next state over was 18. I did not go out of state and get drunk for that birthday. I stuck with others in recovery and went to a meeting. When I turned 21 in my home state where the drinking age was 21, I did not get drunk, I went out for dinner, went to a meeting, then went out for coffee afterword.

I have never drank legally, nor to I plan to. The only thing i missed was jail, or the nut house, or some other horrific incident that alcohol and drugs got me into recovery in the first place.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Cristy99 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:56 pm

BOOZEQUEEN ~

Thanks for your post!!!
I too made horrible decisions when I was drinking. The stupidest, most idiotic things seem to make so much sense when we are drunk.

There is hope.
You CAN change!!! And it's not even that hard!!

AA changed my life and I no longer feel like a totally worthless piece of sh*&. And it didn't cost me a dime. Wait...that's a lie, I paid $10 for a Big Book, and I try to donate what I can to the donation basket.

If you're comfortable, go to an AA meeting. You will discover people just like you and it will be comforting. You are not obligated to talk or put money in the basket. Just go with an open mind. :)

Hugs!
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Return to If It Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else