Do you really need a sponsor?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Do you really need a sponsor?

Post by Tommy-S » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:00 pm

The AA Program has a Step for Dealing with Resentments like that... and since harboring resentments cuts us off from the Sunlight of the Spirit, it's a reasonable assumption that ANY Direct Input from Above is tainted, to say the least.

Having a bad experience with anyone NEVER stopped me from getting a drink, and it sure won't stop me from finding someone to help me get or stay sober.

"When I complain about me or about you, I'm complaining about God's handiwork. I'm saying I know better than God."(BB 3rd, pg 449)
"..Instinct & logic always seek to bolster egotism, and so frustrate spiritual development." (12 x 12, pg 36)

When I harbor a resentment, its the same as drinking the poison and expecting the other to die.

I'll pray you'll learn to forgive those who 'hurt your feelings', and get back to joining the rest of us on the Road to Happy Destiny. I've never had it so good :)

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:44 pm

Service wrote:With Gods help we don’t have to do sober what we done drinking and that is not know where were at or know what to do – never knew doing nothing was leaving it up to God
The trouble with God is he's not very good at making his views known. History is littered with really bad rationalisations of self-will by the most religious of people.

When something feels wrong, it usually is; if it feels right, it might not be.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Atheist and Agnostics have to have someone to run to.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:32 am

Service wrote:Atheist and Agnostics have to have someone to run to.
All American, is that you babes? :mrgreen:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 am

Hi all, yes I think Tosh is familiar with user "Service" from being a mod previously. I delete this user's duplicate posts, and I have pm'd this user asking him to share his experience, strength and hope in other forums and on other topics, and gotten no response. It is a bit as if we occasionally get spammed, if you will, by a resentment against a sponsor, or against sponsorship in general.

I think we ALL would be interested to know the source of whatever this user has against sponsors, or sponsorship. I mean, the actual experience. Not to criticize, but just to understand and relate.

We are a safe place and talking about bad experiences sometimes helps . . . anyone is welcome to share the particulars of something bothering them, and we will strive to be sensitive in response.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 pm

And with 'OnLine Anonymity' it is difficult to know who to trust.
For all we know he could be a she or she could be a he. :D

Sponsorship, although not necessary for everyone, can be helpful for those who are unmotivated to do stuff on their own. Some people need to be poked or provoked to spill their beans. :lol:

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:52 am

Religious atheists has to do something and they need someone to do it with so maybe YES where else can you go?

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am

Religious atheists
What point do you wish to argue Service?
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:24 pm

Let's not take the bait this time...
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm with Lali here. I found out when I was drinking that some problems do go away if you ignore them. Like rent. :lol:

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:30 pm

:lol: @ Ed
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Ida
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Ida » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 pm

avaneesh912 wrote:its better to build a relationship with somebody who will look at our side in a un-biased manner.
I totally agree with this statement, but I've had past sponsors that were not objective either. I think God chooses the sponsors we need, whether they are found in the program or not.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:21 pm

GovernMental people need sponsors or some other type of govern mental institution. People who do not have friends in or out of A.A. should obviously have sponsors .
Atheists and agnostics also need to go somewhere – I don’t know why the promise of A.A, like “You will be able to intuitively handle situations that use to baffle us” never happens for sponsored people, maybe it has to do something with the trust in God guess your just going to have to ask your sponsor – LOL p.s how old are you?