Sponsor facing difficult times

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Seva
Forums Enthusiast

Sponsor facing difficult times

Post by Seva »

I am a couple of years in the fellowship & have worked the Steps with the help of my sponsor. I have been recently informed that he is going through a very challenging period of his life with some quite serious allegations going on therefore he is taking some time out & suggested to me that I should look for another Sponsor. I am absolutely ok with this however I am now concerned for his wellbeing & I am finding myself slightly fearful but I feel it would be wrong of me to get too involved in his personal situation given the nature of the things he is going through. My question is as a sponsee what is the right thing to do? I have my own sobriety to think about & I do not want to jeopardize that getting involved with something that is above my head but then again is this self centred of me?

Any advice please?

Selizabeth
Forums Newcomer

Re: Sponsor facing difficult times

Post by Selizabeth »

No just pray for them an check on them send a concerning text to let them knw ur ONLY 1 call away they will call wen the time is right🙏

tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Post by tomsteve »

if allagations arent true then whats the problem? theyre just allagations.

whats the right thing to do- he told you with," he is taking some time out & suggested to me that I should look for another Sponsor."

these are situations that the steps are for.
start at step one on just this.

Serenity1997
Forums Newcomer

Post by Serenity1997 »

Pray for him and let him know if he ever needs anything you'll be there. If praying is not your thing, tell him you'll send positives wishes his way.
Sending much love and light to all!

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

I agree with the suggestion that you just let him know that you are there to help if he feels you can be of assistance. But also feel that this is an opportunity to think twice before rushing off to find another sponsor, think of what you want or need a sponsor for, it’s possible that you just might come to the conclusion that you don’t need one.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Seva
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Seva »

Brock wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:46 pm
I agree with the suggestion that you just let him know that you are there to help if he feels you can be of assistance. But also feel that this is an opportunity to think twice before rushing off to find another sponsor, think of what you want or need a sponsor for, it’s possible that you just might come to the conclusion that you don’t need one.
Yeah I have contacted him just to let him know I am here. I am not looking for another sponsor as of yet as basically I have no idea what the outcome will be & the allegations maybe false etc. However, I do definitely need a sponsor & if I do have to find one it will not be something I rush into now I am a couple of years into the fellowship.