First sponsor but not going well

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Jojo2
Trusted Servant

Re: First sponsor but not going well

Post by Jojo2 »

Alibaba33 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 6:15 pm
Thank you for all your replies,
stories and words of experience. I’m happy to say I’ve now found a new sponsor and now beginning to progress again.
So now that issue is out of the way I am moving on. Its action time and I’m now able to focus on the real issue and why I joined the fellowship in the first place ...to stay sober and work the program in the big book!
Thanks again for all your support Xxx
So pleased you returned to update us.

Thank you for your very positive post.

Keep well.

Stay safe.

RachelG
Forums Enthusiast

Re: First sponsor but not going well

Post by RachelG »

Hello!
Boy do I identify. I didn't understand the sponsor relationship AT ALL when I came to AA. I just looked around for the oldest lady in the room...thinking she must know what she is doing because she has gray hair! Lol. She was lovely and was one of my first AA relationships with someone that I actually talked to...and for that I am grateful. However, her method of sponsorship didn't ultimately keep me sober. It was very similar to what you describe perhaps. We talked daily, had lunch, read the big book aloud, I went to meetings with her...etc. But I drank again. Twice. She was the smart one and told me, maybe I needed to try a different sponsor (you think??). I viewed it as rejection. I drank a lot more. I still had no idea how to find a sponsor... :)

It was then that my HP intervened and sent me a recovered alcoholic that had worked the steps from the Big Book in the way of those original 100 that wrote the book. She was all business. She said she could outline the steps for me from the Big Book just as someone had for her...I would need to do the work..but she guaranteed that it would work. She wasn't dramatic or pressuring. She outlined each step and told me to reach out with questions or when I was ready to move forward. It was a life-saving gift. I worked those steps that she gave me..pretty sure they wouldn't really work for me...and they did! She was right! Today I call her if there is a challenge that I would like help using AA's program of action to solve. And today I sponsor much like she sponsored me...one alcoholic showing another the program of Alcoholics Anonymous!

Good luck on your journey! I'm glad you are reaching out!