Step 4 expected to take up to a year

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?

Re: Step 4 expected to take up to a year

Postby Brock » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 am

The person who posted the original question ‘Tasha’ has not been here to see some of the latest replies, but she was helped by the earlier ones and changed sponsor.

What stands out to me as most important in all of this, is the fact that we can have one sponsor say one whole year for step four, and another sponsor as in Robert’s case, say the first eight steps in eight hours. And I will eat my big book if I am wrong, but I guarantee that if either of these two sponsors were asked why they sponsor this way, the stock answer, (which I believe does great harm to newcomers), will be - “That’s the way my sponsor showed me.”

Why can’t we have sponsors who use a little common sense, and realize that everyone is not the same. The rock bottom drunk who can hardly get out of bed without a few drinks, maybe Robert’s sponsors way, because he needs relief from the obsession fast, and it’s the way they did it in the early days, when virtually everyone who came in needed that approach. For the ‘weekend warrior’ maybe a slower approach would work fine, but anyone with the ridiculous idea of one year on a single step, should be banned from sponsoring.

I think we should always encourage newcomers to ask questions on forums like this one, or ask other members of their group, whenever they feel unsure of their sponsors approach, it saved Tasha and can save others.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tomsteve » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:37 am

Brock wrote:

Why can’t we have sponsors who use a little common sense, and realize that everyone is not the same.

maybe its sponsors playing God?
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby kaosxtech » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:10 pm

While I will say there is no specific amount of time required on each step I have found some do them in a day and some do it over a year. I will say that if you google about 4th step worksheet you will find super cool resources that make it easy. Maybe your the type that likes to soak a bandaid in water over weeks and let it slowly fall off without any pain or discomfort, but in my most humble opinion, just do it now and get it done. If you miss something then just remember there is a step that talks about taking a daily inventory. that is where you can pick up any missed pieces.
Selfishness—self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles. (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62)
kaosxtech
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Sponsorship