Is it required to be a Sponsor

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Re: Is it required to be a Sponsor

Post by tomsteve »

an often overlooked little part in the BB:

None of us makes a sole vocation of this work(carrying the message), nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our spare time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe. A few are fortunate enough to be so situated that they can give nearly all their time to the work.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

theres a LOT of people OUTSIDE the rooms of AA that can use assistance.

JeffS.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JeffS. »

intoxicated_in_aa wrote:My Sponsor continually suggests that I have not completed the 12 steps since I have not Sponsored someone. I also have some other issues with my Sponsor - that he cannot setup a set call time every week. Many times I call and he never calls back claiming he is tied up with something else at that moment. When I do reach him, he claims that I haven't found a Sponsee and that I have not attended more than one meeting per week. I am currently around 4 years sober.

In the past, I wanted to find a new sponsor since I no longer feel comfortable with this Sponsor - I honestly feel like they do not care. My main question was whether you need to be a Sponsor to continue in the program and also, if I should consider finding a new Sponsor.
I have been sober for a little over 5 years and did it about the same way you did. Attending one meeting per week. I never had a sponsor but just kept members numbers if I ever needed help. Step twelve we try to carry the message to alcoholics. If we attend meetings and talk to other alcoholics, we are carrying the message. There are way to many meeting I have attended that are about sponsors and sponsorship. I have seen people fail the program because of having a bad sponsor. Without that sponsor they could have been successful. I have always just treated every member as my sponsor since that is what they are in my opinion. It is like a meeting take what you can use and leave the rest behind. Attending meetings every day, using this website, and keeping members numbers are really great tools.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I never had a sponsor but just kept members numbers if I ever needed help.
So are you saying you shared your inventory with other members? Or never shared with anyone?
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

JeffS.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by JeffS. »

avaneesh912 wrote:
I never had a sponsor but just kept members numbers if I ever needed help.
So are you saying you shared your inventory with other members? Or never shared with anyone?
Yes, I have shared my inventory with other members. I feel like there is nobody I cannot trust in my home group.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Yes, I have shared my inventory with other members. I feel like there is nobody I cannot trust in my home group.
I am glad you shared with others and hope you got clarity on the stuff that is blocking you from your higher power. Not many who come into the rooms have that much courage to do that.

The text gives us ideas on how to pick a person with whom to share our inventory.

I know the word sponsor is not in the book but the chapter "Into Action" talks about opening up with another person. Reason? Self appraisal doesnt lead us anywhere. The book suggests we pick tight-lipped person, if fact then many did their fifth with priests, rabbi..I guess, there werent many in the fellowship. But today we have well-experienced tight lipped personnel.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Billcanojr
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Billcanojr »

No ! No where in AA literature does it say " You have to be a sponsor " .