sponsor question

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: sponsor question

Post by Tosh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi Spiritual Warrior (I love the tag btw), I don't think it matters who our sponsors are with respect to your current problem with yours. In fact she might be teaching you something here, like patience and tolerance. My sponsor said early on "Don't place me on a pedestal otherwise I'll kick you in the teeth." Sponsors are human. And other than taking us through the Big Book, they're not usually spiritual gurus.

I think what I'm clumsily saying is that our sponsors cannot work our program for us. As a fellow spiritual warrior (in the making :lol: ) my job is to grow in effectiveness and understanding. I've had a spiritual awakening, with the assistance of my sponsor, and now it's my turn to carry the message. So I sponsor and I'm still very much human (and annoying).

And another thought is, just imagine if everybody behaved in just the way we wanted them to? What would we learn from that? Spiritual warriors don't run from difficult people and situations; we don't take the softer gentler way; we're kind and understanding even when we don't want to be. That's tough for someone like me.

Welcome to the forum.

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

spiritual warrior
Forums Newcomer

Post by spiritual warrior » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks Tosh, for putting things in perspective:))

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 am

spiritual warrior wrote:Thanks Tosh, for putting things in perspective:))
No problems, it's something we all need. There's areas in our lives that we can't see by ourselves.

I like Tommy's post here:
Tommy-S wrote: Dr. Paul in his story, "Acceptance is the Answer" speaks of those Magical Magnifying Glasses. What I focus on becomes larger.
In a real sense we create the people around us.

And we all have our struggles. Every Tuesday I give an elderly long-timer a lift to my home-group. I've done this for about five years now. He's deaf as a post, miserable as heck, has never done the steps (he says they're bunkum), he makes annoying noises that he's unaware that he makes; he's a bit like a sober version of Father Jack from the TV comedy Father Ted.

Often he's just down-right rude. He phoned me by accident just after Christmas and I asked him if he'd had a nice Christmas. He said "Yes, lovely. Bye!" and just hung up on me. If I can't pick him up and drop him off, I organise it so someone I sponsor picks him up and returns him. He never thanks me; it's just something he expects.

He's my current teacher of patience and tolerance. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Tosh wrote:
spiritual warrior wrote:Thanks Tosh, for putting things in perspective:))
No problems, it's something we all need. There's areas in our lives that we can't see by ourselves.

I like Tommy's post here:
Tommy-S wrote: Dr. Paul in his story, "Acceptance is the Answer" speaks of those Magical Magnifying Glasses. What I focus on becomes larger.
In a real sense we create the people around us.

And we all have our struggles. Every Tuesday I give an elderly long-timer a lift to my home-group. I've done this for about five years now. He's deaf as a post, miserable as heck, has never done the steps (he says they're bunkum), he makes annoying noises that he's unaware that he makes; he's a bit like a sober version of Father Jack from the TV comedy Father Ted.

Often he's just down-right rude. He phoned me by accident just after Christmas and I asked him if he'd had a nice Christmas. He said "Yes, lovely. Bye!" and just hung up on me. If I can't pick him up and drop him off, I organise it so someone I sponsor picks him up and returns him. He never thanks me; it's just something he expects.

He's my current teacher of patience and tolerance. :lol:
Your post was just what I needed today. Loved it! Thanks for the reminder on patience and tolerance...
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:57 pm

ezdzit247 wrote: Your post was just what I needed today. Loved it! Thanks for the reminder on patience and tolerance...
In another spiritual tradition they teach that difficult people are something to be treasured because we can learn so much from them.

My secret nick-name for Mrs Tosh is 'Atisha’s Cook'. :lol:

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Tosh wrote:
My secret nick-name for Mrs Tosh is 'Atisha’s Cook'. :lol:

I had to google that. That's mean. Mean, but funny :lol:
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt