No response to request for sponsor?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Re: No response to request for sponsor?

Post by Lali » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 am

I guess I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about someone from e-AA being available to you during the wake and funeral.

FWIW, I didn't drink at funerals because when I'm sad, drinking makes me more sad and I would probably wind up bawling.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: No response to request for sponsor?

Post by ezdzit247 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:48 pm

catcar wrote:Thank you all for your advise and prayers. I am proud to say that I made it through the stress and sadness of my mother's wake and two nights of my friends hanging out at my house drinking wine and I did not have a single drink. Not even an urge to drink! I am only 4 days sober but it is amazing the strength aa has given me to feel that I do not need to posion myself any longer. My friends gave me a VERY hard time about not drinking because they have never seen me NOT drink but I made it through. My next challenge is going to be figuring out how to tell them that I am not going to be drinking with them at all anymore. They seem really mad at me fot not drinking just these past two days. I really don't get it.
Congratulations on 5 days sober, catcar!

Kudos for standing firm on your decision not to drink. I know it was a very hard thing for you to do with everybody around you drinking but the good news is it does get a lot easier to just say no the longer you stay sober. The longer you stay sober, the more meetings you go to, and the more friends you make in AA, the stronger and more assertive you will become about doing what's best for you regardless of what your family or friends think. In fact, you'll gets so used to the new empowered you, and like her so much, you'll never want to go back to the old you.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson