No response to request for sponsor?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
catcar
Forums Enthusiast

No response to request for sponsor?

Post by catcar »

I requested a sponsor for on line as I am unable to currently make it to an in person meeting and I have had no response. It took me a lot to get to the point where I want help and I am having to deal with my mom's funeral services and my horrible family on Tuesday and I am trying so hard to not drink my way through this and I need help. My dad is an alcoholic and never got help and I feel like I have to do this now to honor my mom ...also myself and my son...what do I do?

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: No response to request for sponsor?

Post by ann2 »

Hi,

Just send the request again. Sometimes actually you are getting a response but it goes into your spam mail. At any rate, the people who offer this service really want to help so please let them know you haven't hear from someone.

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

catcar
Forums Enthusiast

Post by catcar »

I sent additional requests. I wish I could make it to in person meetings because this on line thing is seeming hard to start

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

It is, isn't it? Just remember there's real people here going about their day and trying to take care of business at the same time. But I hope you try to reach an AA member in your area by phone -- I was a little astonished to read in another share that you could only reach an answering service in your area. Let me send you a pm for more on this.

Ann

catcar
Forums Enthusiast

Post by catcar »

I found a way to make it to a meeting today and actually ended up attending a second one in the evening. They were completely opposite meetings and I am so glad I attended the first one first. There were a few women who gave me their numbers so I feel like I am supported now going into this. Thank you and sorry to have sounded demanding and urgent. I was really afraid that I would change my mind on starting aa so I was kind of desperate to get linked up with someone.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

It IS urgent and I'm glad you are demanding help! That's so important. Wonderful that you made it to 2 meetings yesterday! Good work. How are you feeling?

Ann

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

catcar wrote:I found a way to make it to a meeting today and actually ended up attending a second one in the evening. They were completely opposite meetings and I am so glad I attended the first one first. There were a few women who gave me their numbers so I feel like I am supported now going into this. Thank you and sorry to have sounded demanding and urgent. I was really afraid that I would change my mind on starting aa so I was kind of desperate to get linked up with someone.
I too am glad that you demanded help. Good for you for going to a meeting and connecting with sober women. We have a fatal disease and need each other to stay sober. Perhaps one of these women can be a sponsor and take you through the steps.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

catcar
Forums Enthusiast

Post by catcar »

I feel a bit shaky and I thought I would feel better. I guess I was drinking more that I admitted to myself I was. The next couple of days are going to be rough. My mom's funeral is Tuesday and all of my friends are coming around to visit and normally we end up drinking together at any get-together we have. I have not told them I am in aa now and I am not sure if I am ready to or not but I do not know how I am going to get through the next three days with them bugging me to at least have one glass of wine??

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

Catcar,

Funerals are always tough. I am sorry about the loss of your Mom. When my Mom died when I was six months sober (an out of state affair), I did not realize that there were some supportive sober people in the state where my Mom was buried who would have helped me out and been present with me. When folk in my AA meetings have faced the loss of a loved one, they will share about their loss with their AA buddies and often one or two will come along to be supportive. I know that you just met these women whose phone numbers you have. And I completely understand how terrifying it is to reach out to people. However, have you shared with any of the women you met about your Mom's funeral and asked if they could come for support? They may not be able to come for the whole thing, but just dropping by for the wake/viewing might carry you through the hard times. And if that isn't possible, do you have a tablet, cell phone or some such that you can bring with you and use to post here so we can read you and support you?

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon »

If pressed, you could say you're on something which indicates to avoid alcohol.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

catcar wrote:I feel a bit shaky and I thought I would feel better. I guess I was drinking more that I admitted to myself I was. The next couple of days are going to be rough. My mom's funeral is Tuesday and all of my friends are coming around to visit and normally we end up drinking together at any get-together we have. I have not told them I am in aa now and I am not sure if I am ready to or not but I do not know how I am going to get through the next three days with them bugging me to at least have one glass of wine??
I liked what Hawk shared and suggested. Use those phone numbers you got from the gals at the meeting and remember you've got a network of AA friends here on e-AA to support you who are only a click away on your cell phone. You can do this sober, catcar....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Are you in the U.S., catcar. Can you tell us the time of the wake and funeral (including what time zone you are in) so perhaps someone here could be available should you feel the need to make contact with another alcoholic.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

Hello Catcar

I've got nothing helpful to add - just wanted to say sorry for your loss, and how are you doing today?
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

catcar
Forums Enthusiast

Post by catcar »

Thank you all for your advise and prayers. I am proud to say that I made it through the stress and sadness of my mother's wake and two nights of my friends hanging out at my house drinking wine and I did not have a single drink. Not even an urge to drink! I am only 4 days sober but it is amazing the strength aa has given me to feel that I do not need to posion myself any longer. My friends gave me a VERY hard time about not drinking because they have never seen me NOT drink but I made it through. My next challenge is going to be figuring out how to tell them that I am not going to be drinking with them at all anymore. They seem really mad at me fot not drinking just these past two days. I really don't get it.

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

I guess I misunderstood. I thought we were talking about someone from AA being in touch with you during the wake and funeral.

FWIW, I didn't drink at funerals because when I'm sad, drinking makes me more sad and I would probably wind up bawling.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him