Is it ok to have 2 sponsors

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
liz
Forums Enthusiast

Is it ok to have 2 sponsors

Post by liz »

Hi.

I'm pretty new to program.
I should start by saying I really like my sponsor and we have done steps 1-11.
I'm thinking of getting another sponsor I heard from only because I think i need perhaps a different way of understanding.
my problem is that I don't quite know what Im doing prayer/giving to God wise.
Ya i say my prayers in the morning but I have trouble with consistency or even remember what else to pray about...
This is not an atheist issue, I was raised Catholic and have always had faith and prayed in the past.
I just don't know exactly how to organize the spiritual prayers if that makes any sense.
Maybe it's an issue with no practice of meditation, spiritual life,etc.
My hope is a new sponsor can just shed light in a different way for me but I feel kind of wrong about going behind current sponsors back.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: Is it ok to have 2 sponsors

Post by ann2 »

Hi Liz! Good to read you and thanks for an interesting question. I too found I needed help in learning to live the spiritual life, but I didn't expect my sponsor to come up with a regime that made sense to me. I just needed to explore and try things out, listen at meetings (especially when step 11 was the topic) and read AA literature as well as other books that came up on my search.

Definitely go ask for advice from others who seem to have what you want, but you don't need to make someone else a "sponsor" in order to do that. Some people in AA have helpers they consider their spiritual mentors; others invest time in weekend retreats to learn in an undistracted fashion, or both.

But definitely if you are interested in having someone else as a sponsor, tell your sponsor. It's not just a courtesy -- she or he may help you find someone for you :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

liz wrote:my problem is that I don't quite know what Im doing prayer/giving to God wise.
Ya i say my prayers in the morning but I have trouble with consistency or even remember what else to pray about...
This is not an atheist issue, I was raised Catholic and have always had faith and prayed in the past.
I just don't know exactly how to organize the spiritual prayers if that makes any sense.
Maybe it's an issue with no practice of meditation, spiritual life,etc.
Hi, Liz. When I pray in the morning, I go out and sit on my patio and try to gather my thoughts while ignoring that committee that always seems t be yaking in my head 24/7. I basically pray the same thing every morning as it covers everything thtat I want it to. Basically, I ask God to help me stay sober just for the day. Next I ask God to put someone in my path that I can help. I ask him to guide me through the day and to help me conduct myself in the way that he would have me do. When I pray the same prayer every day, I feel like it does not take a heck of a lot of effort and, most importantly, I am asking God to guide me throughout the day.

At night, I thank God for helping me to stay sober that day. You asked about "practice of meditation, spiritual life, etc." Meditation does take practice, but it is a good way to clear your mind so that you can talk to God. So, turn off the television and anything else that may be interfering with your talk with God. And find a nice quiet place. I like to sit on my patio where all I hear are the birds chirping. Very calming. I hope this helped.

And I have known women who have more than one sponsor. Usually, they will have one just for spiritual matters.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

liz
Forums Enthusiast

Post by liz »

Thanks for the replies.

I need to find consistency in my praying or meditating which i also have not had..

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

I had two sponsors for the first four years or so of my sobriety, but not for the reasons that have been mentioned here. Let's just say that it was what I needed. Yes, both sponsors knew about the other and were cool. In hindsight, it was crucial that both knew about the other.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

liz
Forums Enthusiast

Post by liz »

thanks.
What i did was contacted the second person but she just ended up chatting with me, I told her I had a sponsor but just wanted a different perspective so it worked out ok.
Problem is now I am overthinking program and making it more complicated I think.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

The book has precise clear directions on what to do before retiring, waking up and during the day. Maybe you need to revisit those segments of the book.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)