searching for sponsor

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
whitey102874
Forums Newcomer

searching for sponsor

Post by whitey102874 »

Good morning! I am in the Fort Wayne, In area. I have been clean and sober for over a year. I attend 4-6 meetings a week and am so serious about my recovery. I had a temporary sponsor and that fizzled. I am searching for a SPONSOR that is willing to do serious step work with me. If you are a female, because I can only have a female sponsor, and are seriously interested please email me back.

God Bless~~~
whitey102874

TonyWARMS
Forums Contributor

Re: searching for sponsor

Post by TonyWARMS »

http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

You can go this link, and see if you click with a temporary online sponsor.

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Hi whitey,

Welcome! Good to read you. I recommend hanging out here, reading some shares, and seeing who you are drawn to. For me, the effort of asking someone to sponsor me was really part of the work of recovery. It's also great when the sponsor just adopts you, and I've read of that lucky beginning to taking the steps happening to others, but for many of us, selecting and going out on a limb to ask someone makes one a bit more committed to following through on the effort involved.

Another great part of having a sponsor is having someone in the same group, observing and supporting as one involves oneself in the meetings. If you want to join e-AA, there are several ways of participating -- these forums, the chat room, the mailing lists (our women's email meeting is very active). Keep showing up, share, help out, and respond to the shares. You'll get known and you'll get to know others. Be a part -- and this is maybe how the adoption process happens :)

Meanwhile, there are some great online resources, for example, the Joe and Charlie Big Book Comes Alive tapes and transcripts, our 12 Steps forum, the Big Book, 12 Steps and Twelve Traditions . . . :)

Lots of folk willing to pass on their experience, strength and hope. Whose experience, strength and hope speaks to you? You may know right away, or you may want to give yourself some time to consider your options. But you are welcome here, so please keep coming back!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

whitey102874
Forums Newcomer

Post by whitey102874 »

TonyWARMS wrote:Http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

You can go this link, and see if you click with a temporary online sponsor.

Peace, Tony

I can't get that link to work.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

I fixed it. Try again.

This is for requesting a random member of the temporary sponsor committee to help you. Normally this is effective for people new to AA, folk who often haven't even gone to a meeting. With some information and encouragement they eventually walk through the door and often find a f2f sponsor.

For people going to meetings and familiar with the program, but unable to find a sponsor where they live, online can be godsend -- it was for me. The internet makes it possible for me to share with AA members all across the globe, and learn about our common problem and the common solution, the steps. By being active in this online group, I got to know whose sobriety and principle practicing made most sense to me. Then, I asked her to sponsor me.

I liked choosing myself -- that way I had fewer excuses about following through :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada