hi

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
jd7087

hi

Post by jd7087 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:14 am

29 years sober ( 54 yoa) looking for older timer to talk to maybe from Texas or DFW area ! Thanks

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Re: hi

Post by Texan » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi Johnny! Welcome to the forum.

I'm not what I would consider an oldtimer in the program, but I am an oldtimer age wise, according to my 15 year old son. Just under two years in the program but over 50 on the calendar. But I am from Tyler although I no longer live there. I'm a few hours up the road, nearly in Arkansas. Been up here for 17 years, but have family and friends in Tyler. We have some land down off I-20 that we come down to several times a year to camp and ride 4 wheelers with the kids.
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.

jd7087

Post by jd7087 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey, glad to hear from someone out that in AA land ! Yes, I was raised here and I guess I'll stay here - AA is fair here, especially on the South side - One group closed about 5 months ago after long struggles brought mostly on by themselves. @nd group is in trouble if they don'y get it together quick - There are still 3-4 viable groups with several meeting a week. I am 54 my self !

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi JD,

I'm not a long timer or from the area you mention; though I know roughly where Texas is on a map (just about). I know you all wear cowboy hats and boots and talk like JR Ewing too. It's also hot there. And once I used a US army toilet and read some graffiti on a wall which went "Here I sit muscles flexin', just gave birth to a Texan!" which just goes to show that the US army has a similar sense of humour to the British army.

That's my extensive knowledge of all things 'Texan' so I'd just like to tip my own hat and say 'Howdy partner'.

Kind regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:10 am

Tosh wrote:Hi JD,

I'm not a long timer or from the area you mention; though I know roughly where Texas is on a map (just about). I know you all wear cowboy hats and boots and talk like JR Ewing too. It's also hot there. And once I used a US army toilet and read some graffiti on a wall which went "Here I sit muscles flexin', just gave birth to a Texan!" which just goes to show that the US army has a similar sense of humour to the British army.

That's my extensive knowledge of all things 'Texan' so I'd just like to tip my own hat and say 'Howdy partner'.

Kind regards

Tosh
LOL Tosh! You missed a few. It's common knowledge by everyone outside of Texas that everyone in Texas has an oil well in their backyard, too. Well, personally I don't have an oil well, but we had a few that played out a long, LONG time ago. So now they have decided there is natural gas down there and as soon as the price per thousand CF gets back up, we'll open it up. Oh, and today? It ain't hot! In fact, it is colder than a well diggers butt! It has been an unusually cold winter this year with several bouts in my area down into the low teens. And many of the school districts around Houston are closed because they road crews aren't equipped to spread sand on the roads! It isn't snowing, rather it is icing up! Icy roads combined with mixmaster highway interchanges don't make for a good combination. That and people just drive like idiots down there.

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Hello JD,

Well I'm not from Texas and I am a woman with a more than a few 24s. Hope you find a new sponsor or someone to talk to from Texas. In the meantime, welcome and I'm glad you are here.

For Tosh and Texan, you guys crack me up? <LOL>

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

jd7087

Post by jd7087 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Thanks you a'll - Being from East Texas, we have a nearly Hillbilly Twang - they would argue that _ i have a mixture of Gibberish and Twang and Hillbilly English ! One Day at time - God bless Texas - Lone Star State !

jd7087

Post by jd7087 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Thank You !

Texan
Forums Long Timer

Post by Texan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm

What he said. And the closer you get to Mexico or New Mexico, you get a cross between our Texas drawl and Spanish called Spanglish. And JD will testify that there is a HUGE difference between an East Texas drawl and a West Texas Drawl. Or twang. Whichever it is, it is certainly distinguishable to those with a refined ear.

True story. I worked a contract in upstate New York once a long, LONG time ago. At the branch office (code name for the bar) the barmaid would pay special attention to us just to hear us talk. The more we drank, the deeper the drawl was.

Oh, and JD. We aren't the ones with the weird accent. It is everyone else that isn't from here that has an accent.

Stay warm, Y'ALL!

jd7087

Post by jd7087 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:28 pm

I enjoyed ur post ! Ur are highly enlightened !