What is the difference between a temp and an alcoholic ...?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Seymour
Forums Newcomer

What is the difference between a temp and an alcoholic ...?

Post by Seymour » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:39 pm

Am curious what the difference is between getting a temporary sponser and talking to an alcoholic that has solved the problem?

TonyWARMS
Forums Contributor

Re: What is the difference between a temp and an alcoholic .

Post by TonyWARMS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:00 pm

If you find someone face to face, who has some time in sobriety, and has worked the steps, you don't need a temporary sponsor.
You could ask that person, if they seem stable in their sobriety.

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)

Seymour
Forums Newcomer

Post by Seymour » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Ok thanks for that. I will try a temporary one for a while then!

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Seymour wrote:Am curious what the difference is between getting a temporary sponser and talking to an alcoholic that has solved the problem?
I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I've talked to loads of alcoholics who have solved the problem, or, in A.A. speak, recovered from that hopeless state of mind and body.

But I also have a sponsor, someone who has themselves had a spiritual awakening as a result of the steps, who guided me through the A.A. program.

I hope that helps.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Memers
Forums Newcomer

Post by Memers » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:20 pm

My understanding is that a temporary sponsor is someone who you can meet with or call, until you find someone that you think you can relate with better. Sometimes you find what you need in your temporary sponsor and it works out that they become your permanent one. So if you are new to the program, or happen to part ways with a sponsor, it is suggested to find a temporary sponsor until you can find a more permanent one that suits your needs better. Good luck. Memers

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 pm

A temporary sponsor is someone who can introduce you to meetings and sober AA members, talk about the fellowship and how to find meetings, what to do early on, etc.

A recovery sponsor is (hopefully) someone who has recovered and can show you how it's done. Once you find a recovery sponsor, you no longer need a temporary one.

They might be the same person, or they might be different. But finding a recovery sponsor should be an objective, whether or not you have a temporary one.

Then there are service sponsors - those who can talk about their experience with doing service in AA, explain how different service commitments are done. A service sponsor can be of either gender.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon