I finally have a sponsor.

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
kathywho77
Forums Enthusiast

I finally have a sponsor.

Post by kathywho77 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:53 pm

I finally have a sponsor and she is awesome. We are doing some book work right now.I just got done with my first homework assignment. That was reading Bill's story and underline anything that pertain to me.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: I finally have a sponsor.

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 pm

Great. I got lot out of listening to the Joe and Charlie workship especially when it came to Bills Story. They highlight the ambitious character of an alcoholic, the progress of the disease, the struggle and the entire 12 steps of AA in Bills Story. It will take just about 60 minutes but its really worth it. If you get a chance please listen to that segment of the workshop. Its available on XA-Speakers (Dot) org.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:32 am

I think it's a shame the Big Book doesn't start with the Doctor's Opinion as page 1, like how it used to be in earlier editions of the book, because it often gets missed. Yeh, it's a dry read, but it's good for talking about what the problem actually is (physical allergy and the phenomenon of craving), and the 'psychic change' (aka spiritual awakening/attitude change) as the solution. It's good to read the Doc's Opinion in conjunction with Appendix II which discusses the spiritual awakening in more detail.

My sponsor starts right at the beginning of the book with the preface and the four introductions. His first assignment was to read those and anything else I could about A.A. History, and to listen to the relevant parts of Joe and Charlie; then we'd meet up and discuss. Right from the beginning, he's pointing stuff out like how in our history of A.A. no-one asked to be helped, messaged were carried (Ebby to Bill W, Bill W to Dr Bob, Bill W and Dr Bob to Bill D (3rd man in). In fact some of these guys didn't want to be bothered, but seeds were planted and people got sober.

One of the worst things I hear in A.A. is that "Well, if they don't ask, I can't help them". Makes me want to puke. :lol:

Sorry, did I go off on a tangent then?

And I love the Joe and Charlie workshop at XA speakers; funny guys too; not dry at all.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Franky
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Franky » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 am

KathyWho I smiled so big as I read your post. It took me back to the time I started working the Steps with my sponsor. It was an awesome experience and I learned so much. I learned she was human, she got down sometimes, she had a life, she could be hard, but mostly, her first concern was her sobriety and mine. The most important thing she taught me was that all and any questions I had in this world could be found in the Big Book and the 12&12.

Keep Steppin' :D

chefchip
Forums Long Timer

Post by chefchip » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:23 am

Tosh wrote:Right from the beginning, he's pointing stuff out like how in our history of A.A. no-one asked to be helped, messaged were carried (Ebby to Bill W, Bill W to Dr Bob, Bill W and Dr Bob to Bill D (3rd man in). In fact some of these guys didn't want to be bothered, but seeds were planted and people got sober.

One of the worst things I hear in A.A. is that "Well, if they don't ask, I can't help them". Makes me want to puke. :lol:

Sorry, did I go off on a tangent then?
Did I miss a tangent? :lol: Hell, no, you did not get off on a tangent! At least, it makes me want to puke, too. Another one that irks me is "Sit back. Wait for them to call and prove they really want it." While I don't disagree with the goal of making them take responsibility for their program, how many just-sober alcoholics are that responsible about anything? My sponsor warned (?) me that if I really wanted him to help me, he was going to be active and in my face until I either got it or told him to take a flying leap. I chose the former and now he is not so much in my face these days. Guess I must have gotten it! :wink:

Anyway, Kathy, it looks like you found a good one -- one who went straight to the book to get your feet firmly on the right path. Sounds like she's a keeper! Keep reading.

Chip
The only constant in life is change.

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:24 am

Tosh wrote:I think it's a shame the Big Book doesn't start with the Doctor's Opinion as page 1
More "travesty" than "shame". Dr's Opinion offers a crucial part of the 1st Step.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Tom S
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Tom S » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:57 am

Since it seemed to work, I'll just pass on what was suggested to me when I asked an old timer about sponsoring my first alcoholic. He suggested we start with the fly leaf of the BB, which is blank, and pointed out that is exactly what the new man knows about AA- nothing. We then began reading the book together, slowly and thoroughly. We took special note of italicised sections and when asterisks referred to an Appendix, we went there. We stopped frequently to discuss points relevant to our experience. He bought a highlighter. Fortunately, he grabbed HOW early on and accepted the group as Higher Power. Thus far, we have managed to stay sober....
Gratefully,
Tom