Stopping AA

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
RodneyfromCanada
Forums Newcomer

Stopping AA

Post by RodneyfromCanada » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 am

I have had desire to stop going to meetings cause I ask around for a sponsor all i get is no and i have showed up on reg bases. I am sick of trying every day or week. I thought this may help posting in here thanks DEC 26 2000 quit day. :roll:

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: Stopping AA

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:07 am

http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5297

You may request one from e-aa using the above link. You will be assigned a sponsor based on your gender. You may work with him/her over email/skype or over phone.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

RodneyfromCanada
Forums Newcomer

Post by RodneyfromCanada » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:16 am

yes I got Skype and email and unlimited texting on my cell phone as well. Thanks

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 am

Hi Rodney, welcome! Glad you found us here and posted. I hope you use the link Avaneesh provided, because you will get a sponsor!

Come on back and let us know how it's going!

Ed

RodneyfromCanada
Forums Newcomer

Post by RodneyfromCanada » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 am

dont know who this Jo Jo is but got email thanks for email; one will be found asap .

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 am

She is the coordinator. She finds the next available sponsor and assigns one for each request. Good egg.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

RodneyfromCanada
Forums Newcomer

Post by RodneyfromCanada » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:31 am

Thank U

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 pm

Sorry you had that experience!

Glad you found us and I trust your sponsor will get you through the Steps if your willing to do the inner-work! :) :D :roll: :wink: This is how AA really works!

Together we can!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Mike D.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Mike D. » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:27 am

Hi Rodney from Canada, I hope you won't mind if I make some suggestions about your bad experiences with trying to get an A.A. sponsor. If I understand correctly, you're saying that the people you're asking are telling you "no". Am I right? Well, may I ask you a couple of questions? First of all: Do you know if the people you're asking have actually worked the 12 Steps?? The primary function of an A.A. sponsor is to help a person through the 12 Steps of A.A. If they have NOT worked the Steps, they have no help to give you, and they have absolutely NOTHING to offer you anyway. Is it possible that you may be asking the wrong people for sponsorship? Any person who really has worked all 12 Steps is always eager to help another through those same Steps. Here's another thing: Rodney, I hate to say this but, there actually are "sick meetings" around A.A. These are the meetings where no one is getting real recovery because no one is working the Steps. But, there are also meetings where nearly everyone is doing very well, because they're working the Program. Which brings us to the next question: Are you attending the kind of A.A. meetings where people are actually working the Program? Or, are you attending the kind of meetings where everyone is still sick and struggling? When I was new, I attended meetings that were full of good sobriety and I listened carefully to what people had to share. When I listened closely, it was easy to sort out who I wanted to ask for sponsorship, and who I wanted to avoid. We're all at various stages of recovery in A.A. Some of us are doing well, and others are still suffering. As a suggestion, I'd try to branch out to lots of different meetings. You might try out some new meetings you've never attended before -- even if it means driving a few more miles. We must pick our meetings carefully, and we must pick our sponsors VERY carefully. BTW, if you're an alcoholic like me, stopping meetings would be the worst thing you could do. Keep going to meetings and keep looking and listening. Anyway, I hope I've been a little bit helpful here. I thank you kindly for letting me share with you. Sincerely, Mike D.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:31 pm

RodneyfromCanada wrote:I have had desire to stop going to meetings cause I ask around for a sponsor all i get is no and i have showed up on reg bases. I am sick of trying every day or week. I thought this may help posting in here thanks DEC 26 2000 quit day. :roll:

Maybe it's the wrong DESIRE ?