Sposorship and religion (or lack thereof)

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Re: Sposorship and religion (or lack thereof)

Post by kenyal »

Welcome GPD, glad you decided to participate rather than lurk.

I found the right guy to help me through this when I was new. What I believed and what he believed was never discussed because it never mattered. Based on some things he said I don't think he was Mormon, but I don't really know. And many years later I don't wonder or care either way.

It's almost unavoidable that new people will want others to know what they do or don't believe, but I always stop sponsees when we are in conversation and they get off onto that. I don't care at all, not even a little bit...and it has no effect on my assistance to them in taking their steps. By the time our work together is through they know better regarding how interested others are in the specifics of their spiritual ideas or lack of same.

If you spot a man that you think might help you, it doesn't hurt to converse some and see how he feels about the things he may be willing to talk with you about, and note which areas he will speak in only the most general of terms.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Abraham Lincoln wrote: The bottom line here is that, to get sober, a person has to really believe in something that they learn to love more than the booze.
Can I kindly disagree? This is a program of action, not beliefs. Yes, we need some faith that this works (see Step 2) otherwise we wouldn't do any of it; but ultimately if we just take the actions with an honest, open, and willing attitude; this program works. Belief is not a requirement.

I'm loving life more than to booze too; I'm grateful and excited to be alive, sober, and doing some fun stuff.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

Belief is not a requirement.
Strange mind wounder if they believe that ? LOL
The religious out side sponsorship system needs not to belief in God they doeth the work let go and call your sponsor - Religion or what?

"One of the key quotes from the "Big Book" is, "Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house."

Is the outside sponsorship system that far off base with A.A's message?

Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Abraham Lincoln »

Tosh wrote:
Abraham Lincoln wrote: The bottom line here is that, to get sober, a person has to really believe in something that they learn to love more than the booze.
Can I kindly disagree? This is a program of action, not beliefs. Yes, we need some faith that this works (see Step 2) otherwise we wouldn't do any of it; but ultimately if we just take the actions with an honest, open, and willing attitude; this program works. Belief is not a requirement.

I'm loving life more than to booze too; I'm grateful and excited to be alive, sober, and doing some fun stuff.
I respect where your viewpoint's coming from, and I don't think it's wrong. I don't think mine is wrong either, though. And I think the disparity has mainly to do with each of our connotations of the word "belief."

The way I see it, thoughts (beliefs included), words, and actions don't exist in a vacuum -- that is to say, they all affect one another. When I said "a person has to really believe in something" more than booze, part of what was implicit in that, to my way of thinking, is that they take some action, that they think about it, and that they talk about it.

Beliefs form over time based on thoughts, words, and actions. As I understand it, the AA program is a system of nurturing these three areas of our minds in order to change the beliefs by which we live our lives for the better.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

WHY CAN'T ONE GRASP THE 3 PERTINENT IDEAS OF A.A. ? Why do people think it's their path when it's A.A's path? what's wrong with the letting go and letting God? oh ya I forgot you have to go ask someone else sorry I forgot I was conversing with GovernMental sponsored individuals .

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Wow Service, I mostly don't understand your posts... are you trying to be poetic? Give me one sentence, with no alternate meanings... what is it you are trying to say?

One sentence, 10 words... I might be interested if I understood.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

With respect, Service has been on this forum many times with different names; two of them are Alkie and All American; there's probably more. He never shares his experience, he just gets weird around the subject of sponsorship.

I find that if someone gets themselves into an irrational position, no amount of rationality can dig them out of it.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Right on, Tosh. 'The 3 pertinent ideas'. LOL.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

That is why on his last thread I said that I refused to participate. Let's just ignore him rather than respond to the nonsense. My theory on people like is that they are untreated angry drunks with lots of issues.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Ah, but we have a soft spot for anyone visiting :) Kind of fun to have a little noise, give us a reason to get involved.

I like to compare to F2F and imagine a clubhouse where someone is bringing up stuff like this . . . If we had the info coming from non-textual sources, we would surely understand better.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

I'm always thinking of the newcomer and how certain things that are said could be considered negative, argumentive and nonsensical. I try to keep this in mind when I post.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Abraham Lincoln
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Abraham Lincoln »

Let's be kind to this person. It looks like they're the one in need right now, judging from that post.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

Religious people seek God from the outside through people, places and things.
Spiritual people God seems to seek !

kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Post by kenyal »

Service, who in AA besides yourself is doing AA the right way?

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Love and tolerance are our code. I don't always succeed at achieving it, but it is a goal that I feel is worth striving for. Thanks to everyone for helping me and teaching me as I work on it.