How to find a sponser

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Devon87
Forums Newcomer

How to find a sponser

Post by Devon87 »

I am new to AA. Had a recent scare in the hospital from withdrawal. I'm going to start AA again when I'm outta the hospital and really feel like I needs sponser. I've been to a few AA meetings and have gotten numbers from the graciaspeople I have met if I need help. But how to I go go about getting a sponser. Does it happen fast usually. Also living in NYC and bei g busy it's tough to stick to the same consistent meeting. Will this be a problem findings sponser?

AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Re: How to find a sponser

Post by AlisonT »

It is different all over but some groups maintain a temporary sponsor list and you can ask someone who is a member of the group. Some groups will actually assign you a sponsor but I haven't seen that too often and personally I think it is important for the newcomer to step up and ask. Listen to people's shares and just ask someone (same sex) who you feel is living the kind of life you want. Or if you already have a person in mind from the numbers you have gotten, just call and ask. One thing to remember is that sponsorship is not like marriage. If you don't click with the person you asked you can always change. I don't think it is that important for sponsorship to stick to the same meetings but it is important to try and get at least one meeting a week that you attend regularly so you can get to know people and they can get to know you. If you stick to the same general area though you may find that you see a lot of the same people at different meetings.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Alison shared some good tips! I just wanted to add that for me it did happen fast. And I could not have stayed sober without it... I needed someone to talk to on a daily basis. Then I did change sponsors at about 9 months. I needed to get into the Big Book and the Steps in order to stay sober.

So I say pick somebody, fast. They can help answer questions about sponsorship too!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

Don't worry they will find you !