Primary Purpose

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Primary Purpose

Post by PaigeB » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:58 am

It's never a wrong time for me to remember what saved my life.
Tradition Five: Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.
I was reminded by the Reflection portion of today's Daily Reflection.
A.A. groups exist to help alcoholics achieve sobriety. Large or small, firmly established or brand-new, speaker, discussion or study, each group has but one reason for being: to carry the message to the still-suffering alcoholic. The group exists so that the alcoholic can find a new way of life, a life abundant in happiness, joy, and freedom.
To recover, most alcoholics need the support of a group of other alcoholics who share their experience, strength and hope. Thus my sobriety, and our program's survival, depend on my determination to put first things first.
I got sober in face-to-face AA and continue 90% of my Program actively f2f. Writing here - writing in general is sort of a spiritual practice - my daily activity/maintenance. I sought out the Daily reflections online since it seemed coffee and the internet were inherently connected. I KNEW I needed a daily practice. E-aa is NOT the only place to find the Daily Reflection online, but I found that e-aa had a group service structure AND an adherence to the Traditions of AA AND was a long standing Group within AA - even belonging to a larger service structure of Online Intergroup. http://aa-intergroup.org/

I found my daily practice and that too saved my sobriety.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Primary Purpose

Post by positrac » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:00 am

Good points mentioned about the purpose. I find I am the crusty old school dude. I have some difficulty with all of the electronic distractions in the rooms these days. I feel as if it has made a people add way too much drama in the all about me saga of life in sobriety. My opinion regarding this observation. I embrace the efforts people go to when they see what they want from recovery. We just need not lose focus on purpose and giving back to others as was given to us.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.