Spiritual Excercises

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Spiritual Excercises

Post by martin08 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:02 pm

......another way to look at the steps. I've found these Spiritual Excercises to be the most important undertaking in my life, and for those around me.

Is anyone else ready to try these excercises now? There's no rule that says you have to wait any amout of time after the "fog clears" to be shown a solution to all your problems.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:15 pm

I am ready for anything that helps me grow. Can you give us all a preview of the spiritual exercise?
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

martin08
Forums Long Timer

Post by martin08 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:59 am

My experience with the Spiritual Excercises, or the directions for the Steps outlined in the Big Book, comes mostly from the original Sponsorship model of AA. In the beginning, an alcoholic went through the Steps and was sponsored just to be able to join the fellowship. This model seems a bit stringent by today's standards for allowing membership and, quite frankly, would not allow for very many citizens to join.

But the Spiritual Journey is something I sought. I would not be sober today by simply attending meetings. My sponsor had the privelege of receiving the experience of the ones that had come before us, from Dr. Bob and Ann Smith on down. The transformation process that is laid out in the Big Book was meant to be duplicated as a means to acheive Spiritual Peace and Freedom. My Sponsor read to me, line by line of the 164 page text, told me of his experience (not interpretation or knowledge), asked me to find myself in the Book, then set me on the course of action described therein.

Now I do the same for my Sponsees, and down the line it goes. No 'just reading', no ' just discussing our problems', no 'gratitude lists', etc. But exactly the action the Big Book says we must take, we "must or it kills us".

Not everybody needs the Steps to have a Spiritual Experience, nor to live clean and honestly. But I could not find God in any other way.

Maybe not everybody is immediately positioned to find a Sponsor who can show you what he or she did through the directions in the Big Book. My extensive travel has actually proven that very few people do the Steps and even fewer try to duplicate the Spiritual Journey that our founders laid out. I certainly cannot duplicate the process over the internet, but when I ask "is any anyone else ready to try...", I can say that where there is a will, there is a way to find a Sponsor who has done the Excercises.

A good place to find what the truest early intentions were for Alcoholics Anonymous is in the book "Dr. Bob and the Good Oldtimers", paying particular attention to the family, medical and religous aspects of the only real program, the Spiritual Excercises - The 12 Steps of AA.

The whole world around me is better for that transformation. My peace and sobriety is just a by-product. Thank you for asking, and a whole hearted search will yield fruits, God's truth and our real purpose for walking this Earth.

Martin

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes it is true, Spiritual Life is not a Theory we have to live it. No matter how many books you read, meetings you go to, we need to transform. I am grateful to be living at a time where we are just not have to learn from meetings or from your sponsor. My story is I got the message listening to one of Chris Rs speeches that you will be shielded from the curse of alcoholism (by the way the power will do this for you) once you do the deal and continue to do the deal every day there after (10, 11, 12). I have done 5th step with 2 sponsors and i constantly clear the mess i create along the way. Today i have various people in the program with whom i share my short-comings....never talk about my problems in the meetings. if i am, then i am still not recovered. it is self-fish and self-centered to talk about our problems in a meeting of AA. The preamble says we share our Experience Strength and Hope, if we keep Expletive about our problems (where is the strength?), we won't be able to offer any hope for the new-comers. A guy in our group always says, he was told to keep it simple and he often says, spirituality is helping others and being anonymous. For me, i always go back to the 3rd step prayer. How can i be of service to Thee.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

martin08
Forums Long Timer

Post by martin08 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:24 pm

It is refreshing, Avaneesh, to hear the word, "recovered". On the cover page of the Big Book, right under the the title, comes the very first Promise of Alcoholics Anonymous - "How many thousands of men and women have recovered from alcoholism."

I was asked to never take anybody else's words or experience on this promise, but to test it for myself. Test everything in the steps, as a matter of fact. So I have, through prayer, asked to be shown the answer. Not only does God not want me to drink anymore (I've tested this and the obsession has been completely removed for over 4 years now), He wants me to ask...

Is recovery possible for anyone who honestly seeks it? Yes. But please, don't take my word, there are tests for that....

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:57 pm

yes i am living the 10th step promise:

========================
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
===========================

I still fight my wife though :? But the obsession has been lifted. I store liquor for guests in my house. I go to get together where liquor is served. If people offer liquor i opt for soft drinks if they force, I politely tell them that i am an alcoholic and tell them if i start, there will be nothing left for other folks at the party. They get intrigued. Gives me an opportunity to talk about the program to potential alcoholics (have not found one yet in the parties). This is a great progress for a guy whos car will automatically lead me to a package store/gas station each evening for the 1st 22oz of ice house beer, Which would then trigger the allergy ....... The best part is the restlessness, irritability, dis-contedness is gone. That is what we all need to recover from (When the spiritual malady is overcome, we straighten out mentally and physically) which is the 4th step promise.

martin08
Forums Long Timer

Post by martin08 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:45 pm

Isn't it grand when a Power greater than alcohol gives direction! And the tranquility is also a gift.. I've been shown that a fight can't develop from one side only.