11th Step from the DR

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

11th Step from the DR

Post by PaigeB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:14 pm

21st November Daily Reflection

A CLASSIC PRAYER

Lord, make me a channel for thy peace—that where there is hatred, I may bring love—that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness—that where there is discord, I may bring harmony—that where there is error, I may bring truth—that where there is doubt, I may bring faith—that where there is despair, I may bring hope—that where there are shadows, I may bring light—that where there is sadness, I may bring joy.
Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted—to understand, than to be understood—to love, than to be loved.
For it is by self-forgetting that one finds.
It is by forgiving that one is forgiven.
It is by dying that one awakens to Eternal Life. Amen.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 99

No matter where I am in my spiritual growth, the St. Francis prayer helps me improve my conscious contact with the God of my understanding. I think that one of the great advantages of my faith in God is that I do not understand Him, or Her, or It.
It may be that my relationship with my Higher Power is so fruitful that I do not have to understand.
All that I am certain of is that if I work the Eleventh Step regularly, as best I can, I will continue to improve my conscious contact, I will know His will for me, and I will have the power to carry it out.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: 11th Step from the DR

Post by PaigeB » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 pm

That prayer is a nice long one to memorize. LOL ~ I tried for a long time, but my attention span was just too short - especially when I was upset and really needed something to change my mind back to Peace. At first I only used the first line because that is what I wanted - but I sorta knew that what I wanted didn't work in prayers. What I also Know is that prayers were helpful to me, whether they reached a god or not.

I really needed to remember that my Actions were up to me, so I tried to just memorize the types of Actions.
make me a channel of peace (humility)
bring love
bring the spirit of forgiveness
bring harmony bring truth
bring faith
bring hope
bring light
bring joy.
seek to comfort
seek to understand,
remember to love,
(through) self-forgetting
(through) forgiving
(through) dying (ego) (humility).

See how LOVE is in there twice? It's pretty important I guess. AND it was easy to remember too. I mean Love was practically my HP in those early days and still is a big part of my Understanding of an HP. The reading also says, "...the St. Francis prayer helps me improve my conscious contact..." I think this means I can't just sit around waiting for my HP to produce a billboard with detail on the one thing I need to do to be perfect & free forever! No, I need to make a concerted effort to meet HP somewhere in the middle. I have to always be thinking about AA & HP and these prayerful principles. Obviously the "prayer" is a request for assistance, but HEY! Ask HP for help and then help your HP! This is a practical program of ACTION.

So as we in the USA enter a long holiday weekend with family and friends, I try to go back to some basics. I will not always feel like I am on a Pink Cloud with the Angels of God. HAhahaa - in fact it is more likely that I will get stuck with the dishes and the cousin who drinks too much wine (laced with vodka). So my conscious contact with My God comes passionately from me today and likely more sporadically ("HELP!") until Monday afternoon! But if I make a conscious effort to contact HP - you and I both Know there will be a better outcome for ALL!

I also hope I remember to be Thankful during this Thanks-giving time. Gratitude chases petty (ego) annoyance away.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65