Working the steps without a sponsor

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Re: Working the steps without a sponsor

Post by positrac » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:43 am

Seva wrote:
positrac wrote:One point is rigorist honesty as I know I can BS myself the best! So having a person preferably of the same sex as yourself, as the knowledge and explanations can be the clearer method. You have nothing to lose by finding a sponsor and I highly recommend that the person you ask to sponsor is and has a active sponsor. Why? keeping us honest and clear of our duties in sobriety.

When in doubt ask at a meeting and like life you will receive a lot of "opinions" and really your life and quality of life depends on it.
Is there any requirements for a sponsor such has does he / she have to be sober for a certain length of time?
Good question and so I'll pose it kind of like this: You should want to trust this person as to the knowledge of many aspects: 1) understanding points of early sobriety, 2) Having worked the steps the process of putting together a means of success in this process for you., 3) Having the knowledge to go and ask their sponsor for assistance when necessary. 4) Nothing is perfect and so being honest and trying to uncover the past can be hard. I know I had a hard time wanting to let it go!

So I would at least look for someone with at least 2 or more years of consistent sobriety and look at those who have what you want. Clarity, and good outlooks at life because of good sobriety. Lastly simple program for complicated people and I know I can make more out of things than necessary. Answers come when more is revealed and you don't have to understand it today; just stay sober and the rest will follow.

Hopefully that is clear enough????
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

Theo50
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Working the steps without a sponsor

Post by Theo50 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Seva wrote:Hello,

I have attended around 10 to 12 meetings so far & I am enjoying them. I feel like I now have some support etc. I really need to start working the steps but I have no idea how to start.

I have not asked anyone to sponsor me yet as I am still getting to know people. Can you work the steps or at least start to work them by yourself without a sponsor?

Thanks.
In my opinion, you can most certainly start working the steps without a sponsor. I would suggest listening to the Joe and Charlie audios for insight.