Just need to hear some solution in my life

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
NicholeHsunshine
Forums Newcomer

Just need to hear some solution in my life

Post by NicholeHsunshine » Tue May 22, 2018 6:02 pm

I have had to switch meetings around due to a new job and busy home life. I am struggling to get to the new meetings and as a result I can feel the serenity being sucked out of me. Can anyone relate or have suggestions?

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Re: Just need to hear some solution in my life

Post by Spirit Flower » Tue May 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Daily without fail, read a page or 2 of spiritual material, journal meditate pray. Start at page 86 of the big book if you want. You must enlarge your spiritual life.
...a score card reading zero...

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock » Tue May 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Welcome here Nicole.

I know that at first, and even after some of us have been in the program for a good while, we depend on meetings as a source of strength and a place to renew the things which keep us serine. I sometimes hear people say at meetings ‘I really needed this meeting today,’ but there are those also who live in areas without meetings, and seem to get along fine. Online fellowship like this helps, but I agree with Spirit Flower, AA is designed to give us a path to a spiritual awakening, it’s our job to enlarge on that, and for me that’s where my serenity comes from.

I found it helped me in the early days to go to you tube and type in something like ‘AA speakers spiritual,’ and people like Sandy B and others, can give a motivational talk which puts us in a better frame of mind.

We have a good group of folks here, and you are welcome to post anything or ask any questions, keep your chin up things will get better.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

positrac
Forums Old Timer

Post by positrac » Wed May 23, 2018 3:36 am

You know the things mentioned and all of the electronic media available could easy your situation until you become more accustom to the job situation. Have faith that right now you are being tested and it is not about walking that thin line as much as learning to cope with change, and mental mind screws because I can tell you that my sobriety hinged on many things over the years and you will get stronger and learn from this for the future.

Hopefully the job will be better and the rest will follow as you work the solution.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Wed May 23, 2018 3:57 am

There is the fellowship (and meetings) and then there is the 12 steps. We always need to remember that. I vividly remember Joe and charlie mention that the fellowship could only carry us through to certain point but then if we don't have that vital spiritual awakening, sobriety cannot be pleasant. As others pointed out, be in action.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth » Wed May 23, 2018 9:22 am

Hello NicholeHsunshine, My name is Robert and I am a Los Angles area alcoholic. If you haven't already you might want to subscribe to our meeting in print, the AA Grapevine. it was originally published for the members in the military during WWII who couldn't get to meetings. They were found to have a better success rate than our non-military members. I leave mine around where I can easy get to them, in my truck, in my desk at work and it the bathroom at room. it comes in both paper and digital.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed May 23, 2018 11:27 am

It is quite common when a person moves or changes time periods and has to find new meetings. Happens all the time. People change jobs, move to new cities - even relocate to new countries and have a language barrier. But they manage to find AA near them. You had to walk into your first meeting - this is not quite as hard as that was!

You might lean on the hope contained in the beginnings of this AA movement. Pages 14 thru 16 of Bill's Story talk about "a western city and it's environs"... Remember when there was no AA? Informal meetings that folks might travel hours to get to? Back then Bill hit hospitals and alleyways to find a drunk to talk to! Read page 164 from A Vision for You... so much hope when you find this Fellowship to travel the sober journey with!

And of course read Dr. Bob's Nightmare which starts on page 171. On page 181 our Co-Founder Dr. Bob says this: If you still think you are strong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel that you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when getting another drink.

Throw yourself into the history of AA ~ way back when an alcoholics ONLY choice was to drink themselves to delirium and death. Read The Doctor's Opinion. I found that I have a disease that I cannot treat by myself. I HAVE TO HAVE Others to help me. I may have some brief glances at serenity, but really - this is a life or death matter. Your smart feet can save you if you shut off your Ego and get to a meeting. Knowing how our Founders struggled in the beginning will have you feeling grateful for ANY meeting with sober AA folks!
https://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Shoreline » Wed May 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Yes I can definitely relate because I've moved a few times in the last few years. It is hard to get to new meetings, my experience is if you "tough it out" for a few weeks, you will probably get more comfortable with your new schedule. Unfortunately it is sometimes unavoidable to move, or change your work schedule, etc.

NicholeHsunshine
Forums Newcomer

Post by NicholeHsunshine » Wed May 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Thank you all

Greywolf
Forums Contributor

Post by Greywolf » Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm

NicholeHsunshine wrote:I have had to switch meetings around due to a new job and busy home life. I am struggling to get to the new meetings and as a result I can feel the serenity being sucked out of me. Can anyone relate or have suggestions?
When I'm struggling no matter what the cause the life gets sucked out of me. It happened when I moved do
MA from CT to a new job. It happened a year later when I got married and moved 500 miles from the security of my AA group.

Father Ed Dowling told Bill W. that God didn't want him to be comfortable. Now when I'm uncomfortable take it that I'm heading in the right, not the wrong direction in life. Was I uncomfortable making 12 step calls? Yes. Was I uncomfortable making "cold calls" or asking for the a man's business? Oh yeah!

What's changed? My attitude. It wasn't comfortable to ask for a few phone numbers and it wasn't comfortable for me to follow up with a few phone calls. Every uncomfortable situation I live through strengthens me and makes me better to serve God.

This is not experience but "wished for experience": Make time for that family. IMO more than 2 meetings a week is indulging myself. AA is not a substitute for normal life lived guilt free.

Oh to be young again with a busy home life. That's something to be thankful for!! Someone asked me how I did all the things I did and not drive myself crazy. It's easy really. Be present when I'm with people. Be the caring AA member when I'm at AA. Be the loving husband when with my wife. Be the great dad when I'm with my kids, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Be an energetic, productive employee at work. The key to it all is be where I am when I'm there and being the best me I can be.

This isn't AA but it sure works for me in having a great life.
I don't care how much you know until I know how much you care.