Struggling with taking step 3. Please help.

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: Struggling with taking step 3. Please help.

Postby Tosh » Sat May 19, 2018 9:03 am

You know you've done Step 3 when your pen is working on your Step 4.

Simplistic, I know, but I guess at every moment - depending on what kind of mind we have - we either do what we want to do (which might be to have an affair with the next door neighbor), or God's will, which will be something that doesn't harm anyone, including ourselves, and might even help someone.

Right now, God's will is for me to go and do some food shopping; my family and myself need to eat.

My will is that I want to sit on my ass and let everyone know how clever I am (even if I make myself out - unknowlingly - to look stupid).

And most of my spiritual practise is found in the little things; the mundane; God's not asked me to move to Africa and open an orphanage yet (though I do know someone who has done this).

I guess I'd better go get some food.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tosh » Sat May 19, 2018 9:05 am

PaigeB wrote:The practice makes me get progress but not perfection.

Step 3 is a Contract that I make between me & HP to do the best I can at giving up my troubles and defects and my joy as well ~ to the best of my ability everyday. If you do not abandon perfection you will not get to Step 4.

Like! Perfection never gets anything done.

Not even the food shopping. I'm going, I'm going, I know I know...
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby NicholeHsunshine » Tue May 22, 2018 5:58 pm

I know for me if I am struggling with the idea of doing something like accepting, it helps when I take the action anyways. My faith and acceptance tend to follow.
NicholeHsunshine
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to The 12 Steps