STEP 3 MADE EASY

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
Noels

STEP 3 MADE EASY

Post by Noels » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:06 am

Good morning friends, ive had this " scratchy " feeling for the past 2 days that there is more to step 3 than what we automatically understand when we read it or even say at meetings each time we read and hear the 12 step program. This could also be why many " newcomers or not so new-comers" slip or have a hard time when things are happening around and to them although they attend regular meetings and work the 12 step program.
This morning I awoke and " looked " at step 3 again - on black and white as it is written in the big book.
I realized that there are actually 2 separate actions contained in this step. Third step says and I quote " made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him ". The writing is so smooth and flowing that it is very easy not to realize immediately that this is actually 2 seperate actions and not 1 as even I originally " assumed " or " understood ".
Making a conscious decision to turn our will over to the care of God as we understood Him is a completely separate action to Making a conscious decision to turn our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
Once we understand that there is a difference and that Step 3 actually involves taking 2 separate actions AND follow up with 2 actions, everything else that happens in our lives become easier - the decision and understanding whether to accept and let go or whether to learn and take further action as guided on the specific happening in our life at that specific time.
Please remember that this is my personal understanding of Step 3 and could be different to your understanding. Views and opinions are welcome.
Love and Light
Noels

avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Re: STEP 3 MADE EASY

Post by avaneesh912 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:33 am

Yes, the book talks about it. Its just a decision. Some people use the example of 4 ducks making a decision to jump into the pond and ask how many are still on the banks. Still four. Bill W talks about start cleaning up. He does that way before when he gives us the solution.

There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

Like the Bar Rescue TV series. When does the $ starts coming in? After the inventory, remodelling, firing and hiring people. Thats what we do with ourselves. We build a relationship after we clean up, internally.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Post by D'oh » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:40 am

Step 3, was a struggle for me. Really the first Action Step. The first 2 steps, most actually have before even walking through the Doors. "There is a problem with Life, and I need help"

So I got to the 3rd Step, believing that the Group was a Power Greater than myself, and they would help me get what they had in their life's. So how was I to turn my will and life over to the group? Open Meetings, make Coffee and hang around after to clean up and chat?

Then 1 week, after a particular tough time in my Sober life, after a week of sitting on a kind of pity pot. I decided to just Open my mind when I got back to Detox. 2 nights later at a meeting, Joe happened into my life. In a meeting room full of smoke, Joe in a chair that was about 6"s off the ground, his knees were up around his ears. The smoke still was covering some of his face even sitting so low.

Joe didn't say much but he said "Every ones happy faces in this room, that is not them. That is God working through them." They are all just Messed up Alcoholics like you."

Right then I had a belief that there was something more, that God could and would work in my life, if I let him. That was when I made a decision to turn my Will and Life over to his care. That more Will be revealed as we (together) Trudge the Road of Happy Destiney. That all of my Needs have and will always be met, and even some of my Wants, but not all. That even though I do not always understand Why somethings happen at the time, it may or may not be revealed down the Road. All that I have to do is hand over the keys to the ride to Him daily, and do what I believe he would want me to do.
MARCH 12

A DAY’S PLAN

On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead. We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives.

— ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 86

Every day I ask God to kindle within me the fire of His love, so that love, burning bright and clear, will illuminate my thinking and permit me to better do His will. Throughout the day, as I allow outside circumstances to dampen my spirits, I ask God to sear my consciousness with the awareness that I can start my day over any time I choose; a hundred times, if necessary.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Noels

Post by Noels » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:44 am

Beautiful and precious. Thank you gents. Mwah xxx

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:14 am

I am moving this Thread out of IF It Doesn't FIt to the Steps section of our boards.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Noels

Post by Noels » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:36 am

Hi my apologies, Is it supposed to go somewhere else or must I read some rules or something? I'm not familiar how to post and things yet.

Brock
Forums Coordinator

Post by Brock » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:23 pm

No there aren't really any 'rules,' there are some guidelines about what we post you can find here - viewforum.php?f=10 just common sense stuff about not calling other folks bad names and not posting links to non AA sites, and that sort of thing.

If you click to the top left on “Board Index,” the easiest thing I find is to then click on 'view active topics,' to see what's currently going on. But when starting a new topic, by clicking board index and then scrolling down, you see a list of different sections, under recovery you see 'for the newcomer' then 'discussions' then 'the 12 steps' and so on. So since your topic is step3, the best thing is to post it under the 12 steps section, if it was about sponsorship you put it under that section and so on. If it doesn’t fit anywhere else is just that, you can't find a section that suits your topic so you put it there, fairly simple when you get used to it, best of luck.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Noels

Post by Noels » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:57 pm

Thanks Brock. That makes sense. Will give it a try. Not very fond of Internet or computers. For me some of the old ways including a typewriter, reading a book i can hold and queuing in the bank were and still is the best.
Off to bed. It's 23.10 here already. Nite nite
Noels

tyg
Forums Contributor

Post by tyg » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:19 pm

Welcome Noels, glad to have you with us. :)
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~

Bushy
Forums Newcomer

Post by Bushy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:32 am

Hello...my understanding is that my 'will' is my thoughts and my 'life' is my actions. I need to turn both over to the care of my HP.

PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Post by PaigeB » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks Bushy! I have been hearing that same thing. I actually wrote it in my Big Book!

At meetings around here we tend to focus on the Step of the Month so a lot about Step 3 lately and it catches my ear that this step requires the individual alone to exert his will to align it with god's will. That it requires continuous action and practice.

For me faith did not come first. Action, small actions came first and I grew into a faith of sorts. So I have a lot of mark in my 12 & 12 on the last 2 or 3 pages of this chapter. I write this in the margins:
Step 3 is a decision to go through the rest of the Steps and trust the process.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Noels

Post by Noels » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Hi Bushy welcome man :)
Jip that's exactly what I meant when I wrote it :) . Since I realised there is a difference I get on my knees every morning when I awake and say the step 3 prayer out loud. Feels great and then I also know that no matter what happens in that day it will never be bigger than my God and I can't handle together.
Have an awesome weekend and chat again :D