Can you be your own higher power?

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Can you be your own higher power?

Post by PaigeB »

Geeze... I promised to resign from the debating team and I know the feeling Ann & Lali express lol. Seriously though this is too good. Never before have I had the opportunity to debate the issue of Inner Self. I am again relieved that I am not alone in my thinking. I do hope this continues in a way that is mature and non-personal. I would never undermine what is keeping another person sober and Mike & I think we both have the same thing only he calls it God and believes it is a separate entity and I call it Inner Self and believe in no separate entity - yet I DO think we have the same thing!
Mike O:
However, I believe the Big Book is quite clear on the concept of the "Power greater than ourselves"

Neither do I imply that the higher power of anyone who has found something which originated within themselves is fake, for the reasons of faith which I've explained in my last post. However, this is not the same as being "your own higher power"
And it IS the same as being your own higher power... you say "originated" as if It started there and then went somewhere - like up. That is not the case. Everyday, it is from within. I absolutely appreciate Ian's explanation as it directly connects the "experiential nature" that Christian's say is their biggest proof of god's existence. And my experience of spirituality as an atheist comes from within - aided by the love & tolerance of a Group of Drunks.

And coming from an opinion I hear from the many AA's who use the Judeo Christian belief... wouldn't my absolute denial of the existence of god bar me from his light? Surely he makes no exceptions just because I am a drunk (though I have heard that argument that AA IS the chosen 7777 or some number...).

Ann? At this point you are moderating your moderators... like a DCM at a Biz meeting lol... let us know when to cut it off!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

I hear a call to question from the floor.

You're right Paige, it *IS* just us mods. And the fun thing is that we love each other to bits and work together and just love this discussion stuff.

I love it too. I just want to keep in mind the 5th tradition -- no, keep it at the forefront of our minds, always.

I also want us to remember that anytime we post something, that particular post is not negated by anyone's posting something different. There's no need to re-argue points, because forums is not a lineal experience limited by the 4th dimension, as is say, chat, or, say, f2f, although I would say there are a lot more dimensions to f2f.

For me, this discussion taking place in a dunkin' donuts, watching as a newcomer, would be fascinating but also cause that syndrome known as eyes glazing over. Pretty soon, I as a newcomer would be like, "so, what about them mets?"

On the other hands, I really doubt this discussion would take place f2f. There's just too much information we would be passing on to each other with our smiles, our nods, and our glances toward anybody not actively involved in the discussion that is missed when we bring it here to text. All that other communication is really where the action is at, in AA fellowship that I know.

Reading this, people might get the impression that we are really boring people :-) Nothing could be further from the truth!

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

So, hows about them Yankees for next season? I reckon it'll take more than Andy Pettite resigning to get to 28.
:wink:

Jaywalker Steve
Forums Long Timer

Post by Jaywalker Steve »

"Live and let live' comes to mind during these conversations.
Every group has men and women who put too much thought and effort into their daily sobriety and not enough of themselves into their daily living. - Ed B., Akron, OH

Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Post by Mike O »

Jaywalker Steve wrote:"Live and let live' comes to mind during these conversations.
Yes. That and let's get rid of Alex Rodriguez for once and for all.
8)

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Never mind A-Rod, Ann's post was just a reminder of the resentment I've had since I moved here that there is no Dunkin Donuts in town. (The one resentment I just won't let go of.) Shall we debate Starbucks versus Dunkin Donuts now? :lol:
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

What? No Krispy Kreme???
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

johnd
Forums Long Timer

Post by johnd »

I prefer Honey Dew over Double D's Double D is really overated Just my opinion and as we say in Boston opinions are like cracks in
the a** everyone has one. :D Just keep coming John D.
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans- Anonymous

IAMthatIAM
Forums Newcomer

Post by IAMthatIAM »

Wildernesscameron wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 pm
I've been to a couple AA meetings where one or two participants have said they've found their Higher Power within themselves. How can this be true? From my understanding, the first step (being the most important step) is complete surrender...owning the fact that you are powerless. If I am powerless, then how can I be my own Higher Power?

I'd greatly appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance...
Step One Says we are powerless over alcohol.
It does not say we are powerless. 💜

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

IAMthatIAM wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 am
Wildernesscameron wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:55 pm
I've been to a couple AA meetings where one or two participants have said they've found their Higher Power within themselves. How can this be true? From my understanding, the first step (being the most important step) is complete surrender...owning the fact that you are powerless. If I am powerless, then how can I be my own Higher Power?

I'd greatly appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance...
It does not say we are powerless. 💜
Ok, so an Old Thread but.

The Book says "Alcohol is but a Symptom" so "And our Lives are Unmanageable" is due to Everything else, or Alcohol?

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

For a God-resistant person, maybe there is hope. See, I think the word God is a real turn off. No, I don't want what the churchy godders have. So, I definitely need a higher power of my own understanding. Here is one I thought up this morning.

What if your sponsor said this to you: Your higher power is who you are as a human being, what you stand for on the inside. Feel what you stand for on the inside. These feelings are called spiritual principles. Give these inner aspects names and live by them. At some point, you'll realize that your spiritual principles are your inner spiritual being, a connection to some higher consciousness. This system of feelings, thoughts and consciousness is what it means to be human, a being that is more than material. It is your truth. Live by it and you will live those promises, happy, joyous and free.
...a score card reading zero...

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost »

IAMthatIAM wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:53 am

It does not say we are powerless.
💜
I do understand what you are pointing out, in the first half of step one about alcohol.
However the BB does say the following about the lack of Power.
PG 45 BB
Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live,
and it had to be a Power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?
Well, that is exactly what this book is about. Its main object is to enable you to find
a Power greater than yourself which will solve your problem.
Though maybe in your life and inventory you have found only a powerlessness over alcohol,
there are many of us I am sure that have found powerlessness in many areas of our lives.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

Aggiejim
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Aggiejim »

johnd wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 pm
I prefer Honey Dew over Double D's Double D is really overated Just my opinion and as we say in Boston opinions are like cracks in
the a** everyone has one. :D Just keep coming John D.
If I ever heard that at my home group, I imagine there would be some differences of opinion.

Tgnc
Forums Newcomer

Post by Tgnc »

I love this quote! Thanks for posting.
avaneesh912 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:46 am
Just received this text from a friend.

"By withdrawing into the sanctity of our souls, we can also know ourselves. This effort cannot be carried forth by others. It can only be accomplished through self-effort of living and engaging in ongoing contemplation. Only we can enter the most sacred core of our beings and find the secret of life" - Ming-Dao.

In AA we use the 12 steps to get there.