Re: A Newcomer Packet for You

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
UltraMikro
Forums Enthusiast

Post by UltraMikro »

Hi all, Mik, alcoholic, newcomer! This is my 2nd time being a newcomer: I came to AA about a year ago, got almost 90 days, went out, thought I'd never be back, and then something changed inside me and here I am again. Maybe AA really did screw up my drinking... I think I just missed all the good sober folks of AA, and I really missed a relationship with my HP.

I have an amazing homegroup, very supportive and happy to see me back in the meetings. Yesterday, after taking time to carefully listen to everyone for a few weeks, I asked a guy to be my sponsor and he graciously accepted. I felt really proud of myself because I had taken time to choose a sponsor wisely, and I know he and I are going to have a great time working the steps together.

Anyway I've been lurking here for a while and decided to finally join, so here I am, enough rambling, thanks all, I'll be back :)

Mik

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

Wecome Mik

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Thats very nice Mik. Self realization is always better than being told to do something. For me the realization that I can't go on like I used to came outside of AA, so when I reached AA, I was ready. Please continue to build upon this realization.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

Someone sent my a pm saying that his post was gone right at the time that I had replied to Mik. This happens sometimes, it has happened to me and it has happened to others. Yes, I am a moderator and be assured that I had nothing to do with the user's post being gone. I am sorry that this happened. And I hope that the user who sent me a pm posts again.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Thanks Hawk...I was going to say...Man you guys are touchy here. Good to know it wasn't me. I just wanted to welcome Mik back...Always like to see that. I have an olstimer friend who starts his meetings with "Are there any newcomers here tonight? Anyone coming back from a little research and developement?" Maybe that's what you needed this time Mik? A little more R & D. It does sound like you mean business this time...You are doing all the right things.....So glad you made it back.....There are too many that don't. Keep moving forward Mik!

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Post by Squawking Hawk »

:D :D :D

Thanks for the post stepchild.

Hawk

quote="Stepchild"]Thanks Hawk...I was going to say...Man you guys are touchy here. Good to know it wasn't me. I just wanted to welcome Mik back...Always like to see that. I have an olstimer friend who starts his meetings with "Are there any newcomers here tonight? Anyone coming back from a little research and developement?" Maybe that's what you needed this time Mik? A little more R & D. It does sound like you mean business this time...You are doing all the right things.....So glad you made it back.....There are too many that don't. Keep moving forward Mik![/quote]
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

chrisgeb77
Forums Enthusiast

Post by chrisgeb77 »

Hello my name is chris and I'm a alcoholic,wow that was hard to say but it's true, I haven't taken a drink in 16 weeks it isn't easy but I take it one day at a time and I become a better person now I'm sober.and it's good to know there's others there who can understand.

Duke
Forums Old Timer

Post by Duke »

Welcome Chris. I'm glad you found us and I look forward to hearing from you in the days to come. Congratulations on the sixteen weeks. That's fantastic.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa

Flamingo4
Forums Newcomer

Post by Flamingo4 »

I have just joined here tonite and after reading some I know I am an alcoholic. Can't really remember the last day that I didn't have a drink. Lost relationships and friends ..... Blackouts are frequent I'm lost
Barb

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Welcome to e-AA. Your story is like mine. However: I found the solution in AA to lead a life where I don't have to put anything to feel good. Look around and also please get acquainted with the disease by readining the book alcoholics anonymous at: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

kw0289761
Forums Newcomer

Post by kw0289761 »

Hi my name is Krystal and I am in college. Im taking Mental Health and for one of my classes I have to sit in on 2 online aa meetings. I am just wondering if i am in the right place and if im not can someone please help me get to the right site because this is due april 7. thank you so much

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

HI Krystal!!
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources
Pick you state and follow the link to your city and chose an Open Meeting to attend. Open meeting are for anyone wishing to know more about Alcoholics Anonymous is welcome. Closed meetings are for only people who have a desire to stop drinking.

Also check out our online meeting schedule! Adding the extra flare of attending an online meeting might be an interest twist for a paper. http://www.e-aa.org/talk.php and click on chat to register.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

kw0289761
Forums Newcomer

Post by kw0289761 »

Thank you so much

Roxanne12
Forums Newcomer

Post by Roxanne12 »

This is probably the most hardest thing I ever had to admit... I know I am an alcoholic and I need help and support from anyone who is willing to actually take the time and help me through it. When I tell people I have to quit drinking they laugh at me and tell me "your not going to quit drinking". These are my "friends". Not only do I have a problem, my 20 year old son has a problem as well. I need to get help for myself to stop in order to be able to help him. The longest break from drinking for me in the past three years has been 3 days, other than that I drink every day, weekends are worse. Anyone who is willing to help me, listen to me, guide me please let me know. I am ready to get rid of that ugly demon that has posessed me for so many years. Thank you for listening and am really hoping someone will listen to me, this is the first time I ave ever really reached out and it is taken a really big toll on me as I am "in control" of my life with everything else, I think!

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

Welcome Roxanne,
I was in the same state about 8 years ago but then I found the fellowship of AA which then led me to the real solution namely the 12 steps. To find more about the 12 steps you may find the book alcoholics anonymous at

http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/alcoholics-anonymous

you may also visit one of the local face to face meetings.

http://www.aa.org/

Plug in the address and you will be able to find meetings where you live.