Re: A Newcomer Packet for You

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

The E-AA Group maintains an online literature table. Information about A.A. and helpful information regarding problems with Alcohol.

This literature table can be found at:

http://www.e-aa.org/about_aa.php
Great Idea, and handy, too.

Thanks for doing this :)
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

swissmiss
Forums Newcomer

Post by swissmiss »

hi, my name is linda and I am an alcoholic. I'm 18 days sober now and look forward to looking thru the info packet. Thanks!

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Welcome Linda, congratulations on 18 days! Outstanding! Thank you for introducing yourself, lovely to read you :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

EagleMan
Forums Newcomer

Post by EagleMan »

This is my first day to the online forums and I find it fascinating! I'm kind of a shy in public, plus I'm sort of a "techie," so this works great for me! I feel that I can express my self a lot more this way and get the help, encouragement and direction I need.
Thanks for this package! I'll certainly make use of it.

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

Welcome to these forums Eagle Man, you will find a lot of good folks and good recovery here. By the way we have an active member, who has been here for the last five years, called Squawking Hawk, good to have two birds of pray.
God bless all who contribute.
Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

hopeisabove13
Forums Enthusiast

Post by hopeisabove13 »

Hi! I'm relatively new to AA but haven't been a drinker for a few years now. I stopped in 2010 and made it nearly three years before drinking again. Once I had a couple of drinks and a second time I had more than a few. Both of those instances were in April. I've heard from a few people who used to drink and quit on their that they've felt even better after attending meeting and going through the steps. At the very least, I hope to get to the point where I can help others who may have problems with alcohol. I know my life has been incredibly different since I stopped. If I can share my story and make a difference, then I would like to do that. I've gone to a few meetings in the past month but can't always get to them readily. I thought I would give the boards a go and see what I can find out here. Any advice would be much appreciated. Where should I go on the boards to get started?

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

It is admirable that you would like to help suffering alcoholics, and I don't wish to deter you, however the sort of drinking you have explained to be your habit, may not be that of an alcoholic. The following from our Big Book may explain it further :-" Moderate drinkers have little trouble in giving up
liquor entirely if they have good reason for it. They
can take it or leave it alone.
Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He
may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair
him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die
a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason—
ill health, falling in love, change of environment,
or the warning of a doctor—becomes operative, this
man can also stop or moderate, although he may find
it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical
attention.
But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off
as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a
continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his
drinking career he begins to lose all control of his
liquor consumption, once he starts to drink".

This is a section from pages 20 & 21, and you may view a pdf version of the book online for further information. But basically what it says, and what is true of alcoholics who use this site, is that even if a doctor said stop or you will die, we would be unable to do this without spiritual help. It seems you didn't have that much trouble stopping, and you say "once I had a couple drinks and a second time more than a few", both of them being in April, well an alcoholic can't do that, we just would not be able to stop at a couple. Perhaps you can look at the book to see what I am talking about, best of luck to you.

God bless all who contribute.
Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

georgevaz
Forums Newcomer

Post by georgevaz »

Good morning everyone,
My name is George and I'm an alcoholic, and i have been wanting to stop drinking but i keep falling back down. i have a super cool wife that supports me but i travel out of the country for work and i find it very hard to quit. especially during those nights sitting in the hotel by myself. i find any excuse to pick up a beer. I've been 2 days sober and counting. i hope that with this next step i could finally beat this demon. thanks.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Welcome! Thanks for posting, great to hear from you.

AA offers a method for living sober that removed the compulsion to drink for me. The way we do it is explained in our basic text, the Big Book, which you can read online here www.aa.org/bigbookonline

And lots of other good reading at www.e-aa.org/about_aa.php

Hope to keep seeing you here,

Ann

Scott w
Forums Newcomer

Post by Scott w »

Hi I'm Scott and I'm just getting started in the aa world. I drank heavy for 20 years and have been sober for 10 months. But recently have been having urges to fall back into that dark world.I am looking forward to any info and support I can find to remain sober.

Hopeless_addict49
Forums Newcomer

Post by Hopeless_addict49 »

I'm we, I'm still currently drinking, every thing for me that could happen has happen, I've hurt my wife emotionally I've hurt my family and I'm hurting myself I do not want this lifestyle anymore I'm tired of relying on alcohol to feel alive I'm tired of everything about it , there's days I tell myself I'm not goina drink and I do, I use reasons like it helps me control and speak my emotions , or helps my sex life, this to me is a problem and I can see it, I am an alcoholic and I know it, but I do not want this life, I can quit for weeks at a time and then pick it back up, I stay steady with a twelve pack or more a day, people see it's a problem and I relate and understand but I keep doing it, I ask myself why why why, I just wanna smile and be happy and let go of this disease, I watched my father go in and out if the hospital from alcohol and now is sober thank god, I've been through hell and back in my life and want to change, crying out a hopeless addict

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Hopeless_addict49 wrote:. . . people see it's a problem and I relate and understand but I keep doing it, I ask myself why why why . . . .
Hi and welcome. We have found that knowledge is no protection. We may understand that we have a condition that strictly leaves out the possibility of drinking safely, yet we drink anyway. That's the nature of our insanity.

The solution I found in AA is about action. We have the 12 steps, which are a list of instructions when taken in order lead to freedom from the compulsion to drink. We learn about them in meetings, reading the literature, and working one-on-one with AA members willing to pass on the method for success in sobriety.

There's lots of help here in our forums and in your local AA. Call the number for Alcoholics Anonymous in your phone book for information on meetings near you. Ask where you'd be likely to find a sponsor, someone ready to show you ex actor what h did to find peace and relief from his alcoholism. Keep sharing here, we need you :)

To Scott -- I'm so sorry that your post here went unanswered. Please let us know if we can help.

Ann

Jeanne B
Forums Newcomer

Post by Jeanne B »

I am addicted and I need help

I look forward to studying the newcomer Packet and talking to others to help me conquer my problem.

Jeanne B

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 »

Terrific Jeanne! Glad you're here!

Ann

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Welcome Jeanne! Glad to have you aboard. E-aa has many opportunities and venues to discuss alcoholism! Chat & email meetings among them http://www.e-aa.org/talk.php
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB