treatment plan

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

treatment plan

Postby kim » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi All,

I just found out that my insurance will cover 100% of an outpatient or inpatient 21 or 30 day treatment program for me and I am going to take advantage of it. I am scared to death. I have to show up thursday at noon, with a suitcase. At that time they will do a 2 hour assessment and determine if i need to stay there, or do either a 4 hour day program or 8 hours a day. I have an amazing on line sponsor who I love to pieces and has given me much work to do and I have been popping in and out of meetings. I think I need to dive into this program and make it my lifestyle. I find I still sit in meetings and critique rather than find similiarities and hope. Anyway one thing I do hear is that ones who seem to really have a good foundation have come from something like that. Am I a failure because I just cant do it by going to meetings? What on earth is my problem? Well I am really afraid and wonder if others of you have gone, and can share with me anything i can expect. I am so anxious. thank you. kim
kim
Forums Enthusiast

Re: treatment plan

Postby Marc L » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 pm

kim wrote:Hi All,

I just found out that my insurance will cover 100% of an outpatient or inpatient 21 or 30 day treatment program for me and I am going to take advantage of it. I am scared to death. I have to show up thursday at noon, with a suitcase. At that time they will do a 2 hour assessment and determine if i need to stay there, or do either a 4 hour day program or 8 hours a day. I have an amazing on line sponsor who I love to pieces and has given me much work to do and I have been popping in and out of meetings. I think I need to dive into this program and make it my lifestyle. I find I still sit in meetings and critique rather than find similiarities and hope. Anyway one thing I do hear is that ones who seem to really have a good foundation have come from something like that. Am I a failure because I just cant do it by going to meetings? What on earth is my problem? Well I am really afraid and wonder if others of you have gone, and can share with me anything i can expect. I am so anxious. thank you. kim

Hello Kim;
My sobriety began in a treatment center. It was out patient after work and it lasted 6 weeks.
Three sessions(evenings) per week. It was there that I met several people who had had similar hardships and were able to explain to me how they solved problems.
I paid attention to what they said and did the homework they requested. I walked out of that place not wanting or needing to drink and felt much much better than the day I went in. After that it was off to AA meetings for discussion and step work. This was one white chip and 14 years ago. If you want it, you can have it... Worked for me!
Hope this helped and Good Luck to you;

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:09 am

Can you tell us what your fears are so that those of us that have been in rehab can tell you what it’s like. I can tell you that there is nothing to fear. There will be other girls/women who are scared too. You might want to reach out to those girls. In my rehab everyone pretty much bonded (it’s like a “we’re all in this together mentality”). I made friends there and I’m still in touch with some of them. Like you said in your post, do dive into the program. And no, of course you aren’t a failure. You had a slip. Now pick up your white chip and go to work on the steps! And, P.S.: Hoorah for good insurance!! I paid $10,000 out of my own pocket for 2 weeks of rehab.
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 am

I think I need to dive into this program and make it my lifestyle. I find I still sit in meetings and critique rather than find similarities and hope.

I just took the above from your own posting. If insurance is covering the cost, please go. But I always remember a lady around our area use to say, her 3rd trip to the treatment facility did her. At the end, they gave a Big book and a bill for 38K and asked her to go to AA. She use to joke it was the most expensive Big Book she ever bought.

There will be lot of back in the treatment centres whose common thread will be I stopped going to meetings or I just did 1 2 and 3 and then something happened then I slipped.

Its in the rest of the steps. Putting down the character defects on paper, looking at it with the help of fellow AAers, performing the rest of the steps......

If you look at the promises, it says "If we are painstaking about this phase of our development" and this phase the book talks about is, not just going to meetings but, its the period between 9th and the rest of the steps. And at the end there is a statement "They will always materialize if we work for them".

Just by talking that ABCs will work does not suffice, we need to put some effort.

Good luck with the stint at the treatment centre.
You cannot solve a problem from the same consciousness that created. You must see the world anew.
Albert Einstein.
avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:49 am

Those are some good questions, Kim. And I've found that when I've had similar questions, nobody elses answers have worked for me. I've had to make experiences of my own for the answers to become operative in my life.

In order to gain those experiences, I needed to take action. Just 'going' to meetings wasn't cutting it. But putting the feet to the pavement on the Steps did work.

And when going into the unknown (either places or situations), I have found that if I ask God to go with me, He will show me what He knows and that is always enough company.

So...... May God go with you if you ask and want Him to be in your experience. Peace and Blessings.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby Steven F » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:23 pm

kim wrote:Am I a failure because I just cant do it by going to meetings?

Hardly. I personally have not yet met a real alcoholic who can recover just by going to meetings. Lots of heavy drinkers who could stop just by wanting it, or by having the "social aspect" of AA around them, yes. But not real alcoholics. They do, or they die.

AA is a programme of action. No action, no results. Just like you will never become a parent simply by attending parenting courses.

Taking the action takes a bit of time and effort, and most of us had to put everything aside for a while to do it. Some could manage that within their daily lives, others couldn't. I personally left my girlfriend and kids with the grandparents and had about a week and a half on my own to concentrate. That was enough to take me to starting amends (step 9). If it takes for you to be in a treatment center to be able to fully focus and take the action, so be it. There is absolutely no shame in that.

I have no idea what you can expect. I do hope that it will mean you will have the time and space to take the action. That is the way to go, and - at least for me - it was the only way.
Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Postby powerlessoveralcohol » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Hello, Kim.
William here, alcoholic.
Near where I live there is a hospital-based, 28 day program for addiction recovery which helps primarily alcoholics. My home group consists of about twenty to twenty five regulars and it is an infrequent meeting when one or more ties-in the evenings topic with the value of that program to them.
To a person, the feeling is that spending the time exclusively working to understand their alcoholism, surrounded by peers and guided by professionals in a safe venue, more than outweighed any piecemeal approach. Incidentally, the counsellors and the medical staff at the hospital are themselves, by a large majority, also recovering alcoholics.
Having spent five days in the "mini" version of the program, I can say that I surely was scared at first. But this passed and I was excited to start each day in my new sober life.
Anyway one thing I do hear is that ones who seem to really have a good foundation have come from something like that

Those in my group who speak of their time in such a program as you describe are to a person long-timers (between 10 and 31 years sober), so I guess what you've heard is true for this group.
I wish you courage, to change the things you can.

f
The path is the goal.
powerlessoveralcohol
Forums Enthusiast

Postby kim » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Thank you all so much for the hope you offer. Thankfully I will not require a detox stage first (unless I drink before thursday, not my plan!) but Im really thinking that taking advantage of the opportunity to really get to know what the program is - and have time to concentrate on getting some serious work done & focus on myself for a bit is a gift. Otherwise I am working hard, but emotions etc. open up and sit here in my house, all alone, trying to figure it all out, crying constantly and its scary.

Update- I went to a meeting thursday and one girl invited me to another one that night. I was brave enough to go and I met 2 ladies who went through the same program that I am going to. Both said it was great, im doing the right thing and they even offered to drive me down together! Wow....i was blown away. That gave me hope. I went to another meeting today and saw them again and i got hugs and smiles and i think i am on my way! I even got phone numbers. Im getting excited. I want to come back with a good foundation and a lot less junk in my heart and head...and actually participate in this program.

Thank you all so much. i will keep you posted! I know it works, yes, ill keep coming back.
kim
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:21 am

That's so wonderful that you met those women who have done the same program and how sweet of them to offer to drive you. However, I'm wondering, is your husband no longer at home with you? I'm being a bit nosey so you don't have to reply...
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby mebill » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:29 am

Hang in there Kim. I look forward to hearing your experiences.

Bill
mebill
Forums Long Timer

Postby kim » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi Lisa,

Yes my husband is at home and is very supportive and happy for me. He will miss me like crazy but he knows I want to work hard and dig deep and get on with it. He works 2 hours from home and his work partner just had open heart surgery so it would be asking a lot for him to simply leave the studio. My appt. time is thursday at noon. It is also an hour away in the other direction. I was just going to drive myself, but then the girls offered to take me so I dont have to be alone. Plus I wont have to park the car somewhere. I will enjoy the support. They said they will introduce me to the staff - they both go weekly or at least once per month to volunteer so they are happy to bring me. He will take the day off to pick me up however. It may just be 2 weeks or even one, or they may tell me that i only need outpatient since i have not been drinking - but i am supposed to come with a suitcase in case i have to stay. i almost really want to have the experience of being away, and getting deep into the program-a chance to focus on myself and the program with no other distractions. I went to another meeting this morning and am amazed at this program, the support of the ladies and how it works for years and years for people. Oh, I shared for the very first time today ever. no worries Lisa, it is nice that you asked. Also, I suppose if it turns out to be the wrong thing for me do, I can leave since I am voluntarily going. Just praying for the best!!
kim
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Lali » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:49 am

It was because you didn't mention your husband that I wrote that. Or maybe you did. No matter. Did you say that the inpatient program is only one or two weeks. I haven't heard of one that is less than a month. I had to leave after 2 weeks (because we didn't have the additional $7,000). I'm happy you were able to share!!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:02 am

Oops, none of what I said came our right as I just woke up. :oops:
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:32 am

Something that is not often mentioned-

Rehabs, detoxes, psychiatrists, counselors, drug companies, inpatient programs, outpatient programs, emergency services, etc., are all in it for the money. Let's face it. Alcohol abuse treatment is big business.

Here is a line that you will never hear from a member of the above mentioned fraternity, "You don't need us. Keep your money. God is free."

.... and His services are completely voluntary, just as ours should be through our 12th Step obligation.

Please don't take this out of context. By all means, attend whatever rehabilitation that is urgently needed to get started. But to continue..... God has no bill collectors!
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby kim » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Hi Martin,

Im not sure "urgently needed" is the case - im sober, (albeit newly) but I have an opportunity to take a few weeks and be away, and dig deep into the program. It is covered by my insurance and I am going to take advantage of it, since I have now 3 friends who have gone through such a program and are so thankful. Maybe im nuts, but i can only be a little less nuts when I come out!! :D
kim
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to For the Newcomer