Cucumbers and Pickles

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
MyNameIsBetsy
Trusted Servant

Cucumbers and Pickles

Post by MyNameIsBetsy »

We have an analogy in the AA rooms that we alcoholics are much like pickles. A cucumber can turn into a pickle. Once we are a pickle, we are not able to return to being a cucumber.

Why all the fuss about a humble garden vegetable? Because when drinkers (cucumbers) become alcoholics (pickles), we can’t go back to being cucumbers again. We cannot be cured of our alcoholism and return to normal drinking. We can try - and many of us do try - but we alcoholics cannot go back to being a normal drinker.

Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. This is acceptance. I accept what I am, and do not attempt to go back to what is no longer possible.

Silly expression - this pickle and cucumber stuff. But it helps me remember what I am. I am an alcoholic.

My choice is what to do about it. I can surround myself with AA and sobriety, or I can go back to being a drunk. Today, I choose sobriety!!!

Betsy, an alcoholic (pickle)
"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Cucumbers and Pickles

Post by PaigeB »

I have heard that one in the rooms too.

Question? Is that why they call drunks getting drunk "getting pickled"? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

1Peter5:10
Forums Contributor

Post by 1Peter5:10 »

Of course, wine and vinegar being close cousins the analogy is especially good. If you soak a cucumber in wine (or vinegar) it becomes a pickle and there is simply no way to turn it back.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

Yes, I have heard this saying about cumbers and pickles in the rooms before, and it makes a lot of sense.
Also as was mentioned -
We cannot be cured of our alcoholism…
I have a feeling that in the early days before the book was published, the word cured might have been used more than it is now. Dr. Bob used it in speaking about his first meeting with Bill – “But this was a man who had experienced many years of frightful drinking, who had most all the drunkard‘s experiences known to man, but who had been cured…”

However, the big book sets it out in straightforward language under ‘Into Action,’ by saying - “We are not cured of alcoholism.”

What I really don’t like, is when some folks put too much of an accent on the lines about a ‘daily reprieve,’ which comes after that, we have had good and sometimes heated discussions about that here. I would not wish to stay in AA if I felt that unless I did as suggested every day, I would relapse. It can make newcomers think, that even after years of sobriety, they will still be walking a tightrope they could fall off on a day’s notice. The AA I know and love is a much stronger and forgiving program than that.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Indianapolis
Trusted Servant

Post by Indianapolis »

Yeah, I don't know exactly when I got "pickled." I can guess within a year or two, but can't set a precise day, date, or drink. But whenever it happened, it happened. These days, when I envision trying to drink like a normal, I just laugh. That would work.... for about 1 day. Then I'd be back to old habits pretty much instantaneously.

There's no doubt or question in my mind that I'm a permanent pickle. And life isn't all that bad this way.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Indianapolis wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:07 am
There's no doubt or question in my mind that I'm a permanent pickle. And life isn't all that bad this way.
My granddaughter is 12. Her favorite food is ~ you guessed it PICKLES. So I guess she LOVES ME! I do not want it to be an omen, but her heritage is right on for being afflicted with this disease. The Good and the Bad... but we understand.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Indianapolis
Trusted Servant

Post by Indianapolis »

PaigeB wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:07 am
Indianapolis wrote:
My granddaughter is 12. Her favorite food is ~ you guessed it PICKLES. So I guess she LOVES ME! I do not want it to be an omen, but her heritage is right on for being afflicted with this disease. The Good and the Bad... but we understand.
My daughter is 11. And, yes, her favorite food is pickles. And, yes, she shows signs of addictive tendencies and personality traits conducive to this disease.

But, the only advantage she's got going for her is my active sobriety. I have talked to her and her brother (13 y/o) about addiction, sobriety, my journey and challenges. I have hope that they'll recognize the genetic predisposition to addiction that they unquestionably have, know the challenges faced if they end up in addiction, and approach alcohol and drugs with some genuine caution.

I have no idea what life will hold for them, but I'm doing the best I can to offer some preparation and advance knowledge. The book "Straight Talk" by Claudia Black was hugely helpful in crafting those messages.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

Indianapolis wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:14 am
PaigeB wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:07 am
Indianapolis wrote:
My daughter is 11. And, yes, her favorite food is pickles. And, yes, she shows signs of addictive tendencies and personality traits conducive to this disease.

But, the only advantage she's got going for her is my active sobriety. I have talked to her and her brother (13 y/o) about addiction, sobriety, my journey and challenges. I have hope that they'll recognize the genetic predisposition to addiction that they unquestionably have, know the challenges faced if they end up in addiction, and approach alcohol and drugs with some genuine caution.

I have no idea what life will hold for them, but I'm doing the best I can to offer some preparation and advance knowledge. The book "Straight Talk" by Claudia Black was hugely helpful in crafting those messages.
You answered by question before I asked it! I am glad you said you have talked to them at an early age. I think this winter may offer some "snow days" and good talks over board games. Perhaps the opportunity to breach the subject will come up! And thanks for the book suggestion - I do read more in the winter months too!

tomsteve
Forums Long Timer

Post by tomsteve »

Brock wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:26 am

What I really don’t like, is when some folks put too much of an accent on the lines about a ‘daily reprieve,’ which comes after that, we have had good and sometimes heated discussions about that here. I would not wish to stay in AA if I felt that unless I did as suggested every day, I would relapse. It can make newcomers think, that even after years of sobriety, they will still be walking a tightrope they could fall off on a day’s notice. The AA I know and love is a much stronger and forgiving program than that.
great words,brock. i found that the program takes in to consideration our human condition- we are just spiritual beings having a human experience and as long as we're on this rock we will make mistakes.
i wont be perfect until im dead.
perfect- finished; complete.

recovered from the hopeless state of mind and body but not cured.