Not sure how to detox at home safely

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

Not sure how to detox at home safely

Postby laughalotta88 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 am

I am a 28 yr old female. 5'7", 115 lbs and I have been dealing with this nightmare cycle of heavy drinking since I was 20. I'm now at 750ml of pure vodka for 1 drinking session or if I decide to drink all day/ pass out and continue all day I drink half of a 1.75 liters of vodka bottle. 3 years ago, I decided to "take a break" from drinking and I had a convulsion/seizure type of thing in my sleep and weeks of sweating in my sleep like I just ran a marathon. I pretty much wanted to sleep all day for that entire month. I'm terrified of leaving alcohol because I worry I will die from the withdrawal. Unfortunately I don't want drug dependence on my record for future jobs nor can I afford health insurance so I have to combat this at home.

I was thinking a 3 month long taper would be safe for me or is that too long? Thoughts on how to do this very safely?
laughalotta88
Forums Newcomer

Re: Not sure how to detox at home safely

Postby Brock » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:50 am

Welcome here laughalotta, great name, let’s hope with the AA program you will be laughing a lot, we usually do when we recover from alcoholism.

We are very wary of giving medical advise, the literature warns us that we are not doctors. But we are allowed to give our own experience, and I have done what you are planning several times. The worry about drug dependence I suspect is because you are afraid; and I have heard others say as well; if I start taking a tranquilizer for withdrawal, I will get hooked on them, because I am an addictive type. But the internet has good sites from respected medical institutions, showing that the standard protection against DT’s is Valium or a similar tranquilizer, and we just stop taking these after a few days, it’s not a long term thing, the DT’s danger period passes quite quickly. I do believe in tapering off, and no need for such a long period like three months, more like three days.

But all in all, even without insurance, try your best to see a doctor, you will need one for the prescription, if you decide the safest way would be the doctors advise and the tranquilizers. We discussed this topic in another thread recently, it can be found here -
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24400

I hope you will stay in touch with us and say how you are doing, we have all faced what you are facing, and enjoy sharing our experience.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Postby tblue818 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi, Laughalotta and All ~

Did a Google of detoxing at home and there is good info out there. Having a friend with you in case things go south is suggested. And there is a hotline number that can find state rehab programs if insurance/funds aren't available. As well as setting up at least 3 days off work beforehand. But if you're going to do that, maybe going to detox for three days would be safer.

The possible side effects of detox look daunting, and one article said that if there was previous serious withdrawal symptoms, it could be riskier.

There were two symptoms I had that I never understood or heard in the rooms. One was on one of the lists from the search: delayed reflexes. It didn't feel life-threatening but it sure made me wonder if I'd done permanent damage to my brain. Decided I could learn to live with it, but it did pass after a couple of weeks.

I was never good at the 'slow-down' plan - an all or nothing mentality...but it is mentioned in a couple of articles.

Please become as well-informed as possible before making your decision...we care, and surely pray for your safe arrival on the other side of the desert. May the AA flowers of sobriety bloom for you as they have for us.

Feed Hope,

Pamela
dos 8/98
Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved.

"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept an apology you never got."
tblue818
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Anew day » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 pm

From my own very recent experience I would say call a dr. By the time I got to the dr., he said I had pretty much detoxed by myself. But, I'm now in an out patient treatment program that is four hours per days six days per week, they also require at least two AA meetings per week. As much as I dreaded having this in my medical record, I'm so glad I made the call. I'm not sure I could/can do this on my own.
Anew day
Forums Newcomer

Postby FluffUSPS » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:15 am

I agree with the previous comments. I can't speak for others, but I was stupid. I survived two bouts of DTs that ended me in the ICU. Only the grace of my Higher Power allowed me to go on to share this program with others. I sobered up, and suddenly life became worthwhile. I still go to doctors regularly and I am forthcoming about my alcoholism. The Spiritual Awakening I experienced wasn't just about God. It was about doing the right things to preserve my life right now.
FluffUSPS
Forums Enthusiast

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:16 pm

Having detoxed myself numerous times, (and ended up in the hospital more than once) I am 100% convinced that the #1 threat is dehydration.

When dehydration gets bad enough you cannot keep water and electrolytes in your system. (Electrolytes: salt, and some minerals you get from meat, quality sports drinks, bananas and a few other sources).

Dehydration and electrolyte loss ----> causes vomiting and diarrhea, ----> which causes dehydration and electrolyte loss ----> which causes more vomiting and more dehydration.

When dehydration got bad enough that I could not retain even a few teaspoons of gatorade and I called an ambulance.

The doctor said I was near death, but rather than die of thirst, in my case, my electrolyte levels were so low it was likely my nerves would have become be unable to send a proper signal to my heart and THAT would have caused death.

In short, if you go 48-72 consecutive hours unable to keep down even a tablespoon of Gatorade, call an ambulance!

Any thing you can do to stay hydrated will save you from an expensive hospital visit and possible death.

Sadly, when home detox fails the hospital will put you in a very expensive room, and hook you up to very expensive machines, when all ya really needed was the $40 bag of saline that they give away like Halloween Candy.
Last edited by 1Peter5:10 on Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Shoreline » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 am

lots of good advice here. I'm also a female in my 20's. I detoxed myself many times at home, 1 time in a hospital, and 3 times in a detox facility. Please consider seeing a doctor or getting some other help if you think you will have serious withdrawals as it can be very unpleasant and dangerous. Actually I still often think about one of my detox experiences in the hospital, where my anxiety was so bad that I had no idea what day/time it was, how many days I was in the hospital, and i was pacing around in the hallway yelling at the nurses. And this is nothing compared to some of the other alcoholics I saw who were detoxing, one was hallucinating and another one was trying to fight everyone and was put in restraints. Seriously, I wish I never let it get to that point!! And in case you are wondering I still drank again when I got out!! Anyway my point is that I think you should get medical help if at all possible. If not possible, consider taking a few days off work/family commitments, rest at home and stay hydrated and try to eat healthy foods.
Shoreline
Forums Enthusiast

Return to For the Newcomer