373 days sober!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

373 days sober!

Postby 11515JWH » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:57 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Wade, 26 and from N. Alabama. I recently celebrated my 1 year sober mark on January 15, 2016. Pretty proud of myself!

I have never went to a local AA meeting so I thought I should find friends in the same situation on here. I used to be a very heavy drinker from 2012-2015 and it resulted in major pancreas problems that led to emergency pancreas surgery. I spent about 6 months in and out of hospitals the first half of 2015. My surgery was on 6/12/15 and my brain surgery was on 6/14/2010. I was diagnosed with stage 3 brain cancer in 2010. 2007, 08 and 09 I was a social drinker in my first 2.5 years in college while I lived in Nashville, TN.

After becoming sober and my pancreas surgery my life has been much better, family and social life. I used to wake up and start drinking instead of being anywhere near productive. One of my nurses in the hospital sat down with me one day in private and asked if alcohol was my problem. Even though I secretly knew it was I assured her it wasn't but she told me her story of how just 3 months earlier she was an addict as well with a new child at home and how dropping it was the best thing she ever did for her boyfriend relationship and her child. That talk really helped me realize I needed to stop, even though I still think about a shot or two everyday! I hope to meet and converse with many new great people on here!!
11515JWH
Forums Newcomer

Re: 373 days sober!

Postby tyg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:11 am

Hi Wade,

Welcome to the forum, glad you are here! :)
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Postby positrac » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:28 am

Welcome and congrats.
Some of this we can do on our own with no help and education. Been my experience in my 26 years sober that we need people like us to help us endure challenges of life on life's terms as we learn to handle life different now we are sober and think different. Keep coming back as it is clear you have the desire to remain sober.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Chelle » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:26 am

Hi wade welcome. Glad to your Heath is back in order.

Ahh yes, the medical profession. Thank god for them. It was a nurse with knowledge of the program that I finally listened to. Many others recommended it, but it was her I listened to.

You say you still think of shots every day? Yikes! The 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous will remove that if you work the steps. Very rarely do I think of having a drink..it has been removed. Please consider a meeting.

Glad you are here. :D
Chelle
Forums Contributor

Postby Spirit Flower » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:13 am

Hi Wade and welcome.

What Chelle said is correct, AA is about an entire psychic change which removes the desire to drink. This means that you don't think about 1 or 2 shots a day.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Postby Larryp713 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Wade! Congrats on your improved situation and I wish you well.

I celebrated 400 days sober yesterday, which is an absolute miracle to me. It was not possible for me to stay sober for a week on my own at the end of my drinking, and AA provided me with a spiritual solution that really worked. I know if it worked for me, it can work for anybody.

My brother was also a very heavy drinker and finally got called out by his doctor and admitted how much he was drinking. He was told that he would not live very long if he continued to drink so heavily, and he has been sober now for about 2 months. The big book said that some heavy drinkers can quit on their own if there is sufficiently strong reason, such as dire news from a doctor or major health crisis. I don't know if that would have worked for me because I think I had gone to far into my alcoholism. I had to reach a level of spiritual desperation before I was willing to try something new.

I would recommend reading through these discussion boards and try to relate to some of the experiences shared. If you decide that you are an alcoholic, I would advise considering this program. For me, it is more about providing a way to live sober and happy than to abstain from drinking. Either way it works out for you, there is a great fellowship here of people who have a desire to not drink and to help others achieve this goal. Thanks for sharing your experience! Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!
Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Postby Tosh » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:29 am

Spirit Flower wrote:Hi Wade and welcome.

What Chelle said is correct, AA is about an entire psychic change which removes the desire to drink. This means that you don't think about 1 or 2 shots a day.

+1

I'm on a diet and currently obsessing about food (chocolate mostly); I don't have that with booze anymore. We keep that in the house - for guests - or for when Mrs Tosh might fancy a drink, and that's fine.

However the life expectancy of a chocolate bar isn't very long where I live. :lol: :oops:

Welcome to the forum.

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Wade and welcome.

Congratulations on 373+ days of sobriety!

What an amazing story you have! God bless the hospital nurse who inspired you to join us in recovery.

If you haven't been to a live AA meeting yet, you might want to check out some online meetings on the web to see what they're like. There are 5 or 6 online AA meetings at different times every day at a recovery website called Step Chat. Also, the 5th Dimension Online Young Person's Group has an online meeting every Wednesday night at 9:30 pm Eastern time. The website for AA is www.aa.org and it lists all the links for this group as well as upcoming conventions/conferences they sponsor. Or, you can just google "5th Dimension Online Young Person's Group" for the link to their website. Glad you found this forum.

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blanche » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Congratulations on your sobriety birthday! It is inspiration for us newcomers to keep coming back :)
Blanche
Forums Enthusiast

Postby SWIT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:30 am

Congrats on being sober! Your story about the nurse was very touching. Sometimes, you never know when a person will come into our life and inspire or help us see something that we can not. I hope that you find the support that you are looking for. There are some great people in this group that are very supportive and can understand what you are facing on daily bases. Good luck with everything1
SWIT
Forums Enthusiast

Postby 11515JWH » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:28 pm

1153 days sober!!
11515JWH
Forums Newcomer

Postby positrac » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:14 am

11515JWH wrote:1153 days sober!!

3 years is a good period in sobriety as I recall and a milestone nevertheless. Well done keep'm coming =biggrin
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Spirit Flower » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:54 pm

sweet
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Return to For the Newcomer