Hi. My name is Merl and I'm an alcoholic

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Re: Hi. My name is Merl and I'm an alcoholic

Post by Hanna »

Hi Merl,
So happy to read your posts, they remind me of the begining of my journey. I had the same hope you have now and I had no idea where it would take me or if I would fail, I didn't. I stayed very close to AA and learned to live my life one day at a time, doing the next right thing and being rewarded with feelings of peace. I continue to practice the steps every day, it has been 3 1/2 years of serenity and I got here one day at a time. I'm so happy to see another alcoholic begin on their journey, it does get even better! I look forward to seeing you in the forums.
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl »

Hanna wrote:Hi Merl,
So happy to read your posts, they remind me of the begining of my journey. I had the same hope you have now and I had no idea where it would take me or if I would fail, I didn't. I stayed very close to AA and learned to live my life one day at a time, doing the next right thing and being rewarded with feelings of peace. I continue to practice the steps every day, it has been 3 1/2 years of serenity and I got here one day at a time. I'm so happy to see another alcoholic begin on their journey, it does get even better! I look forward to seeing you in the forums.
Hanna
So glad for your message. I have made it to day 29! The other day I was surprised at how fast the time has passed. But then,like you said, I just went one day at a time. Still going just one day at a time and am finding happiness that I never have known. If I have known it, it was blotted out by alcohol. Praising God for each day of sobriety and for all of you who are sharing this journey with me.

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

Merl is the second person to check into the site today and let others know that things are going well, day 29 and moving along, very good news indeed.

Hope you don't mind a little reminder about the steps we should take, I and others I have heard in meetings and seen post here, have experienced a period of sobriety and even wondered what the big deal is about, this sobriety isn't so hard to do after all, then wham we get this urge the book says we have no defense against. So hope you are working towards steps 4 & 5, usually this is where we build that defense against the first drink.

Hearing from newer members is the bright spot on these forums, thanks again and best of luck to you.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R »

Thanks for the update Merl and congratulations for staying the course so far, keep working for your continued sobriety my friend, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

good job merl
...a score card reading zero...

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl »

Hi Brock,

Definitely working diligently on the steps. Thanks though for the friendly reminder. I really do appreciate it. Finding some days are a little more difficult than others. Focusing on the program and the steps, going to meetings, working with my home group, offering to help out, meeting group members for coffee after meetings, keeping up to date with my sponsor on a daily basis. I'm busier now than when I was drinking! My spouse said the other day,"This is the longest in 28 years that I have seen you go without a drink." 34 days and still counting. One day at a time. :D

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl »

Thanks Robert. I'm trying and I am putting things in place to be able to succeed one day at a time.

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl »

Spirit Flower wrote:good job merl
Thanks Spirit Flower. This forum is a great place for support and encouragement. I hope you all know how grateful I am for all of you.

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post »

Keep it up Merl. It sounds like you are doing well.

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R »

Thanks for the update Merl. Good to know you are getting on getting on :D
Don't know exactly where I am going but I'm on my way and it's already much better than where I've been.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I'm busier now than when I was drinking!
RIGHT? Who would have thought? I know I thought there would be nothing but morose, chocolate eating, TV drama watcher. But noooo way! I won't go into it all but between my recovery, my sponsoring others and service work U never have enough hours in the day!

Isn't it great to be a part of the AA community? Soon we take what we learned into the larger community and become part of that too! It is nice to be a nice person hanging out with nice people!

Keep coming back and sharing!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Robert R
Forums Contributor

Post by Robert R »

"Succeed one day at a time" Love it. I often say I stopped drinking one day at a time to do the steps to learn to live one day at a time. Living in the day was a totally new concept that did not come easy at first but good guidance and willingness to change forged in desperation worked slowly for this old alkie.
Busy, yes, as Paige says involvement with good people in the greater community has amazing rewards too. Was up at 5 am this morning to bake cakes for a local community group, which is meeting today and from there I will attend a meeting this evening. Never a dull moment in sobriety :D

Merl
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Merl »

Received my one month medallion today. I couldn't let it out of my hand for a very long time. I held it like I was hanging onto life itself. I'm at day 45. 15 more days I'll be at my two month mark. I'm half way to 90 days. It has only been by the grace of God, my fellowship here and in my home group and working the steps that I find myself posting this tonight. A special thanks to all of you for all of you advice, support and sharing your own experiences. Love you all. God bless.

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post »

That's awesome Merl! Keep checking in!!

Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Post by Patsy© »

Merl wrote:Received my one month medallion today. I couldn't let it out of my hand for a very long time. I held it like I was hanging onto life itself. I'm at day 45. 15 more days I'll be at my two month mark. I'm half way to 90 days. It has only been by the grace of God, my fellowship here and in my home group and working the steps that I find myself posting this tonight. A special thanks to all of you for all of you advice, support and sharing your own experiences. Love you all. God bless.
Congratulations Merl, Way To Go!! Stay in this one day Merl, reach out and help a newcomer!

Merl, I love reading posts like yours, it brings me right back to how very grateful I am for what AA has given to this alkie and all I have to do to keep it.....is give it away :)

Thank you so much for passing on the message of Hope!
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!