Sick of It!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Sick of It!

Post by Troy M. »

:D Thanks Paige. I'm glad too!

2granddaughters

Post by 2granddaughters »

Troy M. wrote:I guess you never know what you need to hear until you hear it.
If you don't go to meetings you won't find out what happens to people that don't go to meetings..... 8)

Go to the meetings on faith. You will continue to gladly go after you see the truth.
Stick with the good oldtimers, they'll help you.

All the best.

Bob R

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service »

PG 116 Twelth step

"When we developed still more, we discovered the best
possible source of emotional stability to be God Himself.
We found that dependence upon His perfect justice, forgive-
ness, and love was healthy, and that it would work where
nothing else would. If we really depended upon God, we
couldn’t very well play God to our fellows nor would we
feel the urge wholly to rely on human protection and care. "

Notice the word develop not learn? Why ? because God could and would if sought! :idea:

Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Troy M. »

Update - Today is day 11. I just started working with a temporary sponsor via -e-aa - as I attend local meetings and find a local. I've been to 3 different meetings here in my city and the dynamics of each are different. Last night's topic was the 3rd step and it was just what I needed to hear and exactly how I am feeling. I've tried my own way for years and it continues not to work.

Its funny how alcohol clouds the brain. I looked back at some of my journals. I was sober for half of 2013, 9 months of 2014 and then drunk again for over a year. I couldn't recall how long I stayed dry but I know for sure how long I was drunk. Now I'm back. I tried my own way for the last time and it didn't work. So I have no choice but to turn it over to God, as I understand Him, because I can't do it by my own efforts.

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Troy M. wrote:I tried my own way for the last time and it didn't work. So I have no choice but to turn it over to God, as I understand Him, because I can't do it by my own efforts.
You never again ever have to try any of our own ways that never work. Welcome to what we call "The Broad Highway".

The first gate was narrow so the ego could not come along, and you need have no fear of it -- just be circumspect and wary of it -- as long as you continue in our new way.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

whipping post
Forums Contributor

Post by whipping post »

Troy M. wrote: I've been to 3 different meetings here in my city and the dynamics of each are different.
That's awesome. If you visit each one you will probably find a couple in particular that really work well for you. Keep it up and congrats on 11 days. That's huge.

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I am happy to hear that Troy. Hope you find some good meetings that is based on the literature, especially the big book. I would focus on the chapters "There is a solution" and "More About Alcoholism" to try to imbibe the true powerlessness and un-manageability concepts.

Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind (obsession), rather than in his body (physical craving).

Yet you will hear slogans like, if you don't take the first drink, you wont get drunk or its the engine not the caboose.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB »

I really like The Doctor's Opinion. I have a disease I cannot fight alone any more than I can fight cancer.
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 »

I really like The Doctor's Opinion.
Me too. The doctor beuatifully illustrates what happens after we put the first drinking in our body but puts too much emphazise on the phsyical craving (the body):

In this statement he confirms what we who have suffered alcoholic torture must believe-that the body of the alcoholic is quite as abnormal as his mind. It did not satisfy us to be told that we could not control our drinking just because we were maladjusted to life, that we were in full flight from reality, or were outright mental defectives. These things were true to some extent, in fact, to a considerable extent with some of us. But we are sure that our bodies were sickened as well. In our belief, any picture of the alcoholic which leaves out this physical factor is incomplete.

Elese where he again, overlooks the queer mental twist:

They took a drink a day or so prior to the date, and then the phenomenon of craving at once became paramount to all other interests so that the important appointment was not met. These men were not drinking to escape; they were drinking to overcome a craving beyond their mental control.

But AAers wrote the chapters "There is a solution" and "More about alcoholism" to illustrate the "queer mental twist".

Therefore, the main problem of the alcoholic centers in his mind (it tricks him into taking the first drink), rather than in his body.
Show him the mental twist which leads to the first drink of a spree. We suggest you do this as we have done it in the chapter on alcoholism.(Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Troy M. »

Update--Today is day 14. I'm just taking it one day at a time. My temporary sponsor has me working on my grudge/resentment list. I'm also identifying a couple of fears - success, failure, being a fraud -- that are giving me some insight into my grudge list as well. Doing lots of reading and highlighting. I'm off work today, so going to hit a noon meeting.

I'm feeling good but trying to remain pretty circumspect about what is happening. Not really floating on pink clouds now, but really enjoying not having my brain fogged up with alcohol and what not.

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Troy M. wrote:....working on my grudge/resentment list...identifying a couple of fears...lots of reading and highlighting...going to hit a noon meeting.

...trying to remain pretty circumspect...really enjoying not having my brain fogged up with alcohol and what not.
There you go. We head toward the light and the fog clears...and then later we can even begin looking for defects. For now, however, it is about seeing how we are affected by others and how we can develop new attitudes and actions so we at least no longer participate in setting ourselves up for needing or wanting a drink...

"We turned back to the list, for it held the key to the future...prepared to look at (both the list and the future in my own case) from an entirely different angle." (page 66)

For myself, that turned out to be the beginning of this: "...an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it." (page 89)
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Troy M. »

I'm going to step out in faith today and go early to the noon meeting and stay after. I'm going to ask someone for their phone number. I've not been offered any numbers in the past two weeks. I guess that's okay. Its my recovery I'm working on right now. Or perhaps they remember that I never called when I was last in the rooms in 2015.

But, I've got to get through the hesitance to ask for help.

Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Post by Larryp713 »

Troy M. wrote:I'm going to step out in faith today and go early to the noon meeting and stay after. I'm going to ask someone for their phone number. I've not been offered any numbers in the past two weeks. I guess that's okay. Its my recovery I'm working on right now. Or perhaps they remember that I never called when I was last in the rooms in 2015.

But, I've got to get through the hesitance to ask for help.
Troy - It sounds like you have that gift of desperation. That was a blessing for me when I finally had it and was willing to take action. Don't let this opportunity slip. If you reach out sincerely, you will be amazed at the number of people willing to help. Be humble and teachable and miracles will happen. All the best to you!!! Larry
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!

Troy M.
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Troy M. »

Larryp713 wrote: Troy - It sounds like you have that gift of desperation. That was a blessing for me when I finally had it and was willing to take action. Don't let this opportunity slip. If you reach out sincerely, you will be amazed at the number of people willing to help. Be humble and teachable and miracles will happen. All the best to you!!! Larry
Thanks Larry! I did go the meeting early yesterday and did enjoy the opportunity to visit. However, as the meeting began and went on, I got quiet and listened and then when it finished, I just put my head down and left. I can't be afraid to ask for help. One female offered some advice and I thanked her and headed for my car.

I didn't think it would be as hard to ask for help as it was to admit that I am an alcoholic. I spoke to my wife last night about it. She encouraged me to ask in God's time. I think that's right, but I get the impression that since I made the decision to turn my life and will over to Him, its always His time.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

At the meetings I go to we have sheets of paper hanging on the wall with a list of phone numbers of people willing to answer the phone any time of the day or night. After the next meeting go up to the secretary and ask if they have anything similar.

This will probably yield three things.

It will probably result in you getting at least one phone number. It will open the door to a more extended conversation and budding potential fellowship. You will have asked for help.

At the next meeting after that, when the meeting closes, turn to the person next to you and ask how you can help to clean up or put things away.

This will yield at least two things.

It will open the door to a more extended conversation and budding potential fellowship. You will have asked for help.

At the meeting after that one...