Dragging my butt to the AA meeting

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Re: Dragging my butt to the AA meeting

Post by ezdzit247 »

D'oh wrote: Although the Big Book doesn't call anything a "24 Hour Plan" it is set up as doing things to stay sober One Day at a Time...

Yup. The idea of staying sober "One Day At A Time" has been the cornerstone of the AA program since at least 1935, several years before the Big Book was written. Works for me....

55th Anniversary - 9th International - Seattle, WA - July 1990

AA's ·55th Anniversary and 9th International Convention was held in Seattle, Washington. 48,000
attendees from from 75 countries virtually took over the city to celebrate AA’s birthday from July 5 - 8,
1990. The theme was "Fifty-five Years - One Day at a Time."

At the time it was the largest convention ever hosted in Seattle. Source: "An Illustrated Timeline of AA History"
LOL....I guess the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous was "doing it wrong" by staying sober one day at a time for 55 years back in 1990, and those of us who stay sober ODAAT are still "doing it wrong" some 80 years later.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote: Before the book Bill used to take alcoholics to listen to Emmett Fox, he was a very popular preacher who never failed to speak of the benefits of living one day at a time, some in AA corrupted Bill's intent and started insinuating that he meant stay sober rather than live one day at a time.
And now we have absolute proof that he didn't mean we stop drinking one day at a time: EZ believes he did!
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Brock wrote:
Brock wrote: Before the book Bill used to take alcoholics to listen to Emmett Fox, he was a very popular preacher who never failed to speak of the benefits of living one day at a time, some in AA corrupted Bill's intent and started insinuating that he meant stay sober rather than live one day at a time.
And now we have absolute proof that he didn't mean we stop drinking one day at a time: EZ believes he did!
Ain't that the truth...Spammer on ez....Why don't you share with us all how you stay sober one day at a time? Then back it up where it says to do that in the directions. I think that's the least you could do.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

I find ESH to be empowering. I don't find much ESH here, more like schoolyard behavior.

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

It's all how you look at ESH....I find someone that get's on an AA site...Or walks into an AA meeting and tells a suffering alcoholic to just not drink one day at a time as playing with their life. Nowhere is that suggested in this program...As a matter of fact...They beg us with all the earnestness at their command to be fearless and thorough from the very start...To launch ourselves into action to solve our problem. That is the ESH of the founders of this program...As well as my own. Nothing schoolyard about that....This is life and death we are talking about.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

If even one person reading this exchange, sees that ours is more than a one day at a time recovery program, the childish behavior would have achieved more than many other threads do. It is the H at the end of the ESH that one or two wish to dash for the newcomer, by interpreting our program as forever one day at a time.

While it is unfortunate that the discussion took a turn away from what it started out as, the OP did get some good ES&H before that happened. And this sort of thing happens from time to time, some may say start a new thread rather than divert one in progress, but this is easier said than done. People get caught up in the moment as discussions like this develop, there can be few subjects more important than what the intent of the writers were in compiling the book we use as the basis of our program.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

Brock wrote:

You're quoting yourself misquoting AA history in a previous post as the authority for your point and calling it "absolute proof" ? LOL That's a big no no in any debate, but it's very entertaining. Thanks for the chuckle.... :lol:
Q: What’s the history of typical AA slogans like “First Things First” and “One Day at a Time”?
The question above is posted at aa.org along with this answer:
A. We don’t have a great deal of information about the origins of AA’s slogans and acronyms, but we can provide some sharing and preliminary information. Many of these slogans, as with other practices in AA, were simply passed along verbally to other members, so it is impossible to know who started using them first. It is possible that some of the slogans may have originally stemmed from a part of the Oxford Group Movement language, but it could also be that they were original with Bill and Dr. Bob and the early members.

Members have always inquired as to the origins of various slogans, and it has always been difficult to narrow down; in our research, we discovered a letter written by former GSO Archivist, Frank M., dated 1989, who responded to a similar question that was posed to him. This was Frank’s response, “Your interest in the origins of ‘One Day at a Time’ is shared by many of us. Like hand-holding, however, it’s difficult to pin-point the exact ‘moment.’” That is the problem we find with most of our AA slogans, unfortunately!

We do know, however, that many slogans commonly heard have been around since the early days of the Fellowship.
In December of 1958 Ruth Hock (non-alcoholic), who was AA’s first secretary, wrote a response to a similar question concerning different slogans. In her reply Ruth wrote:

“…Bill [W.] and I first worked together in January 1936 when he had been sober just a little over one year and at that time ‘Easy Does It,’ ‘Live and Let Live,’ and ‘First Things First,’ were part of the daily conversation. They were also used in the very first drafts of the book, but probably only Bill himself could tell you where he picked them up…

“As far as I’m concerned all of the above were introduced into A.A. by Bill W. himself although not original with him.

“Some of these could have been used in Oxford Group meetings but there is no way for sure.”

In addition to Ruth’s response, page 220 of Bill W.’s biography, Pass It On, also addresses this topic:

“Some ‘A.A. saws’ were also used as long ago as the late 1930s: ‘First Things First,’ ‘Easy Does It,’ ‘Live and Let Live.’ Because these appear in the first edition of the Big Book (at the end of the chapter on ‘The Family Afterward’), it’s probable that the use of the slogans originated with Bill and that he brought them with him from Vermont – old saws with new teeth.”
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne »

Stepchild wrote:. Nothing schoolyard about that....This is life and death we are talking about.
Schoolyard is a style of response. It is a choice, not a necessity. One can get their point across by choosing an alternate style and possibly be even more effective.

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Layne wrote:
Stepchild wrote:. Nothing schoolyard about that....This is life and death we are talking about.
Schoolyard is a style of response. It is a choice, not a necessity. One can get their point across by choosing an alternate style and possibly be even more effective.
This is a tremendous fact...

The tremendous fact for every one of us is that we have discovered a common solution. We have a way out on which we can absolutely agree, and upon which we can join in brotherly and harmonious action. This is the great news this book carries to those who suffer from alcoholism.
pg 17

Just because there is a small few that doesn't absolutely agree with it....And will go on for pages trying to prove their way is better....Or correct...Doesn't mean I have to sit back and listen to it. I'd be doing a disservice to AA if I did.

Brock
Trusted Servant

Post by Brock »

ezdzit247 wrote: You're quoting yourself misquoting AA history in a previous post as the authority for your point and calling it "absolute proof" ? LOL That's a big no no in any debate, but it's very entertaining. Thanks for the chuckle.... :lol:
Maybe it is just as well you didn't see that the absolute proof was the fact that you believed it was so, therefore it could never be.

At any rate this discussion has nearly run the course of the five pages the forum usually lets them run, so it will be locked in the near future, any last comments should be posted soon.

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

D'oh speaks of the fact that he stopped attending meetings and let the spiritual side slip after many years, which led to a relapse.
And has learnt a great deal from the experience. I do understand the true nature of MY malady and steps that I MUST do to be of better use to my Higher Power. I do not wish to forget it, but also wish that no one else has to go through it them selves.
avaneesh912 wrote: I could interpret this as, we have to go to meetings to stay spiritually fit. Hope Brock is not trying to imply that. The fellowship (meetings) though a vital part of recovery, we stay spiritually fit by working the 12 steps. I agree, every body does that to the best of their ability. I felt that my spiritual condition was slipping few weeks ago, so I prayed about it and found that I needed another sponsor so I can have a different prespective and so been following his suggestions (all from the big book). For lust he has prayer, for resentments he pointed out to the 4th step portion where others are spiritually skip, so we can have compassion/empathy. I do go to about 3 to 4 meetings but, I don't grow spiritually just by going to meetings.
You know what? I guess that you are some what correct. We don't grow just by going to meetings but as I have stated before. God does not have my phone number, and even if I did pick up the phone and hear "Hello this is God" I would most likely just hang up the phone as I would a prank call.

I truly believe that God talks through the people in the meetings, and in the coffee shop after the meetings. I hope that I have learnt the message that I need help to live in my own skin. (daily in my life)

D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Post by D'oh »

Brock wrote:If even one person reading this exchange, sees that ours is more than a one day at a time recovery program, the childish behavior would have achieved more than many other threads do. It is the H at the end of the ESH that one or two wish to dash for the newcomer, by interpreting our program as forever one day at a time.

While it is unfortunate that the discussion took a turn away from what it started out as, the OP did get some good ES&H before that happened. And this sort of thing happens from time to time, some may say start a new thread rather than divert one in progress, but this is easier said than done. People get caught up in the moment as discussions like this develop, there can be few subjects more important than what the intent of the writers were in compiling the book we use as the basis of our program.
Well maybe you could take the pamphlet up with the General Service Conference who approved the "24 Hour Plan". Page 14 of the Pamphlet "THIS IS A.A. AN INTRODUCTIO TO THE A.A. RECOVERY PROGRAM"

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-1_thisisaa1.pdf

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Q: What’s the history of typical AA slogans like “First Things First” and “One Day at a Time”?
Slogans are feel-good promotional tools for selling things like ice cream...

Beans Means Heinz (Heinz Baked Beans)
For mash, get Smash (Smash mashed potato)
Britain Deserves Better (Labour Party, UK, 1997)
The Power to be Your Best (Apple)
www*usingenglish*com/forum/threads/125062-Motto-vs-Slogan
www*differencebetween*com/difference-between-motto-and-vs-slogan/

...but "First Things First" is an A.A. live-accordingly motto derived from "Seek ye first the Kingdom..." as introduced primarily by Dr. Bob.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

I'm with Layne and I fear that all this bickering that's been going on in the last couple of weeks is going to run some newcomers off.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho »

Lali wrote:I'm with Layne and I fear that all this bickering that's been going on in the last couple of weeks is going to run some newcomers off.
I have not noticed or experienced any bickering here, but maybe you could help us see where something might appear that way?
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================