Dragging my butt to the AA meeting

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
D'oh
Forums Old Timer

Re: Dragging my butt to the AA meeting

Post by D'oh »

Lali wrote:I'm with Layne and I fear that all this bickering that's been going on in the last couple of weeks is going to run some newcomers off.
Although I am sorry that this thread has been sent sideways from a Newcomers comments and struggle, and do not wish any hard feelings or thoughts. I do think that there are points to be made that can help many.

I have read (and maybe between lines) in this thread, that once the Phenomenon of Craving has passed, we are somewhat cured of our illness. Nothing could be further from the truth. Alcohol was "but a symptom" of my illness. The problem was Living in my own skin. Something I still have to do daily, with or without any temptation to drink. But always with help of a Higher Power one day at a time. (who knows, there maybe a cure tomorrow)

So I for one don't want again to rest on my laurels or my butt.

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Lali wrote:I'm with Layne and I fear that all this bickering that's been going on in the last couple of weeks is going to run some newcomers off.
If learning the truth scares them away...I'm sure alcohol will scare them back. I don't see it as bickering either...We either absolutely agree with this common solution the books presents...And join in brotherly and harmonious action...Or we don't. The book is the one thing that holds this whole thing together...What is your take on it? Either one of you. You have a better way?

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

D'oh wrote: I have read (and maybe between lines) in this thread, that once the Phenomenon of Craving has passed, we are somewhat cured of our illness.
You read wrong....We are restored to sanity...Which prevents us from picking up the first drink...By the Grace of God...The physical craving never leaves us.

Brock
Forums Old Timer

Post by Brock »

I am afraid that this thread will now be locked, the forum moderators acting as the group conscience, made a decision some years ago that locking discussions after five pages was best to prevent needless repeating of views already expressed. As usual anyone is free to restart the topic in a new thread.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."