I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Re: I HAVE TO STOP DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

Post by whenley68 »

Lali, I'm a jokester, didn't take anything the wrong way, I'm good.

Thanks everyone. Today makes a week sober and I'm feeling no better or no worse, but feeling has never been my issue. I am gaining some hope by reading the big book online, reading other things online...I'm positive today.

I flew into DC yesterday and am visiting family in Virginia. My big test was at Clyde's Restaurant in Georgetown yesterday. Without giving any thought I stopped at the bar to see what was on tap and then as I was walking to our table ihade made up my mind it would be a Guiness stout. Just like that. Omg that is funny.

So I'm looking at the menu and I suddenly remember that I'm abstaining and was OK with that. So I had water, French onion soup and a burger and fries. Afterwards was thankful I didn't drink.

Today I will see some old HS friends, I'm so blessed!!!!
Life is what you make it. Be on the winning side of things.

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

ann2 wrote:Hi!

I see by the Kansas City area alcoholics anonymous Central Office site that the Crossroads group has meetings every day --

Sunday 5 pm
Monday noon
Tuesday 7 pm
Wednesday noon
Thursday 7 pm
Friday noon
Sat noon

You can call the AA office with this number: 816-471-7229 (24 hours a day)

Don't miss out. It's worth it!

Ann
Another AAer who has tried to go to meetings that weren't there . . . :evil:
Yep,that is the same site I get my info from. I saw my counselor the other day, we had a great discourse on me. I'm going to see a new DR next week, that makes me hopeful about the future. I need to help myself so I'm able to receive help and guidance. I read that....If you always do what you've always done, then you will always get what you've always gotten. That really helps my decision making today. It's like, OK Will, do the opposite of that S*** your thinking!!!!

kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Post by kenyal »

Hi whenley, glad you've got some support lined up for this change you're making to a better state of health. Participation in AA seems to firm that up for a lot of people, makes it an easier go than without. At some point if you attend you may want to mention the irritation you felt about those who are not acting responsibly.

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

kenyal wrote: At some point if you attend you may want to mention the irritation you felt about those who are not acting responsibly.
I think I will let bygones be bygones. It's not very good or prudent to talk too much about how things make us feel. Feelings are pretty unreliable too

mele
Forums Newcomer

Post by mele »

I cant reach anyone on here

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Welcome, mele. These boards tend to be pretty quiet on weekends but I'm sure others will be along to welcome you as the day goes on. Glad to have you here.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds »

wheneley68

congratulations on one week sober!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

Sorry everyone, I'm only 3 days now

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Whenley, no need to be sorry. What's important is you came right back. So, what are you going to do differently this time?

tyg
Forums Contributor

Post by tyg »

There are some great AA speakers on youtube. Some of my favorites are:

Mark H and Joe H big book study
Joe and Charlie big book study
Chris R
Chief Black Hawk
Mickey B
Bill Wilson autobiography
Clarence Snyder of the first 100 AA members
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~

whenley68
Forums Enthusiast

Post by whenley68 »

i'm back and going to give it another shot. the last two weeks i kinda slipped up and drank slightly. a few fifths of whiskey and a couple cases of beer, but nothing abnormal. I went to a meeting this morning about 40 miles from here only to find out it was for women only. that note was not listed on the scheduling and they apologized. i just don't think it is meant for me to go to aa, but for some reason need or feel the compulsion to talk with someone, you guys, about what is going on. it is a very lonely world, at least my world.

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Post by Niagara »

Hey Whenley

I can imagine you're pretty frustrated at the moment - I know I would be. Keep trying. You never know who you're going to meet at these meetings.....perhaps a sponsor next time. Have you managed to get in a meeting at all yet? Another option is to perhaps call the helpline as ann2 gave you in an earlier post. In my area, a 12th stepper will help you get to a meeting and they've usually been around long enough to know the ropes, as it were. I'm just thinking of face to face contact as you're feeling alone out there.
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

There is a wonderful AA club in Liberty, Mo. Should be an easy drive from Cameron. Several meetings a day.
...a score card reading zero...

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Spirit Flower wrote:There is a wonderful AA club in Liberty, Mo. Should be an easy drive from Cameron. Several meetings a day.
That sounds good! You could hit a couple meetings while you're there.

Face to face is great for people suffering from loneliness (and I think we all do in earl sobriety) F2F offers some things we here at e-aa don't - for instance some people go early to help set up the meeting. I always leave a meeting feeling good when I have made myself "a part of things" by making coffee or passing out books, or doing one of the readings at the beginning of the meeting, chairing a meeting, giving out the chips, cleaning up afterwards, etc.

bigshow8891
Forums Newcomer

Post by bigshow8891 »

First time posting on this board, although I've been in AA for a year now. I read through this thread and I am bummed to hear that the meetings didn't work out, especially since you are in the KC area. I too am in KC and I guarantee you there are tons of great meetings around here. Depending on how far you want to drive, I know there are meetings in Liberty, St. Joseph, and there's a good AA hall in Atchison across the state line.

Now if you want to drive farther but be guaranteed good meetings several times a day I suggest the group that meets at Unity Temple, near the Plaza. Schedule here: (Link deleted per Forum Policies) Another big group is Nuts & Bolts, in Shawnee. In Overland Park there is a hall on 87th that does over 5 meetings a day. All of the addresses for these meetings can be found on this website: (Link deleted per Forum Policies)

I promise you that the Unity Temple group and 87th street will have their meetings. There are countless other groups in the metro, but I mention these ones specifically because I know they always have good crowds at meetings and they are some of the biggest groups here. You will not show up alone.

Hope you get to a meeting soon.