New & 19 days sober!'

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Imperfect-Angel
Forums Newcomer

New & 19 days sober!'

Post by Imperfect-Angel »

Hi everyone :D Glad to have found this forum, any extra support is great! I've been to 7 meetings & feeling fantastic from all the support & welcoming...
Had a real tough emotional few days at the beginning of last week, but fought through it & extremely proud of myself at the strength I have had :D

Niagara
Forums Old Timer

Re: New & 19 days sober!'

Post by Niagara »

Hello and welcome, Imperfect angel, good to have you here :)

Has anyone discussed with you the importance of the 12 steps? These are what keep me well - meetings and willpower alone just wouldn't cut it for me. I also needed a sponsor to help me with these..show me the way, if you will. I had so much to learn :)

19 days is great - well done :)
If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month -
Theodore Roosevelt

2granddaughters

Post by 2granddaughters »

Welcome !!

As my sponsor told me in the beginning: "Keep coming back, it gets better". It was good advice.

All the best.
Bob R

Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Post by Roberth »

Hello Imperfect angel, and welcome to E-AA. My name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. Congratz on your 19 days
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!

Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tommy-S »

Welcome to e-AA

And congrats on the 19 days... Keep stacking up those 24 hours as it does pay off

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Imperfect-Angel
Forums Newcomer

Post by Imperfect-Angel »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone :) xxxx

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Imperfect-Angel wrote: Had a real tough emotional few days at the beginning of last week,
Yeh, we know that one. I was all-over the shop for a while. Up one moment, down the next. I was wanting to drink, but not wanting to drink to such an extent I felt confused about whether I should be a member of A.A.; I mean I thought it was for people who had a 'desire to stop drinking', but sometimes - often - I didn't think I had that. I'm a natural over-thinker by the way.

Driving was a problem because I just couldn't focus. I'd plan to go to point A, but lose myself in some day-dream and find myself at point B, then I'd try to get to point A, but end up at point C. I used to confuse AA meetings, so I'd end up at the 'right place' on the wrong day, and no-one would be there.

Then there was sleeping, or rather the lack of. :lol: That was a grind.

But like Tommy says, I just kept on stacking up the days and going to meetings. That was just the beginning of what's been a surprising journey, and it really is all worthwhile.

Oh, I did all the usual stuff people in A.A. suggest; I found a homegroup (chosen for all the wrong reasons but it worked out to be a learning experience in itself) where I turned up every week without fail and did some service. I found a sponsor, a Big Book guy, who is fantastic (I'm sure :lol: ), and he gently guided and prodded me through our 12 Step program of recovery, and strangely enough my relationship to life/existence has changed. I really do know a new freedom and happiness (I could always use a little more though, if you've got any spare).

Welcome to the forum; I love your positive attitude.

Regards

Tosh
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Db1105
Forums Contributor

Post by Db1105 »

Welcome!

zteknik
Forums Enthusiast

Post by zteknik »

Hello and welcome!
Congrats on 19 days, hopefully it's a bit more now ;)
Like Tosh was saying it was really tough to focus for me as well, but I knew I had to "get with the program"
Find a sponsor and a home group and work the steps, and I do mean work them-with your sponsor.
They will save your life and teach you how to live life and enjoy it :)

Those promises that they read at every meeting- they do come true, it's guaranteed only if we work for them.

desypete
Forums Contributor

Post by desypete »

well done on 19 days

keep coming back it will work if you work it

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali »

Hi, Angel. Please keep us updated on your progress and let us know how we may help!
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

4thDimension
Forums Enthusiast

Post by 4thDimension »

Congrats and Welcome!

That is fantastic. Keep coming.