Day 2

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Day 2

Post by Tommy-S »

Welcome Kellyuak,

Congrats on the days, which hopefully is 3 now :) Keep postponing that First Drink for 24 hours at a time (one hour at a time, if need be), it pays off.

The AA web site lists International Meetings, the Intergroup (Central Office) for Cyprus is:
Cyprus Intergroup Phone:Main: (357)2694-0772 Site: http://www.aa-europe.net
The call is FREE & CONFIDENTIAL.

Give them a ring. Tell them your concerns. Ask about the meetings in your locale. They'll be happy to help, and assign a volunteer to come talk with you, if you'd like, or meet you at one of the meetings.

There is strength in numbers, and together we get better.

Give them a call...If your drinking is like mine was, the only thing I had to lose was my misery :)

Best to you...Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

Kellyauk
Forums Newcomer

Post by Kellyauk »

Still going strong guys! Haven't managed to find a local AA meeting as yet. There is one buts its 40 minutes away and that's too far really. Told my closest friend at work and she has laughed saying most the people on base would be in AA if they did the test. However spoke to my supervisor and she was supportive saying that whatever the label of its better for me then to go for it. Have declined going out this Friday with the girls, I just don't want the temptation just yet!

Love the diarrhoea analogy! Really made sense to me, as I always say just the one or I won't drink and I always do. There is no will power!

It's still early days but I feel much happier in myself. Saturday will be the test as we are going to a BBQ for a friends birthday so implan to drive and I don't drink and drive so that will be fine. Well I hope so, if I find it hard my hubby said we can just leave and go somewhere else like the beach :)

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Kellyauk wrote:old my closest friend at work and she has laughed saying most the people on base would be in AA if they did the test. However spoke to my supervisor and she was supportive saying that whatever the label of its better for me then to go for it.
That was really brave of you and the responses you received seem on par with the kind of stuff people said to me.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Hanna
Forums Long Timer

Post by Hanna »

becksdad wrote:We are restless, irritable and discontent after a while of not drinking, and once the first drink is in us, we cannot stop drinking. I also proved to myself that this is a progressive and fatal disease - it continues to get worse, never better without treatment. But once I became willing to go to meetings and seek out help from other drunks who recovered from this disease, I found that there is a way to become free of it's devastating effects. And really, that is what happens - we become free. The problem becomes removed day to day, so long as we keep a simple attitude to be willing to do a few simple things. All I had to do was find out what those other recovered drunks did to bring this about, and then do those things myself.

Doesn't it sound inviting to envision a state where there is not a fight involved? to become free instead of strong? To realize a wonderment and happiness in life? To not be fearful all the time? There are so many blessings from recovery, but I found I could not do anything about it alone. I had to have others help. Together, we get better.

Thanks,..... Ed
Thanks Ed, your post made my day!
Keep posting,
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace