One month after

New to AA? Got questions? Here's the place to ask. Note that no one person speaks "officially" for AA. AA meetings in your local area are always the best source of information. Note that anyone may post and reply to messages in this forum.

One month after

Postby Ruthless006 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:54 pm

It’s been 30 days exactly. I am having issues and I want to know if these are normal. I’m having a lot of anxiety. I feel like I need to sleep all the time. Real run down. My heart rate seems high. I have bouts of fast heart rate, pounding pulse, and such. I always feel like I need more oxygen, like I’m not breathing right. I do however sleep extreamlly well now. I can sleep for 9 or 10 hours straight. That is. I’ve but the other stufff is debilitating. I wasn’t an everyday drinker but I was an every weekend heavy drinker for probably 20 years.
Ruthless006
Forums Newcomer

Re: One month after

Postby positrac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:12 am

I have to ask when the last time you had a detailed physical? Anxiety is a real deal and I know as I have to deal with it and I have peaks and valleys and I've been sober a very long time. 30 days is great and you are just starting to get your mind and body synced and so these changes have different effects on people. The anxiety part might have always been present and you never focused on it because you had other distractions and with the drinking on the weekends it might of kept this under the radar and now that you are free of the drink entirely you are not feeling right and that flight/freight part of you is in overdrive.

Go for a brisk walk, doing some kind of activity that gets your mind out and off focus on your body. Chop wood, play racket ball and I say this if you are able and semi active as exercise might be the prescription.

If you see a doctor I might suggest you be honest about your addiction and make it clean you need nothing that is going to make you trade one addiction for another as you want to be clean and sober and just get these points under control.

Be well and have a better week.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:32 am

Experiences vary. They vary a LOT.

I was at day 45 or so before I could even admit that I was a real alcoholic, 'the kind' who can never drink ever again. I was approaching 100 days before the worst, strongest part of the obsession subsided.

As I approached 180 days I began to realize that my thoughts are more rational, that my brain was no longer 'fuzzy.". I had not even realized I had been 'fuzzy-brained' until the fuzzy-brain began wearing off.

At 280 days I still had withdraw related nervousness and 'codependence' though in substantially reduced form.

There is a very important part of emotional health, of brain chemistry, governing one's ability to be happy, that doctors say returns sometime between 6 and 24 months.

Today (18 months out of 3 months treatment) I still have trust issues, over analyze, am long winded etc..

My character flaws, my tendency to procrastinate, to deny problems are problems etc., will be with me until God decides otherwise. I am a work in progress.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:01 am

1Peter5:10 wrote:Today (18 months out of 3 months treatment) I still have trust issues, over analyze, am long winded etc..

My character flaws, my tendency to procrastinate, to deny problems are problems etc., will be with me until God decides otherwise. I am a work in progress.

Funny you bring those up as now I kind of remember how some of the early years were and it seems I've forgotten more than I've learned over the years. I have those problems myself although I pick and chose the frequency. :lol:

What I can say is we are work in progress and it proves hope that this deal called AA does work as we work it. =biggrin
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby Roberth » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 am

Hello Ruthless66 welcome to E-AA, my Name is Robert and I am a Los Angeles area alcoholic. It might be a good idea to get checked out by a doctor if you can just to be on the safe side. Alcohol can hide many different medical issues. I think it takes 90 day to completely detox from alcohol so I sure you will be going through a lot of changes.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby 1Peter5:10 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:53 pm

If early sobriety has taught me nothing else, it has taught me that my analogies sometimes suck.

Picture your first year at summer camp, first year away from home, first season on the football team, stronger every day, or better still, first time on a roller coaster (complete with hanging-on was useless analogy.)

You get the idea. It was kinda like that for me.
1Peter5:10
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:51 am

I’m having a lot of anxiety. I feel like I need to sleep all the time. Real run down. My heart rate seems high.

We have been medicating this condition with booze, and we have arrived at a point where we realize booze is not working anymore. Thats where the program of AA helps us. We look at ourselves and see the selfishness and self-centeredness in every aspect of our life. We accept and we take remedial action to overcome the self.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Return to For the Newcomer